Chapala.com Webboard

Vehicle Storage

I will be returning to the States soon and I need a place to store my vehicle until my return in May of next year.  Any ideas/suggestions where I could safely store it until I get back?  

Thanks in advance.

Thank you all for your input.  Just to clarify- I do have Jalisco plates and insurance.  Points well taken and to be considered by others having the same storage needs.

Could put some fuel preservative in before filling up. Filling up the tank makes less air space for moisture to condensate putting the water in your gas repeatedly during every temperature swing back and forth. Maybe a little water remover when picking the car up. One of the curses of ethanol gas is it soaks up water more readily than plain gas because it has alcohol in it. The gas additive for water remover I think is mostly alcohol to get the water to mix with the gas so the water doesn't plug injectors. Good luck getting good storage. 

If you don't find a place you could ask around your neighbourhood if there are any properties that have an empty, secure garage. 

On 7/17/2021 at 5:40 PM, Mostlylost said:

That doesn't look like a very secure place. Couldn't people climb the fence and steal parts. Or maybe they have serious watch dogs that live on site.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

Extremely secure. Guarded 24 hours. Can store outside or in an individual storage unit.

What do they have for security? What is behind that hurricane fence in the background?

I had problems when I stored a vehicle in a secure place in PV. They wanted keys to the car in case they had to move it. It took me awhile to realize that they were renting out the car when I was up north. I started keeping track of the odometer and one time they turned it back too far so I built my own garage. Then mice got in and chewed some of the wires and they had a nest behind the dash. One day when driving baby mice fell down to my feet. 

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, cedros said:

I had problems when I stored a vehicle in a secure place in PV. They wanted keys to the car in case they had to move it. It took me awhile to realize that they were renting out the car when I was up north. I started keeping track of the odometer and one time they turned it back too far so I built my own garage. Then mice got in and chewed some of the wires and they had a nest behind the dash. One day when driving baby mice fell down to my feet. 

You could almost write a book on your experiences storing your car (its not funny but am still laughing ☺️)  

2 hours ago, cedros said:

Would of been nice if the keys were to start the engine every couple of weeks to keep the battery charged and things lubed. I laughed about the mice because I have two cars probably suffering that fate now.

1 hour ago, wanderer said:

call margaret at 1-480-797-1343, she has a secure parking area covered. its on miguel blanco in ajijic

Second this recommendation. The vehicle is stored behind tall walls at her residence in the village. I stored my car with her for 2-3 months a year or so ago. Very nice lady also!

45 minutes ago, daisy2013 said:

My friend always disconnects the battery before going to Canada for 6 months.  Upon arrival, reconnects the battery and never had a problem

Be careful if you do that.. On newer cars the computers will loose some of their programming, most times you can get it back by driving a certain distance.  In my case I had to take my BMW to the dealer to have the computers re-flashed. If possible use a battery maintainer… 

• Like 2

On 7/20/2021 at 1:43 PM, HoneyBee said:

You could almost write a book on your experiences storing your car (its not funny but am still laughing ☺️)  

That wasn't the end of it. The next time that I went north I put mouse poison in the garage.  When I returned there was a terrible stink in the car- a mouse must have died in there. I could never ger rid of the dead mouse smell. Thank goodness somone was very keen to buy the car.

• Haha 1