Chapala.com Webboard

Closing my USAA account

Lexy

Sadly USAA's service has gone so far downhill it's now a pain to try to deal with it.

We discovered USAA when Banamex abruptly closed the accounts of many Lakesiders, ours included. USAA didn't require a US address (at that time). Since it caters to active or retired US military, my husband, a retired US Navy vet,  fit the profile. Since 2014, USAA turned out to be one of the best banks we ever had. Being in touch by phone was a breeze. The reps were good, mostly. Transfers of money from our account to another US bank were free. A partial refund on ATM fees. Good stuff. 

Now the wait time for a call to reach a representative is at least 20 minutes to as much as 59 minutes, according to a recorded message--and I've had the messsage itself break down just when it's about to give the wait time. I'm willing to play online solitaire while waiting, but only for 20 minutes.

I've been trying to add a niece in the States to my account since my husband died. Early on, I got a rep who told my that unless my niece was in the military she couldn't be added to the account. (The rep was wrong but I didn't learn that until months later when another rep told me otherwise.) Still, I've sent in the same rquired documents more than once and she's not on the account yet. 

The constant long wait to reach a rep can be a real deal breaker and  cause me to close the account. I've read news reports that USAA has its problems. I'll wait a while in the hopes that their banking services can and will improve, back to the way they used to be. But at my age frankly I don't have a lot of time to waste.

How are the rest of you with USAA accounts doing?

Lexy

I too was one of those who was told to close my USA Banamex bank account within 30 days.  I transferred the money into my Mexican Banamex account.  Now Citibanamex.   Fortunately I did not have a Credit Card with the US bank.  To this day I use my Wells Fargo account and Credit card which I have had at least 30 years.  Wells Fargo knows I am in Mexico.

Since I joined USAA bank a few years ago, I have been extremely happy. Wish that I had done so years earlier. Haven't had to call for a few months but cannot remember anywhere near that wait time. 

Can you be more explicit regarding this: "I've read news reports that USAA has its problems" ?

USAA has been advertising nation wide. I'm sure that eats a lot of customer service agents up. Could be the hours that you call coinciding with advertising. I think you can do everything online can't you? Probably even a chat box where a helper can guide you through. 

• Like 1

We've had USAA Banking for about 40 years, living overseas twice (Germany and now Mexico) with excellent service the entire time. Rarely need to call them, as we use their extensive online services, but when we call their 1-800 number, we get quick service, too. 

I would note that nearly all telephone service systems (banks, airlines, brokerages, car rentals) are experiencing extreme delays because they had to let people go during the pandemic, and can't bring them back fast enough. Airlines report 8 hour wait times, if you get through at all.

I have several friends that have dropped their USAA insurance, which is different than USAA banking. Apparently USAA insurance rates aren't as good as they once were; I thought they were great once-upon-a-time, but only have rental car insurance with them today. Maybe those are the problems you heard.

I would only add that before switching, I would check to see how the phone service at other banks is. You could simply call them and see what the wait times are, for example,

I've had USAA since the 60s. They presently provide coverage for my US located small condo and my Honda which is in storage up North.

I too, have always had the greatest of service from them.  

I'm sorry, Lexy, you are having problems