Chapala.com Webboard

Car registration, complex issue

ea93105

About 5 months ago I purchased a demo vehicle from a VW dealership in Mexico City. Because it was a demo it already had Mexico City plates and the dealership salesman told me that he could arrange to have the plates put in my name. Well 5 months later and due to Covid and other issues, his last message is that they would need to change the plates from Business to Personal, but I've given up on waiting, so I went to Spencer's office to arrange for help in getting Jalisco plates in my name. The person who does this service told me after a week of waiting that he is unable to even make an appointment because this month is completely booked and apparently they don't make appointments for the next month.

I have the title in my name and the current registration is paid for 2021, except that its still in the name of Volkswagen Leasing.

I want to drive the vehicle into the US soon, and I'm wondering if I have a copy of the title in my name and proof of purchase from the dealership, is there law being broken here or in the states by me driving it ?. I also have insurance in my name.

If anyone knows of a facilitator for getting cars registered in Jalisco please let me know, they may have "special connections"

You'll be fine. I've driven leased vehicles into the US before. The conversation at the border always goes one of two ways

"This your vehicle?"

"Yes"

No further questions about the car 

"This your vehicle?"

"Yes"

"Why does the registration say (lease company name)?

"It's a lease / It's a company car"

And then of you happen to get stopped by police at any point while in the US they're just looking to ensure the VIN doesn't come back stolen and also that you have valid US insurance on the vehicle in your name. My advice is say as little as possible, don't offer information or give a complicated story. It's your car, you pay on it/paid for it, it's a lease. Done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I Second Travelero ... I have driven Many Mexican plated vehicles into the USA. At Immigration I only remember being asked 2 times if the vehicle was mine. Once I answered yes .  No further questions. Once I said it belonged to the company I worked for... no further questions. 

If the police in the US stop you they will ask for your drivers license, vehicle registration, and proof of insurance. Leased vehicles are very common in the USA. Just make sure that you have the English copy of your USA liability coverage policy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just went through this.  I purchased an out of state truck and went to the States with it.  No issues as I am the owner.  Just don't lie to the CBP officer.

I also used Spencer's (Luis) office to assist with getting Jalisco plates.  It took over a month from getting the appointment to actually going to Tonala for inspections.

Just be patient, Luis will get it done CORRECTLY

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Check with your insurance company. I had a similar issue having problems getting a vehicle transferred into my name. I was told that if I were in an accident, even though the policy was in my name, the owner ON THE TITLE would be paid, not me.