Chapala.com Webboard

Which Cash Machine to change a PIN #

Trying to change the PIN on my Canadian Mastercard, which requires a call to Canada, a loooong hold, and a request to approve a 12 hour window in which to do so. I've called twice and tried 5 different machines in all; at least two of these displayed Interac & Mastercard symbols, but every machine told me they were "temporarily unable to contact my financial institution." This wasn't just one day and maybe bad internet, but 2 attempts, 3 or 4 weeks apart.

So... 3rd time lucky? Has anyone else succeeded in accomplishing a change, and at which machine? Please specify location details. I'm  getting pretty frustrated.

Here is an example of how to do that at a Santander Bank....

https://customerservice.santanderbank.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/268/~/how-do-i-change-the-pin-for-my-atm%2Fdebit-card%3F

How do I change the PIN for my ATM/Debit Card?

Answer

You now have the ability to Create or Change your Debit, Credit, or ATM CARD PIN through your Mobile Banking app.

For complete information click on the following link: Create or Change Card PIN in Mobile Banking.
IMPORTANT! You will be required to verify your identity through One Time Passcode.

OR

You may change your ATM/Debit Card PIN at most Santander ATMs or by calling our Automated Telephone Banking System at 1-877-768-2265 and follow the appropriate prompts.

IMPORTANT! You will need to know the original PIN assigned to your Santander ATM / Debit Card in order to create a new PIN.

To change your bank card PIN at most Santander Bank ATMs.  

1.     Enter your ATM / Debit Card and existing PIN
2.     At the bottom of the screen, select More
3.     Select Change PIN.
4.     Enter PIN and select

5.     Re-enter PIN and select OK

Result: PIN change has been completed

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Karina G said:

Trying to change the PIN on my Canadian Mastercard,

Do you do on-line banking with your Canadian bank? If yes, either phone them or go in and send a secure message, telling them the problem. If your MasterCard came via them (our Visa cards are linked to RBC) they should be able to help you.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, RickS said:

Here is an example of how to do that at a Santander Bank....

You now have the ability to Create or Change your Debit, Credit, or ATM CARD PIN through your Mobile Banking app.

You may change your ATM/Debit Card PIN at most Santander ATMs or by calling our Automated Telephone Banking System at 1-877-768-2265 and follow the appropriate prompts.

IMPORTANT! You will need to know the original PIN assigned to your Santander ATM / Debit Card in order to create a new PIN.

(1) She's talking about a Canadian credit card

(2) Not everyone (me included) HAS a Mobile Banking app

(3) You then refer to the PIN assigned to "...your Santander ATM / Debit Card..."       don't think that was the question.....

• Like 1

You're probably right... but it was the 'process' that I was referring to, not the bank/card.

And maybe a mobile app IS a way to facilitate a Pin change from afar.... never know until ones tries, and getting an App for one's bank account is not a hard exercise especially IF it might solve a long-distance problem like this one.  Just trying to help....

Couple problems with suggestions so far. If the process includes inserting my old pin, I'm screwed from the get-go, `cause forgetting it was the reason the card got blocked in the first place. Also, I'm not smart-phone literate. I do everything I can on my laptop because the phone I have would be, at best, somewhere in the "borderline" range on the Wechsler scale. 8G Memory, not enough to load any apps and holds about 2 photos. Appreciate the helpful intention, in any case.  Maybe the Santander machine also handles international credit cards, like if a Canadian wanted a cash advance?

As to online banking, I don't have an account anymore with the bank that issued the card, tho I check and download my statement through their site.  Now I've locked myself out of THAT because I tried too many times to enter my password from memory. Friday 13th running true to form...

18 minutes ago, Karina G said:

Couple problems with suggestions so far. If the process includes inserting my old pin, I'm screwed from the get-go, `cause forgetting it was the reason the card got blocked in the first place. Also, I'm not smart-phone literate. I do everything I can on my laptop because the phone I have would be, at best, somewhere in the "borderline" range on the Wechsler scale. 8G Memory, not enough to load any apps and holds about 2 photos. Appreciate the helpful intention, in any case.  Maybe the Santander machine also handles international credit cards, like if a Canadian wanted a cash advance?

As to online banking, I don't have an account anymore with the bank that issued the card, tho I check and download my statement through their site.  Now I've locked myself out of THAT because I tried too many times to enter my password from memory. Friday 13th running true to form...

Add to that if you don't already have your bank's app on your phone or pad you can probably not download it in Mexico. You would need to use a VPN with a Canadian IP address or possibly USA IP address

I guess I'd have to agree with your assessment.... overall.   "I'm screwed from the get-go"

+ forgetting the Pin

+ the card is blocked 

+ Not smart-phone literate.

+ 8G Memory, not enough to load any apps

+ don't have an account anymore with the bank that issued the card

... and then add in Friday 13th, and I'd agree that you are basically screwed.

11 minutes ago, Karina G said:

I still need to know if there's a machine somewhere at Lakeside where I can successfully change a pin number. The process is very simple; the problem is finding the machine. The alternatives are all very well but don't address my original question.  

Is it possible to email the bank and ask for local locations that you can use?

May require a trip to GDL, but it "could" get it done.

Even activating my RBC Visa was a pain. Good luck.👍 

11 hours ago, Karina G said:

I still need to know if there's a machine somewhere at Lakeside where I can successfully change a pin number. The process is very simple; the problem is finding the machine. The alternatives are all very well but don't address my original question.  

I doubt you will find ANYONE here who has found themselves in your dire situation AND I really doubt that even is one is found it will let you 'proceed' if you don't even know the current PIN # and are otherwise locked out.  Safety precautions would suggest that one could not just walk up to an ATM with a card and, not knowing the PIN #, and change it so that they could successfully drain a bank account. 

I also think that your original assessment of "I'm screwed from the get-go" is going to prevail.

25 minutes ago, RickS said:

I doubt you will find ANYONE here who has found themselves in your dire situation AND I really doubt that even is one is found it will let you 'proceed' if you don't even know the current PIN # and are otherwise locked out.  Safety precautions would suggest that one could not just walk up to an ATM with a card and, not knowing the PIN #, and change it so that they could successfully drain a bank account. 

I also think that your original assessment of "I'm screwed from the get-go" is going to prevail.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. The ONLY way to change a pin is to phone contact customer service of the issuing bank of the card or the 800# on the back of the card. I am Canadian and my cards are Visa issued by Scotiabank in Canada.

My instructions to change the PIN number CAME from Master Card/Bank of Montreal in Canada, where it's apparently easier to find a cash machine equipped to do this. I have to call them back now and request they open a new 12 hour window in which I can make the change. SOMEONE at Lakeside must have needed to make a pin change at some point; if you haven't done it here you needn't comment, because the location of such a machine is the only info I require.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1