Chapala.com Webboard

It has Begun

RickS

Moderator 2 may not let this Post stand because it is not directly about Mexico, but....

Yesterday, at my local medical facility here in Colorado, I got my 3rd Pfizer vaccination... the booster.  I'm over 70 and its been 7 months since my last/second jab. Only a sore arm this morning. Grateful for the opportunity. 

On a side note, there was an article in the newspapers here yesterday that my County's ICU bed-count was.... full. 100%. The headlines talked about Covid-19 BUT when I researched farther into the subject I learned that this was somewhat misleading.... of the ICU capacity "only" 27% and 43% respectively at the two major medical facilities were actually Covid. But because of Covid these hospitals were short of staff, working overtime and having to set up non-ICU room for ICU care. Incidentally.... the percentage of non-vax'd in those ICU beds were approximately.... 98%!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Whipstock said:

Rick, did the topic of mix and match for the third shot get brought up? Or is the default for the third, what a person has already taken?

TIA

Well it didn't come up per se....   One of the 'Medical Systems' in my county... University of Colorado Medical Systems.... has a website where members can get announcements in addition to other electronic communications with one's docs.  This website 'announced' the availability of the booster and presented a page where one could answer some questions... or you sick now; have you been exposed; are you 70 or over or otherwise compromised....and make appointments for the booster. There was NO questions about how long it had been since one received their 2nd. There were available times every 15 minutes each day of the weekend(s) and some at night for Pfizer. 

When one requested an appointment one was asked 'Pfizer or Moderna' (as that is what/all they have ever provided). Since my previous two jabs were Pfizer that is the link I clicked on and had a host of appointment times.... starting about 30 minutes post the request. I got one about 2 hours out. I did NOT try and click the Moderna link but maybe I could have and maybe gotten that one... who knows. My wife got Moderna originally and when she clicked on that link yesterday the earliest available appointments were for Tuesday night Sept. 7th or then Saturday Sept. 18th.  

Our USA vaccination cards clearly show which vaccine we originally got. But I will say that when I walked into the hospital where jabs were ONLY being given for Pfizer, no one asked me to prove that I originally got Pfizer. AND my card was only asked for and updated AFTER I had the jab. I suspect that the priority is to get folks vaccinated and NOT to throw up any roadblocks to said.

So who knows.... I was/am just so thankful that I could easily get my booster at this point. 

P.S.  Just a little sore arm at the jab spot this morning. 

• Thanks 1

That's a tough ask gringal. There is suspicion that those who had Sars in 2003 may have some immunity to Covid-19. However, it is highly unlikely that measurable antibodies to that SARS infection are still circulating in your body. Which means that it's your T cells and B cells that are "remembering" that original infection and spurring antibody production to some of the same antigens that are shared between SARS and Covid-19. I have no idea how that gets measured beforehand.

50 minutes ago, gringal said:

Thanks, but that doesn't exactly answer my question, which refers to people who have NOT yet had the virus.

We all have some level of natural immunity to any virus that enters our body. The ability to fight it is dependent on the amount of virus a person is exposed to and their state of health at that time.  Some peoples immune systems are stronger than others.  

Think of the virus as smoke from a fire. The average person could inhale some with minimal annoyance, and no post exposure problems. A sick person or a person with lung disease would have more problems..... more smoke might cause eye watering and coughing with some time for the body to recover,  and in a closed room unable to breathe then unconsciousness which if stopped in time might require medical attention.  If not stopped in time death. 

1 hour ago, gringal said:

Thanks, but that doesn't exactly answer my question, which refers to people who have NOT yet had the virus.

As far as I have been able to research, the question of natural immunity is conceptual and not scientific. Not even the WHO has an answer: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjxuYWvitnyAhULkmoFHVqBAtgQFnoECAYQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fapps.who.int%2Firis%2Fbitstream%2Fhandle%2F10665%2F341241%2FWHO-2019-nCoV-Sci-Brief-Natural-immunity-2021.1-eng.pdf&usg=AOvVaw1bJ6KE8BUDVbxd-mRJhvx9

1 hour ago, lakeside7 said:

I can't  understand why well intentioned folks with Mr Goggle medical experience attempt to offer expert advise,  worst still the other folks of similar status argue with them.

For god sake talk to your medical doctor,  not a floor  mechanic 

There are a lot of people on this forum and InsideLakeside with medical experience. I used to be a Registered Medical Technologist who worked mostly in Microbiology and Chemistry. Others are Registered Nurses and others are Registered Inhalation Therapists. Others are Doctors of Medicine. We post because we understand the lingo and the danger. I try and post links from google that are usually easy to read for the average person. And I usually post links from reputable sources. Happy now?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

There is something very interesting to me, happening in Chiapas.. Very few indigenous get vaccinated. They take tea when they get sick and most of them seem to come out ok.. I have many receipes for those teas.. This seems to work for people in the highlands but the people in the tierra caliente die.. In areas like Tuxtla, Chiapa de Corzo, Venustianoo Carranza, Palenque and the jungle people die.. 

It is interesting to me because in France they believe that the contamination goes down with the warm weather which contradict totally what is happening in Chiapas.

Most of my indigenous friends have had covid last May , June and July a year ago and now the fever is starting again with the headaches so they seem to be getting the Delta variant but so far in the communities in the highlands the death toll does not seen to be going up.. 

I wish some researcher would investigate what is going on.  In the communities, they wear no mask, most of them are campesinos and spend most of their time outside but they have large fiestas, where people gather . They are all getting the virus but seem to survive it.. It is all pretty strange. Meanwhile many friends in the Tierra caliente are dying , most of them in their 30 s and 40 ss and unvaccinated.

A doctor from tierra caliente told me they also have dngue in te tierra caliente so it does not help. 

The tea is nothig remarquable  onion, garlic cinamon , hierrba santa , ginger and a few other condiments.. I dboubt that it is the miracle cure, of course they also inclue a few shots of Pox, the sugar cane eau de vie..  in Oaxaca they have similar remedies with Mezcal, starting the day with 2 shots of Mezcal. They also use the Temescal and breath vapor of more tea...with a rag over  the head to breath the boiling potient .

On 8/29/2021 at 10:08 AM, RickS said:

Moderator 2 may not let this Post stand because it is not directly about Mexico, but....

Yesterday, at my local medical facility here in Colorado, I got my 3rd Pfizer vaccination... the booster.  I'm over 70 and its been 7 months since my last/second jab. Only a sore arm this morning. Grateful for the opportunity. 

On a side note, there was an article in the newspapers here yesterday that my County's ICU bed-count was.... full. 100%. The headlines talked about Covid-19 BUT when I researched farther into the subject I learned that this was somewhat misleading.... of the ICU capacity "only" 27% and 43% respectively at the two major medical facilities were actually Covid. But because of Covid these hospitals were short of staff, working overtime and having to set up non-ICU room for ICU care. Incidentally.... the percentage of non-vax'd in those ICU beds were approximately.... 98%!

Dear Rick- your post affects the whole world; Mexico included--no worries, I've got your back-- and so does Moderator # 2- 

9 hours ago, Ferret said:

There are a lot of people on this forum and InsideLakeside with medical experience. I used to be a Registered Medical Technologist who worked mostly in Microbiology and Chemistry. Others are Registered Nurses and others are Registered Inhalation Therapists. Others are Doctors of Medicine. We post because we understand the lingo and the danger. I try and post links from google that are usually easy to read for the average person. And I usually post links from reputable sources. Happy now?

wow--YOU GOT IT DOWN ! no thanks, not happy now--HA-- I'll trust the floor mechanic--the nurses and doctors on the ground- first responders !