Chapala.com Webboard

Tropical Storm Nora

7 hours ago, Floradude said:

Only 0.35 inches of rain so far at my house this AM (Sat.).  Expect more today.

3/10 of an inch in Jocotepec

At 4 pm an inch so far today.

As long as everyone in effected areas can plan and move out of danger it's a great thing to have the rains of storms. The winds will make some damages of loose things and plants but the water is a very needed part of life for not only humans. On the human side in the USA the water shortage is having a bad effect. I'll bet there are countless persons in the USA watching and aching for the rain clouds to reach them. Must be miserable.

8 minutes ago, virgo lady said:

Meanwhile, in the Gulf, here comes IDA.

As in.....I'da get da heck outta 'Nawlins and area, if I were them.

That place just doesn't have luck. Was telling a friend last night don't move to New Orleans. Starting to think land locked boat houses might be a thing of the future for them :) 

16 minutes ago, virgo lady said:

If they need more convincing, share this link with them:

Louisiana has suffered from back-to-back climate disasters - CNN

It's interesting funny to see how the term weather has been change to climate change. Used to be common to blame the weatherman for being wrong. Now when the weatherman is blaming everybody for what they do it's oh yah we are wrong :)

Seems everyone has short memories for days of old and the extreme fluctuations of the weather sometimes. But it's generations of kids growing up that didn't play outside or work outside all the time to develop a memory of you just don't get things your way with the weather all the time. Must be a TV weatherman conspiracy to deflect blame :)

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

You are reaching, and wrong. It's weather and we all know it. However, we also know how much today's weather patterns, those that are fluctuating wildly from what we've known over our lifetimes (including, for example "once in a hundred year storms" that are now occurring almost yearly), have been affected by climate change and global warming. And it's not the first time, but it is the first time there have been humans populating the planet at the same time, and thus we are able to talk about it. And thank the gods for that, because maybe we can help do something about it through awareness.

Since awareness is the key, while you may be bored or amused with all the talk about climate change, I for one hope it's on everyone's lips often enough that it becomes important to every living soul.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

With the way human development strips the land installing roads and building the only true fix is either get rid of development or start erupting volcanoes. Although I hear you can get a deal from industrialists for trillions to throw chemicals in the air to block the sun. Always nice to get a cure from the cause paying both ways.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I keep hearing "once in a hundred year storm", but you are not getting my attention until I hear "once in a hundred thousand year or once in a million or even a billion year storm" ...however CNN was not around then!!!

Age of the Earth | National Geographic Society

Earth is estimated to be 4.54 billion years old, plus or minus about 50 million years. Scientists have scoured the Earth searching for the oldest rocks to radiometrically date. In northwestern Canada, they discovered rocks about 4.03 billion years old.

7 hours ago, virgo lady said:

Meanwhile, in the Gulf, here comes IDA.

As in.....I'da get da heck outta 'Nawlins and area, if I were them.

Seems they are getting it right this time an people are headed to Texas and parts unknown. The levees all it takes is one weak spot out of the miles. Surge is supposed to be high.with a Category 4 strength. 

Couple years back a cam with audio that was on a hotel on the east coast of Mexico during a hurricane you could hear a family gathering watching the storm as the building swayed. Every time gusts swayed the building the girls would scream like they were on a roller coaster. It was funny hearing.

Nuevo Vallarta Beach     It's getting windy.
https://www.webcamtaxi.com/en/mexico/nayarit/nuevo-vallarta-beach.html

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Stream said:

It's interesting funny to see how the term weather has been change to climate change. Used to be common to blame the weatherman for being wrong. Now when the weatherman is blaming everybody for what they do it's oh yah we are wrong :)

Seems everyone has short memories for days of old and the extreme fluctuations of the weather sometimes. But it's generations of kids growing up that didn't play outside or work outside all the time to develop a memory of you just don't get things your way with the weather all the time. Must be a TV weatherman conspiracy to deflect blame :)

We all have our preferred sources for information. I prefer to listen to local internationally recognized alternative energy and climate expert, Dr Don Aiken, rather than someone babbling on a local Web Board. You can watch several of his recent presentations on the Open Circle videos.

1 hour ago, gringohombre said:

I keep hearing "once in a hundred year storm", but you are not getting my attention until I hear "once in a hundred thousand year or once in a million or even a billion year storm" ...however CNN was not around then!!!

Makes absolutely no sense. In what capacity or equivalence are you making this statement? Hundred-year storms are records of what we have witnessed since people started tracking weather.

27 minutes ago, AndyPanda said:

Makes absolutely no sense. In what capacity or equivalence are you making this statement? Hundred-year storms are records of what we have witnessed since people started tracking weather.

Yes, and how long have people been tracking records in relation to the billions of years of the earths existence? How can you make absolute conclusions based on this??? Once the earth was covered in ice and another time it was a tropical hothouse!!! And that was a long time before automobiles!!!