Chapala.com Webboard

Lakeside Medical Group dropping HSA

From   https://www.lakemedicalgroup.com/contact-us

Our main office in Chapala-Ajijic is now co- located in Hospital San Antonio at Hidalgo #23 San Antonio de Tlayacapan Jalisco, Mexico 45920 (376) 766-0395. Toll Free from the USA and Canada 1-888-449-7799 and Toll Free from any phone in Mexico 01-800-681-9396
We can be reached 24-7 at 376-766-0395 and toll free in Mexico 01-800-681-9396.
Our toll free from US and Canada is 1-888-449-7799
+52 (376) 766-0395
 http://www.lakemedicalgroup.com

Isn't the Lakeside Medical offices right in the hospital? Near the Radiology department on the ground floor. They are very strange as to their choice of insurers. Some are obviously illegal, like Medicaid, then AXA, the number one in Mexico is not even accepted.

I have had two misadventures with their Radiologist departments, next time I will go to Guadalajara.

Lakeside Medical Group seems to promise to handle US insurance claims for expats who have Medicare Supplemental plans.  And they don't charge for this service.  How do they make their money???

https://www.lakemedicalgroup.com/lake-medical-services/lake-medical-insurance-accepted

Medicare Advantage Plans
Medicare Supplement Plan C
Medicare Supplement Plan D
Medicare Supplement Plan F
Medicare Supplement Plan G
Medicare Supplement Plan J
Medicare Supplement Plan L
Medicare Supplement Plan M
Medicare Supplement Plan N

16 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Lakeside Medical Group seems to promise to handle US insurance claims for expats who have Medicare Supplemental plans.  And they don't charge for this service.  How do they make their money???

https://www.lakemedicalgroup.com/lake-medical-services/lake-medical-insurance-accepted

Medicare Advantage Plans
Medicare Supplement Plan C
Medicare Supplement Plan D
Medicare Supplement Plan F
Medicare Supplement Plan G
Medicare Supplement Plan J
Medicare Supplement Plan L
Medicare Supplement Plan M
Medicare Supplement Plan N

They also list VA Healthcare. How can this be? I had researched this a while ago and at that time it was not offered outside the US.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

They also list VA Healthcare. How can this be? I had researched this a while ago and at that time it was not offered outside the US.

They cover vets with service connected disabilities. There is a VA medical center in Manila, Philippines.

15 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

They cover vets with service connected disabilities. There is a VA medical center in Manila, Philippines.

That would be TRICARE that they list there. However they also list: Veterans Administration Health (VA), that all veterans are eligible for. Maybe they forgot to put in the disclaimer... 

Tricare (styled TRICARE), formerly known as the Civilian Health and Medical Program of the Uniformed Services (CHAMPUS), is a health care program of the United States Department of Defense Military Health System.[1] Tricare provides civilian health benefits for U.S Armed Forces military personnel, military retirees, and their dependents, including some members of the Reserve Component. Tricare is the civilian care component of the Military Health System, although historically it also included health care delivered in military medical treatment facilities.

Those veterans with service connected disabilities are not served by Tricare.

T

11 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

Tricare (styled TRICARE), formerly known as the Civilian Health and Medical Program of the Uniformed Services (CHAMPUS), is a health care program of the United States Department of Defense Military Health System.[1] Tricare provides civilian health benefits for U.S Armed Forces military personnel, military retirees, and their dependents, including some members of the Reserve Component. Tricare is the civilian care component of the Military Health System, although historically it also included health care delivered in military medical treatment facilities.

This must have changed, since years ago when I was investigating my eligibility for an operation here was told that if I had a service connected disability (which I do not) I would be covered by TRICARE. In thier list of insurance coverage posted here Lakeside Medical Group list: Veterans Administration Health (VA). This is available for ALL vets. 

I was told that HSA will honor insurance like Medicare if there is also a supplemental plan that insures for emergencies while traveling outside the USA.  They then bill for services at a much higher rate for reimbursement from those companies.  Problems arose when "emergensies" turned out to not always be the truth.  Patients were caught taking advantage as were doctors and the hospital that made more money than if they were charging local prices for local services.

If it was all above board the insurers would end up paying less for expats' medical care if they would just insure for local care.  Big corp and politics on both sides of the border take priority over what is logical and compassionate.  Never forget that the US does not really want us spending our money in foreign countries.  Local insurers also don't want things to change because those corporations can charge what the market will bear.  For an aging population with money and few alternatives that seems to be to demand higher prices, provide less coverage, give more denials, and cancel policies for anybody with even a slightly higher risk factor. 

If insurance, as it now stands, was a good deal for the consumer they would not be selling it.

Alan

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, sm1mex said:

Now that LMG has disconnected with HSA don’t know who is handling the insurance HSA advertises to honor??

Where do the advertise this?  I checked their website and don't see any list or reference of insurance they take.  

https://www.hospitalsanantonio.com.mx/en/index.php

I have no dog in this fight but will be interested to see how this all plays out. I will continue to use the San Antonio Hospital. I think that the following thread from a few years ago will be of interest to many... LAKESIDE MEDICAL GROUP-RIBERAS - Ajijic/Chapala/Guadalajara - Chapala.com Webboard

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

I am 100% and also covered by Tricare for Life.  I do pay Medicare.  I have not tried to use either here as I am a short time visitor.

On 6/23/2021 at 4:31 PM, sm1mex said:

I don’t know. An email sent from Lakeside Medical Group said due to so many complaints about the care HSA is being dropped from there network. I have found the care to be great and professional. 

What ia HSA?