Chapala.com Webboard

FYI Canadians crossing by land into the US

cedros

20 minutes ago, Natasha said:

BUT....  Canada does not recognize many of the vacc's used here (Sinovac, Cansino, etc) so if that's what one has had, they will still be required to quarantine on arrival there.

I have a recognized vaccine and I can get a different second one enroute (i think) to Canada.

54 minutes ago, cedros said:

I have a recognized vaccine and I can get a different second one enroute (i think) to Canada.

I read recently that you must be fully vaccinated for two weeks prior to crossing into Canada to avoid quarantine. I have no plan to go to Canada anytime soon so I didn't pay close attention to where I read it.

• Thanks 1

Just now, mattoleriver said:

I read recently that you must be fully vaccinated for two weeks prior to crossing into Canada to avoid quarantine. I have no plan to go to Canada anytime soon so I didn't pay close attention to where I read it.

Yes. Needs to be 14 days from 2nd vax to avoid the quarantine.

On 8/12/2021 at 8:29 PM, mattoleriver said:

I am full vaccinated for more than three weeks.

1 hour ago, RickS said:

... but you said, "I have a recognized vaccine and I can get a different second one enroute (i think) to Canada."

Yes. So? That is encouraged.

Dr. Sanjay Gupta suggested it on CNN. People get a single vaccination of the J & J and are considered fully vaccinated. After a bit they can a vaccination of Pfizer and/or Moderna. My neighbours just had it done in Illinois.  

I know people that have had 4 vaccinations

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

43 minutes ago, RickS said:

By whom?  Fully vaccinated folks, whether it be a single shot or 2-shot vaccines, are not being issued "boosters" anywhere to my knowledge.

A Centers for Disease Control and Prevention advisory committee approved recommendations on Friday that offered guidelines on who should receive a third dose of COVID-19 vaccine because of a weakened immune system.  

The CDC's advisory committee on vaccines spent four hours Friday considering evidence on the safety and effectiveness of extra shots for specific groups of people whose immune systems do not work well, either because of disease or medication.

They voted unanimously to offer a third shot to a very narrow band of people: the 2.7 million Americans with the weakest immune systems, who were unlikely to get adequate protection from their initial shots. 

Studies summarized Friday suggest an extra dose is safe for most people who are immunocompromised and increases their chance of getting protection against COVID-19.

People who should be considered for a third dose include:

Those in active cancer treatment; those who have received organ transplants and are taking immunosuppressive therapy;

People who have received CAR-T cell or blood stem cell transplants;

People who suffer from moderate or severe primary immunodeficiency (such as those with DiGeorge or Wiskott-Aldrich syndromes);

People with advanced or untreated HIV infection;

And those taking 20 milligrams or more or corticosteroids like prednisone every day, or alkylating agents, antimetabolites, transplant-related immunosuppressive drugs, severely immunosuppressive cancer chemotherapeutic agents, TNF blockers, and other biologic agents that are immunosuppressive or immunomodulatory.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cedros said:

Dr. Sanjay Gupta suggested it on CNN.  My neighbours just had it done in Illinois.  

I know people that have had 4 vaccinations

Well then by all means you've got irrefutable proof that you should forge ahead....

• Haha 1

On 8/13/2021 at 2:30 PM, Mostlylost said:

A Centers for Disease Control and Prevention advisory committee approved recommendations on Friday that offered guidelines on who should receive a third dose of COVID-19 vaccine because of a weakened immune system.  

The CDC's advisory committee on vaccines spent four hours Friday considering evidence on the safety and effectiveness of extra shots for specific groups of people whose immune systems do not work well, either because of disease or medication.

They voted unanimously to offer a third shot to a very narrow band of people: the 2.7 million Americans with the weakest immune systems, who were unlikely to get adequate protection from their initial shots. 

Studies summarized Friday suggest an extra dose is safe for most people who are immunocompromised and increases their chance of getting protection against COVID-19.

People who should be considered for a third dose include:

Those in active cancer treatment; those who have received organ transplants and are taking immunosuppressive therapy;

People who have received CAR-T cell or blood stem cell transplants;

People who suffer from moderate or severe primary immunodeficiency (such as those with DiGeorge or Wiskott-Aldrich syndromes);

People with advanced or untreated HIV infection;

And those taking 20 milligrams or more or corticosteroids like prednisone every day, or alkylating agents, antimetabolites, transplant-related immunosuppressive drugs, severely immunosuppressive cancer chemotherapeutic agents, TNF blockers, and other biologic agents that are immunosuppressive or immunomodulatory.

Regardless of what the CDC says you can get a third dose in many places. Family members are urging me to get a 4th and 5th vaccination but it does not seem fair to those who have never been vaccinated. On CNN today they estimated that 100 million people have gotten extra doses then later they said 1 million. When you think about it we are just talking about antibodies-what harm can be done if you get a few more. No reasonable reason for it to be unsafe.

2 minutes ago, cedros said:

Regardless of what the CDC says you can get a third dose in many places.

You can probably get 20 doses if you work at it.  That does not mean there is good science saying it is OK..  or if it is safe.....The CDC says they have approved the 3rd dose based on actual testing by Pfizer & Moderna. 

• Like 1

4 and 5 vaccinations when most people in the world do not have access to vaccination is absurd.   and then you wonder why Americans get a bad name.. It is pretty offensive, if you ask me and stupid.. You will end up with a virus or several that do not get neutralize by the actual vaccines anyways and then you will have to get more vaccines ... it is insane.  Wear masks, observe distance and stay pu is your best bet.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Natasha said:

Accepted COVID-19 vaccines in Canada

Pfizer-BioNTech (Comirnaty, tozinameran, BNT162b2)

Moderna (mRNA-1273)

AstraZeneca/COVISHIELD (ChAdOx1-S, Vaxzevria, AZD1222)

Janssen/Johnson & Johnson (Ad26.COV2.S)

Yes.

CNN estimates that 1, 000,000 Americans have had extra vaccines.

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

You can probably get 20 doses if you work at it.  That does not mean there is good science saying it is OK..  or if it is safe.....The CDC says they have approved the 3rd dose based on actual testing by Pfizer & Moderna. 

Who is to say it is bad science or that there is any problem it. Millions of Americans have had extra vaccines. The CDC is usually a few steps behind. 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, cedros said:

Who is to say it is bad science or that there is any problem it. Millions of Americans have had extra vaccines. The CDC is usually a few steps behind. 

Yes the job of the CDC and FDA (who approved the 3rd dose based on studies by Pfizer & Moderna) is to be cautious. That is their job. 

We can be sure that your research is far superior to theirs. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, cedros said:

Regardless of what the CDC says you can get a third dose in many places. Family members are urging me to get a 4th and 5th vaccination but it does not seem fair to those who have never been vaccinated. On CNN today they estimated that 100 million people have gotten extra doses. When you think about it we are just talking about antibodies-what harm can be done if you get a few more. No resonable reason for it to be unsafe.

Should you have added a satire alert to this post? You can't be serious...

11 hours ago, bmh said:

4 and 5 vaccinations when most people in the world do not have access to vaccination is absurd.   and then you wonder why Americans get a bad name.. It is pretty offensive, if you ask me and stupid.. You will end up with a virus or several that do not get neutralize by the actual vaccines anyways and then you will have to get more vaccines ... it is insane.  Wear masks, observe distance and stay pu is your best bet.

Not according to the "experts". Vaccinations are the best bet.