Chapala.com Webboard

Visiting in March

My husband and I currently live in Tulsa, Oklahoma. We are looking at visiting the Chapala/Ajijic area in mid-March. Would really like to have a contact or somebody just to talk with, so that our trip isn't just us. We're planning on retiring as expats to Mexico in about 5 to 10 years. I'm 48 and he's 53. We just want to be somewhere where there's a slower pace and we can just relax in our golden years.

As I said we just like to have somebody to get to know, I guess you could say a pen pal, so that we know someone when we get there. So anyone that wants to reach out and say hi, hello my name is Joe.

2 hours ago, happyjillin said:

An opinion not shared by everyone. In any event, the OP wishes to communicate before they get here.

Hello Joe my name is pedro kertesz

There is nothing wrong with the LCS for beginners. It is still a good place. After you've been here a while, OP, you can judge for yourself whether the "hidden inference" of Pedro's comment is worth pursuing.

21 minutes ago, AndyPanda said:

There is nothing wrong with the LCS for beginners. It is still a good place. After you've been here a while, OP, you can judge for yourself whether the "hidden inference" of Pedro's comment is worth pursuing.

Coffee shop on Ajijic plaza is another place to meet folks.   Coffee shop on right going into Chapala is another place.  American Legion in Chapala is another place.  LCS is fine different but fine.  Pedro can be picky lol.

• Confused 1

Hola, my name is Jim and we spend half of our time Lakeside and half our time in Oklahoma.  We have a cattle ranch at Prague, Oklahoma and own a house Lakeside in Riberas Del Pilar.  I am married to a Mexican woman from Mexico City who is also a practicing psychologist here in Mexico.  We would be glad to answer any of your questions and could probably meet in Oklahoma prior to your visit here.  Location, location is very important here and it is helpful if you can speak a little Spanish.  A lot of the locals speak English due to the large number of ex-pats here but not all.  The further you get from Ajijic the more Spanish you need. I was told when you first get here many people go to the LCHS but after they are here for a while and make friends, they don't much use it.  The people are friendly and there is many, many restaurants which I enjoy.  Property prices have not risen like in the states but I am sure after the virus settles down they will. Adios for now 

I bet that in 10 years you will not recognize this area so come down and look but do not expect it to be the same in 10 years, you will have change and so will have this area.. As Ferret saaid get information quick because most people will not be here in 10 years.

Learn Spanish and you will have a whole lot more options in Mexico than Lakeside. The climate is nice but it is getting seriously over crowded and I hate to see how it will be in 10 years.  

The LCS is a good place to go to to meet people. If yo do not like the people you meet keep looking. There are lots of different people here and al types so I am sure you will hit it off with someone.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bmh said:

I bet that in 10 years you will not recognize this area so come down and look but do not expect it to be the same in 10 years, you will have change and so will have this area.. As Ferret saaid get information quick because most people will not be here in 10 years.

Learn Spanish and you will have a whole lot more options in Mexico than Lakeside. The climate is nice but it is getting seriously over crowded and I hate to see how it will be in 10 years.  

The LCS is a good place to go to to meet people. If yo do not like the people you meet keep looking. There are lots of different people here and al types so I am sure you will hit it off with someone.

Our plan is to start visiting different areas of Mexico to see what we like first over the next few years.

That is a very good plan.. I am sure you will enjoy the search- We bought a house the first week I came down Lakeside 20 years ago. After 3 years  I bought a house in San Cristobal de las Casas that could not be more different from here. I like both places and live and work in Chiapa 8 mnths of the year and the rest of the time I spend here and will have a tough time chosing between the two when the time comes.

• Like 1