Chapala.com Webboard

New flying critters?

46 minutes ago, gringal said:

They look like ants with big wings.  Tons of them on the sidewalk of Pharmacia Guadalahara and some in my yard.  Don't remember seeing them before.  Anyone  know something about them?

Good grief,you've been here for ages.As an artist I would have expected you to be more observant-eh! This ain't anything new as an annual event.

• Sad 3

Nothing new about chicatana. They are flying ants that just had their last fling, they lose their wings and crawl back into their holes to die. They go for 600 pesos the kilo in Chiapas and Oaxaca and are delicious, throw them on the comal cook them , blow on them to get rid off the wings add salt  and lemon and chili if you like it  and eat them like you would popcorn.

They are way more expensive than the grasshopers because there are just a few days you can get them and that is once a year when the rains start. 

I spent the morning gathering them with my neighbor who is from Paxaca, the kids love them and love to  catch them. We got a very large bg of them and we will have fun eating them.

• Like 1

They were buzzing around the street light last night and this morning my car was like another color there were so many laying on it belly up. (asked my neighbor if they were edible..☺️). 

bmh just noted your point above about eating them, guess my neighbor was serious after all..

17 hours ago, bmh said:

Nothing new about chicatana. They are flying ants that just had their last fling, they lose their wings and crawl back into their holes to die. They go for 600 pesos the kilo in Chiapas and Oaxaca and are delicious, throw them on the comal cook them , blow on them to get rid off the wings add salt  and lemon and chili if you like it  and eat them like you would popcorn.

They are way more expensive than the grasshopers because there are just a few days you can get them and that is once a year when the rains start. 

I spent the morning gathering them with my neighbor who is from Paxaca, the kids love them and love to  catch them. We got a very large bg of them and we will have fun eating them.

Holy crap, I just nuked a fortune yesterday morning when there were thousands of them on the sidewalk in front of our house!

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, timjwilson said:

There appear to be two varieties; one is large ant size, the other the size of hornets. Anybody know what's up with that?

There are two sizes of chicatanas - the really big ones are young queens, the smaller winged ones are male drones.

• Like 1