Chapala.com Webboard

This is the "Maroon" some have listened to

mexjerry

If this thread isn't wandering into U.S. politics, what is?

I'm waiting to hear someone bring up the "maroon" advice to drink disinfectant and/or the promise of "herd immunity" very early in the pandemic outbreak.  P.S.:  It wasn't Fauci.

🙃

• Like 3

Well no one encouraged anyone to drink disinfectant so you can stop repeating that fallacy.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/fact-check-no-trump-did-not-tell-people-to-inject-themselves-with-disinfectant-or-drink-bleach

Herd immunity is a well proven concept in previous pandemics.  It has not yet been proven or disproven for this one.  The numbers of sick and recovered and immunized have not reached the levels around 70 percent normally cited for this.  In addition, if it has artificial origins covid may not follow previous patterns.  At this point I am ignoring anyone who thinks they know whether there will be or will not be herd immunity with covid 19.  

Last time I checked Fauci is a bureaucrat who has been around for several decades and a number of administrations.  So exactly what are the politics here?  To which political party should we ascribe "Doctor" Fauci?

To me this is a graphic example of bureaucracy and bureaucrats run amuck, an example of shadow government that supersedes the will of the electorate and elected leaders regardless of political party.  This has become a pervasive problem in a number of countries, including Mexico.  No one elects these people but they seem to have more power than the people we do elect. 

You would think by now most of us would have developed a serious skepticism about bureaucrats and their pronouncements after a lifetime of experience but that doesn't seem to be the case around here.  Personally speaking, I give my attention to actual practicing physicians who have successfully treated covid, not some career government worker who has no real practical experience.

• Sad 1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Daily_Wire#:~:text=The Daily Wire is an,been criticised for promoting misinformation.

The Daily Wire is an American conservative news website and media company founded in 2015 by political commentator Ben Shapiro and director Jeremy Boreing. The site has been criticized for promoting misinformation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

Snopes.

LOL

Bet you didn't read the actual transcripts from the press conference where this came up, did you?  It is quoted verbatun in the source I posted.

So, I’m going to ask Bill a question that probably some of you are thinking of if you’re totally into that world, which I find to be very interesting. So, supposing when we hit the body with a tremendous, whether it’s ultraviolet or just very powerful light, and I think you said that hasn’t been checked, but you’re going to test it. And then I said supposing you brought the light inside the body, which you can do either through the skin or in some other way. And I think you said you’re going to test that too. Sounds interesting. And then I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in a minute, one minute. And is there a way we can do something like that by injection inside or almost a cleaning? Because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs, so it’d be interesting to check that, so that you’re going to have to use medical doctors with, but it sounds interesting to me. So, we’ll see, but the whole concept of the light, the way it kills it in one minute. That’s pretty powerful.

Just now, Mainecoons said:

Snopes.

LOL

Bet you didn't read the actual transcripts from the press conference where this came up, did you?  It is quoted in the source I posted.

Guess you didn't read the reliable and non-partisan Snopes link....as YES it also includes the ACTUAL transcript.  Sometimes people just hear what they want to hear.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Guess you didn't read the reliable and non-partisan Snopes link....as YES it also includes the ACTUAL transcript.  Sometimes people just hear what they want to hear.

Yeah, ya do.

A few moments later, ABC News reporter Jon Karl asked Bryan, “The president mentioned the idea of a cleaner, bleach and isopropyl alcohol emerging. There’s no scenario where that could be injected into a person, is there?”

“No, I’m here to talk about the finds that we had in the study,” Bryan responded. “We don’t do that within that lab at our labs.”

Trump then clarified his remarks: “It wouldn’t be through injections, you’re talking about almost a cleaning and sterilization of an area. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn’t work, but it certainly has a big affect if it’s on a stationary object.”

Trump later raised the possibility of whether UV rays could kill the coronavirus if it was on a person’s skin, in particular if it were on their hands.

“If they’re outside, right, and their hands are exposed to the sun, will that kill it as though it were a piece of metal or something else?” Trump asked.

It's WHEN he clarified his remarks that's the real kicker. Duh.

As to your funny little cartoon... it's called a learning experience. Adults admit to errors and correct course accordingly.

• Like 3

Yet another "Media Bias Fact Check" super right source whose founder is a openly white supremacist as source. 

Here's one that, in spite of the alarming headline, comes out with the facts:

https://reason.com/2020/04/24/its-not-fake-news-trump-did-actually-suggest-that-injecting-bleach-could-be-a-cure-for-covid-19/

Sounds like it was nothing more than a less-than-fully-thought-through comment Trump let slip, and one which his opponents gleefully jumped on.

As for Dr. Fauci, he is far more qualified by experience to address the issues regarding a pandemic than politicians with no medical background.

• Like 3

Just now, Ferret said:

It's WHEN he clarified his remarks that's the real kicker. Duh.

Also stated by the reference.  Dooh.  Try reading it.

BTW asking a question isn't the same as stating something.  Let me try again.

5 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

A few moments later, ABC News reporter Jon Karl asked Bryan, “The president mentioned the idea of a cleaner, bleach and isopropyl alcohol emerging. There’s no scenario where that could be injected into a person, is there?”

“No, I’m here to talk about the finds that we had in the study,” Bryan responded. “We don’t do that within that lab at our labs.”

Trump then clarified his remarks: “It wouldn’t be through injections, you’re talking about almost a cleaning and sterilization of an area. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn’t work, but it certainly has a big affect if it’s on a stationary object.”

3 minutes ago, gringal said:

Yet another "Media Bias Fact Check" super right source whose founder is a openly white supremacist as source. 

Here's one that, in spite of the alarming headline, comes out with the facts:

https://reason.com/2020/04/24/its-not-fake-news-trump-did-actually-suggest-that-injecting-bleach-could-be-a-cure-for-covid-19/

Sounds like it was nothing more than a less-than-fully-thought-through comment Trump let slip, and one which his opponents gleefully jumped on.

As for Dr. Fauci, he is far more qualified by experience to address the issues regarding a pandemic than politicians with no medical background.

Yes, from all his medical experience 

Same comment to you.  Asking a question or speculating on something is not making a statement.  Read your own source.

So, supposing we hit the body with a tremendous—whether it's ultraviolet or just very powerful light—and I think you said that that hasn't been checked, but you're going to test it. And then I said, supposing you brought the light inside the body, which you can do either through the skin or in some other way, and I think you said you're going to test that too. It sounds interesting…

And BTW you are the one who politicized this topic by quoting a politician from a misleading source out of context.  This topic is about Dr. Fauci, not a politician. 

@Mainecoons used to be a fan of Snopes.  

Mainecoons replied in Ajijic/Chapala/Guadalajara

...That was actually even corrected by one of your media on camera during an interview of Bloomberg and also confirmed as a lie by Snopes. But I didn't see your correction nor one from the person who posted it here to begin with. Here's a little refresher for the both of you. Just correcting t...

Mainecoons replied in Ajijic/Chapala/Guadalajara

...#1-debunked by Snopes and CBS news. #2-how many had declared it a pandemic at that time. Italy thought they just had some sort of pneumonia. #3-Corona virus task force organized on January 29. Major, early response. Taken out of context #4-It will disappear or sink out of sig...

Italy is sending the world a warning about covid-19

Mainecoons replied in Ajijic/Chapala/Guadalajara

...snopes.com/fact-check/trump-coronavirus-rally-remark/ Also false about the governors. He told them to try getting medical supplies and we (Feds) will be backing you. The U.S. governing system is a partnership between states and Federal government, it is logical to expect states to also help r...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I read my source, and my comment reflects my conclusion.

I think things were destined to go amok in this thread when it started with a headline calling someone a "maroon".  Ridicule of that level is innapropriate on a forum claiming to demand civility of its posters.  When is it going to start making that claim real? 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

That is correct.  Key phrase is "used to be" until they went full partisan political.  As you are doing in this thread.

Oh my. You mean since they went full partisan political by telling the truth? And they always do.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Ferret said:

Oh my. You mean since they went full partisan political by telling the truth? And they always do.

No, they went full political partisan by shifting from a discussion about an unelected bureaucrat with no real medical experience treating live people to dredging up a widely quoted out of context statement by a partisan politician and then compounded it by playing the ever so tiresome race card. 

It will be interesting what you all have to say if the current administration shows said bureaucrat to the door.  Will you be complaining about it?  Somehow I doubt it.

Closed thanks to Gringal and Bisbee.

• Sad 2