Chapala.com Webboard

My TotalPlay optical fiber Internet installed in Ajijic! FASTER than Telmex and ILOX. 40, 100, 200 or 500 megabit/sec

6 hours ago, AndyPanda said:

You guys are good. I don't see any Whatsapp link at the bottom of totalplay.com.mx. I DO see an AYUDA EN LINEA floating link though, that can be used to sign up. And an 800-330-1111 number to call. And what's wrong with the two numbers I provided?

Nothing; just fine for me. I thought I should respond to Mr. Douglas, so he realizes that (for me) the Whatsapp number is not displayed.

On 7/30/2021 at 7:57 AM, timjwilson said:

That does not give the number and I don't use my computer for whatsapp. I got the number now though.

It’s a one time action.  After clicking and initiating first message, you can resume the conversation in the regular WhatsApp only on the phone.

You can do it in the Safari browser of your iPhone, or the Chrome browser of your Samsung Galaxy or Android phone. 

These browsers will automatically launch WhatsApp everytime you tap a WhatsApp link (icon) on Mexican websites!

On 7/30/2021 at 9:00 AM, AndyPanda said:

You guys are good. I don't see any Whatsapp link at the bottom of totalplay.com.mx

Your method works fine.
But there's two methods of WhatsApp to TotalPlay:
1. Direct WhatsApp to installation TotalPlay technician (one person), has phone number
2. Central WhatsApp to centralized TotalPlay support (central office), skips phone number

If you don't have both, then make sure you've got the central one too.

For centralized WhatsApp to centralized TotalPlay support (required for doing things like instant speed changes and price changes) -- It’s a tiny WhatsApp icon at bottom of all Totalplay.com.mx pages.

After a one-time click, you can continue using ANY WhatsApp apps, whether phone or computer.

Here is a screenshot:

EA87AAAA-A562-4DFD-9005-7865DD89DFC4.thumb.jpeg.85f61c05e8f32e5cf7058dfa2c44ee28.jpeg

However, I can save some forum members some steps: I right-clicked on the icon at totalplay, and selected "Copy Link", and have pasted the automatic WhatsApp link here: 

image.png.d5507f3fa55dabaa7321ef4c33186ca8.png
Automatically Start WhatsApp Chat With TotalPlay
https://api.whatsapp.com/send?l=pt_br&phone=5215515798000&text=Hola%2C+Asistente+Virtual+Totalplay&lang=es

You need WhatsApp installed on the same device you're viewing chapala.com with, in order for the above icon/link to work.

I use this central TotalPlay robot that I use for instant speed changes (switching between the common $579 plan and the luxury ultrafast $2299 plan). 

Or even renting the luxury faster Internet plan for just 2 days or 7 days (TotalPlay lets you do temporary speed upgrades!)

No WhatsApp phone number needed for this particular WhatsApp robot that I use for post-installation stuff like the speed/price changes.

(I tested these instructions and you don't need a computer; you can do this from Safari browser on iPhone)

On 7/30/2021 at 3:42 PM, timjwilson said:

Nothing; just fine for me. I thought I should respond to Mr. Douglas, so he realizes that (for me) the Whatsapp number is not displayed.

NOTICE — It's automatic. No WhatsApp number is needed to add TotalPlay to your WhatsApp contacts automatically; The WhatsApp app supports automatic conversation starts launched from the iPhone web browser and the Android web browser. Though you can manually add a number if you wish via the newly-found WhatsApp number (which may or may not be universal).

Do this once you've got an account number (e.g. by applying for an installation online first, or by WhatsApping a tech support individual, such as that number)

First Time Only:
Initiate first WhatsApp conversation with the tech support robot

1. Go to https://www.totalplay.com.mx/ in the web browser of any device (phone, PC, Mac) that also has WhatsApp installed.
2. Scroll down to the very bottom and tap/click the WhatsApp icon at the very bottom (next to social media icons).  
It is A VERY TINY LOGO ICON
image.png.6c364adb2d8bf04487966f00b024769d.png
Or simply click this link: 
https://api.whatsapp.com/send?l=pt_br&phone=5215515798000&text=Hola%2C+Asistente+Virtual+Totalplay&lang=es
3. TotalPlay is automatically (permanently) added to WhatsApp
4. You will start aconversation by hitting Enter on a "Hola" message, creating a chat history in your WhatsApp that you can go back to anytime in the future.
5. Your first conversation will have a prompt for a 10 digit account number (spanish "10 digitos")
6. Type a reply with just ten numbers and no words.
7. You gain access to the tech support robot.
This is just one-time steps; you don't need to repeat the above steps once you've done this already.

Every Time:
Talk to the WhatsApp tech support robot to get a human chatting to you

Say "Hola" to the TotalPlay chat in your WhatsApp to wake up the tech support robot which will prompt you with some menus.  Can be by PC or by phone

Go through menu item 3,4,1,1,2 to get a human.

3. "Ayuda técnica 👨‍" = get technical support
4. "Otro tipo de ayuda 👨‍" = other problem
1. "Si" = are you home / ¿domicilo?
1. "Si" = do you have a failure / ¿falla?
2. "No" = Problem solved by resetting modem? / ¿Problema resuelto reiniciando el módem?

image.thumb.png.f9755034793f374b5126b4791e42409d.png

Now you're talking to a human instead of a robot!

Occasionally, it skips some steps (doing only step 1 and 5).

14 hours ago, GDouglas said:

NOTICE — It's automatic. No WhatsApp number is needed to add TotalPlay to your WhatsApp contacts automatically; The WhatsApp app supports automatic conversation starts launched from the iPhone web browser and the Android web browser. Though you can manually add a number if you wish via the newly-found WhatsApp number (which may or may not be universal).

Do this once you've got an account number (e.g. by applying for an installation online first, or by WhatsApping a tech support individual, such as that number)

First Time Only:
Initiate first WhatsApp conversation with the tech support robot

1. Go to https://www.totalplay.com.mx/ in the web browser of any device (phone, PC, Mac) that also has WhatsApp installed.
2. Scroll down to the very bottom and tap/click the WhatsApp icon at the very bottom (next to social media icons).  
It is A VERY TINY LOGO ICON
image.png.6c364adb2d8bf04487966f00b024769d.png
Or simply click this link: 
3. TotalPlay is automatically (permanently) added to WhatsApp
4. You will start aconversation by hitting Enter on a "Hola" message, creating a chat history in your WhatsApp that you can go back to anytime in the future.
5. Your first conversation will have a prompt for a 10 digit account number (spanish "10 digitos")
6. Type a reply with just ten numbers and no words.
7. You gain access to the tech support robot.
This is just one-time steps; you don't need to repeat the above steps once you've done this already.

Every Time:
Talk to the WhatsApp tech support robot to get a human chatting to you

Say "Hola" to the TotalPlay chat in your WhatsApp to wake up the tech support robot which will prompt you with some menus.  Can be by PC or by phone

Go through menu item 3,4,1,1,2 to get a human.

3. "Ayuda técnica 👨‍" = get technical support
4. "Otro tipo de ayuda 👨‍" = other problem
1. "Si" = are you home / ¿domicilo?
1. "Si" = do you have a failure / ¿falla?
2. "No" = Problem solved by resetting modem? / ¿Problema resuelto reiniciando el módem?

image.thumb.png.f9755034793f374b5126b4791e42409d.png

Now you're talking to a human instead of a robot!

Occasionally, it skips some steps (doing only step 1 and 5).

Not my tempo. I've been using whatsapp for years. I do not use it that way for security reasons. I simply asked for the number. I got it thanks to AP.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I am back in Mexico and TotalPlay is still running.

Remember that I had temporarily downgraded 500/500 Internet down to 40/4 Internet (for other guests) before leaving the country back to Canada?  Now I am back in the country and I am re-upgrading TotalPlay speed on the fly.

I have re-upgraded from 40/4 to 100/100 again via a WhatsApp chat with TotalPlay.

It can still be done live (real-time) via WhatsApp via the WhatsApp chat icon at the bottom of TotalPlay's web pages.

It appears I can do a faster 3,1,5 chat sequence (for quicker speed upgrades) instead of the earlier 3,4,1,1,2 chat sequence (Internet problems).

image.thumb.png.68806b9765a99a6bb826cfd371483628.png

Before/After the chat conversation:

image.thumb.png.dfb51c8645aeb871f1bbb99468239432.png

12408974349.png

I did have to make sure to use a backup connection (my iPhone) to finish the chat, since it took 15 minutes for them to get the Internet back up. 

The modem couldn't do it automatically but the TotalPlay WhatsApp rep manually reprogrammed the modem (remotely) to the new fiber optic speed cap on the spot.

P.S. TotalPlay now has gigabit fiber option for Ajijic / Chapala.  For now I am 100/100 since that is mostly all I need (for now) but it's nice to know I can upgrade/downgrade speed anytime.

• Thanks 1

On 8/24/2021 at 2:52 PM, Chop said:

Is TotalPlay running their own fiber optic lines or leasing from iLox or another party who has the infrastructure already built?

They reel out their own dedicated fiber, their own backbone & straight into your home, using TotalPlay-logo installers that arrive at your place much faster.  And it's much faster than iLox. They are a much bigger ISP than iLox.

• Thanks 1

I currently use IZZY and have a separate router connected to the IZZY modem that allows me to use a DNS proxy to view US streaming channels (Sling, HBO, Prime, etc)  Would I be able to use the same set up with Total Play's box?

I had TotalPlay installed about 3 weeks ago.  Great process.  

Contacted the number on the back of the flyer on a Thursday, WhatsApp'd with that person a bit to answer my questions.  Friday, main office called and set up the installation appoint. Saturday, it was installed.  Monday, gave iLox back their modem and ended service with them.

The service has been solid, it is always on, no cut-outs.  I can know have a voice call through WhatsApp, FB, Hangouts, etc, and hear things nice and clear and the signal doesn't drop 5-10 times per hour.

Thank you to those who have posted their experience and process :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Orygun Duck said:

I currently use IZZY and have a separate router connected to the IZZY modem that allows me to use a DNS proxy to view US streaming channels (Sling, HBO, Prime, etc)  Would I be able to use the same set up with Total Play's box?

For a better WiFi signal, I use a separate big-antenna WiFi router connected to my TotalPlay router (which can have WiFi turned on/off).

I don't use VPN's often but VPN's work fine with TotalPlay.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2021 at 7:06 PM, GDouglas said:

For a better WiFi signal, I use a separate big-antenna WiFi router connected to my TotalPlay router (which can have WiFi turned on/off).

Can you recommend a big-antenna router?  WiFi signal is quite weak going up to the second floor in my house.  I'd rather not run a line along the wall and drill through the ceiling to put a separate router up in the second floor if I can avoid it.  Thanks!

19 hours ago, Chop said:

Can you recommend a big-antenna router?  WiFi signal is quite weak going up to the second floor in my house.  I'd rather not run a line along the wall and drill through the ceiling to put a separate router up in the second floor if I can avoid it.  Thanks!

Why not get TotalPlay's free "mesh" repeaters or extenders?  Anything called "mesh" is better.  They are included with the 100Mbps-and-faster plans.  

The Mesh WiFi Extender Option
"Mesh" WiFi repeaters and extenders (like Eero, Plume, Google WiFi Kit, etc) are vastly superior to ordinary WiFi repeaters. The good news is that TotalPlay has their own house brand of mesh WiFi extenders, that they provide for free with their faster speeds (100Mbps or faster).

Good powerful mesh extenders are just extra wireless boxes you plug into different locations of your home, and you don't even need to add wiring!  (Only a power socket is needed)

I chose the big-antenna router to give me flexibility to upgrade/downgrade the speed anytime, and my place is not big enough to mandatorily require mesh repeaters.  The slowest 40 Mbps TotalPlay speed does not include a WiFi extender..

Don't use a non-"mesh" repeater with TotalPlay, not worth it.  "Mesh" WiFi extenders are much more powerful and faster.  And TotalPlay provides these mesh WiFi extenders for free with the faster speeds.  They're just extra boxes you plug into other outlets elsewhere in your house.  "Mesh" WiFi extenders have much better range and speed than ordinary repeaters.

If you already have 100Mbps or faster, and you do not have an extender, chat with TotalPlay and get them to give you one!

The Expensive Big Antenna WiFi Router Option
If you prefer to just stick to 1 router, find a good high-rated 4-antenna-or-more router that have MIMO features.  Expect to pay at least 150 dollars and upwards of 600 dollars of this type.  The luxurious ones are those 8-antenna "gaming routers" which cost a lot.  Don't buy anything less than WiFi 6 (also known as "ax" or "802.11ax") which is better than WiFi 5 ("ac" or "802.11ac").  The newest is WiFi 6E but that may not be available yet in Mexico.   

Also, if you're going 1 router in a big house -- then park the router away from anything made out of metal (metal furniture acts as annoying shields that block WiFi, or even the metal box of a desktop computer), and somewhere closer to the middle of room to make it broadcast omnidirectionally better.  Sometimes moving it 6 feet to the side or vertically makes a big difference in getting a signal to your weakest room. 

Router placement in a huge house, is often like TV rabbit ears of the 1980s, sometimes moving router 6 foot suddenly turns 1-bar to 3-bar in that remote room.  Even top-of-wooden-bookshelf or a cantilevered shelf 2 feet away from the wall.   So experiment with router location!   (do it temporarily before building a permanent shelf).   Or ceiling mount your router!

Remember to walk away from the router for final tests (since your human body may act as a reflector of signal, much like how rabbit ears TV picture in 1980s varied when you walked close to an old analog TV set receiving a super-weak signal).   Although it's digital, minor router position changes inside a cluttered room often massively affects the number of wifi bars you're getting far away from the router.

• Like 1

A year or so ago I installed a 'group' of Google mesh 'extenders' in a large house with thick walls that was having a hard time getting the wifi signal 50' feet away, much less upstairs.  In this particular case it was a 'master' and 3 slaves. Worked really well. Now the whole house has good wifi signals even with iLox.

16 hours ago, GDouglas said:

Why not get TotalPlay's free "mesh" repeaters or extenders?  Anything called "mesh" is better.  They are included with the 100Mbps-and-faster plans.  

Thanks for your thoughts on this @GDouglas, @RickS and @oregontochapala

I didn't know that TotalPlay would give out a mesh wifi repeater..  That is pretty great of them.  I have the 100mb plan...so will chat with them on that.  I found a viga bay (between two I beams) directly above the TotalPlay router that is getting nearly top speed.  If I can put the mesh unit nearly directly above - and it can broadcast similarly to the router, I think the signal upstairs would be quite excellent. 

Thanks folks!

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/1/2021 at 7:06 PM, GDouglas said:

I sent you a PM regarding VPNs on Total Play.

On 12/4/2021 at 12:06 PM, Chop said:

I just messaged TPs tech support and have someone coming out on Tuesday with the Mesh unit.  It is 50 pesos/month at the 100mbs service level.

Thanks again @GDouglas - looking forward to some great WiFi in my upstairs :)

Just a follow up here.  The mesh unit is working well.  We do lose quite a bit of speed up on the second floor unit which has the mesh receiver, but it is still good and extends to the whole second floor.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have a new address -- Chapala instead of Ajijic.

I executed an address change, and the installer came unannounced earlier than scheduled so we had to shoo him away.  Address changes seem to be very fast with TotalPlay -- the installer showed up practically the next day, and before I was home.  He then came back two days later.   

The supervisor was a bit grumbling (lost commission for the earlier day?) but the installer was wonderful and accommodated simple fiber optic routing request, and the install job was much better than at the old address.   So we had a better installer this time around (it's luck of the draw).

Both Totalplay and Telmex now has gigabit FTTH in Ajijic and Chapala.  

If you want gigabit internet: I notice Telmex is a relative bargain at 1499 pesos a month including that expensive 4K/4-stream Netflix subscription included in the price (that's worth $20 -- meaning you're getting gigabit fiber for relatively cheap).   

But Telmex doesn't serve fiber to my addresses (old and new).  TotalPlay gigabit is much more expensive (2200 pesos a month and does not include Netflix).  

For now, I'm sticking symmetric to 100/100 at TotalPlay -- since upload speed is very important.   I'll probably later switch to 500/500 during months where I'm doing large video uploads or downloading huge Steam game downloads (80 gigabyte game downloads take mere minutes on TotalPlay 500 Mbps), but for now 100/100 is sufficient for my needs this month.

I still can easily do near-instant Internet speed changes via a simple online WhatsApp chat.  That's a convenience I like, for whenever I am around (faster speed) or out of the country for a few months (slower speed).

I also have a Telmex DSL backup too (inherited with the place).

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Hi all, this is my first post. I was wondering if totalplay fiber is available in far west Ajijic? Has anyone who has seen a coverage map be willing to post it?