Chapala.com Webboard

Medical Labs

2Expats

Thanks all for the advise. We checked out both Chopo and Golab. Chopo was far more professional and less expensive. The results were emailed baçk in about 6 hours. 

The cost would have been about the same had they in done in Ontario. However, turnaround time is quite impressive. I also like the fact we get the results and not simply sent to the doctor who may or may not disclose the results.

23 minutes ago, 2Expats said:

The cost would have been about the same had they in done in Ontario. However, turnaround time is quite impressive. I also like the fact we get the results and not simply sent to the doctor who may or may not disclose the results.

In Canada, doctors can withhold test results from the patient?????

4 minutes ago, AndyPanda said:

Since when does anyone pay for lab work in Ontario? Or any province? Doesn't your doctor/GP do the requisitioning, and not the patient?

Not all lab work in Ontario is covered. The idea that Canada has some Utopic medical system is a fallacy. For instance I need to pay for PSA test, an early detection test for prostate cancer. All testing needs a doctor's requisition.

• Like 1

Welcome to the adult world of Mexican medicine. I'm sorry I'm late to the party but assumed (incorrectly) that you would have wanted a lab in Jocotepec. I always recommend the Chopo Lab. You can walk into any lab and order whatever you want checked out (blood tests) and the results will be sent wherever you want. It's a breath of fresh air.

34 minutes ago, Ferret said:

Welcome to the adult world of Mexican medicine. I'm sorry I'm late to the party but assumed (incorrectly) that you would have wanted a lab in Jocotepec. I always recommend the Chopo Lab. You can walk into any lab and order whatever you want checked out (blood tests) and the results will be sent wherever you want. It's a breath of fresh air.

No problem. We were heading to Chapala anyway for other things. Seems like setting up a bank account is a bigger challenge than we originally thought.

On 9/3/2021 at 7:36 PM, 2Expats said:

Yes, when lab work is requested it is requested by the doctor. The results are sent to them and they can share results at their discretion. 

When you get lab work in Ontario, you have your own independent online access to it.   Check LifeLabs website, you just need to create a user account (no charge).    Pretty sure that is the law, too.       Select a Province – LifeLabs

On 9/3/2021 at 6:26 PM, 2Expats said:

Not all lab work in Ontario is covered. The idea that Canada has some Utopic medical system is a fallacy. For instance I need to pay for PSA test, an early detection test for prostate cancer. All testing needs a doctor's requisition.

Nobody suggested it was Utopia. Not sure why someone has to make this comment every time Canadian medical system is discussed. And you are a Canadian? It's usually those of my countrymen who are against "universal health care" that keep flogging this dead horse.

8 minutes ago, AndyPanda said:

Nobody suggested it was Utopia. Not sure why someone has to make this comment every time Canadian medical system is discussed. And you are a Canadian? It's usually those of my countrymen who are against "universal health care" that keep flogging this dead horse.

Maybe people keep making this comment because it is true. If you are referring to the dead horse as the Canadian medical system, I would agree.