Chapala.com Webboard

The Intersection saga...

The traffic was not already low. Somebody may have experienced a break in the flow, that's all. And the lights were not simply turned off. The lights at Soriana are off, but not the lights at the gas station in Chapala or at the main intersection. The lights are on in front of Fenix and they are on at the Farmacia Guadalajara. This is manual manipulation, not some failure of the system. (The barriers at Walmart are up again and appear only to be down when unauthorized persons move them. Traffic runs smoother when the little lady transito there is not there.)

Flashing yes, and as I pointed out in an earlier post, that has made it difficult for people like me coming up or down the streets, because unlike most other lights it seems to be ignored by many, who apparently were never taught what a flashing yellow light means.

And as you say, Panino's. I was saying two things: this is obviously manipulation, not failure, and the traffic in the area was terrible before this happened.

That intersection is still flowing sans lights nicely at 11:00 am today.... Friday.

Some westbound backup through La Floresta and Ajijic but bearable.  

Will the Tapatios "return" this weekend?  Stay tuned.... 

I see, and try to participate in, a lot of consideration among local drivers.  These Tapatios though are another story altogether.  Tailgating, speeding, running lights, won't let people out or to turn.  It will be very interesting to see what it is like starting this afternoon and through the weekend.

They were off on Saturday. Smoother sailing but the people coming in from the Libramiento sure don't believe in the uno por uno rule. I had four of them cut me off with a speed that I wasn't going to mess with... plus their vehicles were all a lot larger than mine. I gave the last one the finger. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Ferret said:

They were off on Saturday. Smoother sailing but the people coming in from the Libramiento sure don't believe in the uno por uno rule. I had four of them cut me off with a speed that I wasn't going to mess with... plus their vehicles were all a lot larger than mine. I gave the last one the finger. 

Coming in from the Libramiento is difficult, and uno por uno would be nice, however since there is far more traffic going east and west this rule doesn't seem to apply. I've waited 5 minutes to let someone let me turn left. It seems it's best to follow the car in front going left and clear the pack of 4 or 5 cars at once. Seems safer too! I dread making that turn, simply waiting to get hit.;)

These comments just prove to me that all that is needed there is one four way light with left turn arrows for all four directions with opposing sides all doing the same thing at the same time.  Just get rid of all of the extra trappings.  Allow right on red after stopping, when safe, at all times.  Pretty much what EVERYBODY said was needed and what most assumed would happen. 

Any officials out there with the guts and influence to make it happen?  It would be a very popular decision that might even have future election ramifications.

Alan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/16/2021 at 12:45 PM, BeanRoy said:

The only ones who don't see this obvious solution appear to be those in charge. Knowing that the changes were made by officials who did not even come here to overview the situation makes that more understandable. Not acceptable, but understandable.

I wonder if this situation falls under the natural customs of the country we have the benefits of living in.............. much like the noise maker's..so just suck it up and be thankful of the privilege of living in "paradise".

14 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

I wonder if this situation falls under the natural customs of the country we have the benefits of living in.............. much like the noise maker's..so just suck it up and be thankful of the privilege of living in "paradise".

No. Most of the time, it's just us grousing about minor inconveniences, but it's grousing because we can. This situation is inherently dangerous and it appears that squat won't be done until there's a serious accident...and I am afraid that it's a question of when, not if. I've written this before, but I nearly got wiped out because someone coming from Ajijic towards Riberas (sorry, I'm directionally challenged) didn't know about the double lights right by Wally's World and nearly plowed me down because he didn't stop until the very last second. All I heard was a loud "screeeeeeeeeech" and my heart stopped. I followed the lights and waited an extra second before going when it was my turn (green) and still nearly got hit. I don't even blame the person because those lights are really #$%^&* up. So, keep talking about it, folks...PLEASE!!!

I've seen several people east bound drive through that first light.  This has got to be the stupidest set up ever.  And remember our local Chapala transit guys have basically said the same thing.  Several Mexican friends have contacted Chapala and complained.