Chapala.com Webboard

My TotalPlay optical fiber Internet installed in Ajijic! FASTER than Telmex and ILOX. 40, 100, 200 or 500 megabit/sec

17 minutes ago, Ferret said:

Bisbee Gal, fascinating. Just another example of iLox inefficiency and inconsistency. 

We've had good experiences and usually fast responses from Ilox.  Have you contacted them about your lack of billing?

Yes, I have. Response was to go in and pay. I enquired after I'd had the service for approximately a year and didn't know why it wasn't working. I was one of the people who signed up in the hope that they would even come to the area. I waited two years after sign up after they had promised that those "early birds" would be hooked up first IF they decided to do business here. They have always had my e-mail address and two other phone numbers. So, I went in and not only paid a year in advance (again) but I upgraded to the next level speed... and my speed has been cut in half. I try and give the benefit of the doubt but, imho, they are just plain stupid and totally lacking in proper customer service and communication. I'm done.

14 hours ago, BeanRoy said:

you cannot pay cash again, since they have no office here. I haven't had it for a month, so I haven't received a bill yet. Once I do, I will figure out how/where to pay.

Actually, you can!  Just indirectly.  If you prefer to pay in cash -- you can pay the TotalPlay bill in cash via OXXO.  (Or at Walmart).

I decided I preferred to pay via my Canadian card via PayPal (which TotalPlay supports).

If you have not yet, register for your "My TotalPlay" at https://mitotalplay.com.mx and you literally have a real half hundred ways to pay!

image.thumb.png.a9406dfa47149bbb043468647d7b683d.png

• 4 weeks later...

GDouglas - could you confirm the contract status, especially if you received a promotion (promotions usually require a minimum service contract to offset the promotion cost)?

I have been in contact with Jose Luis Desales, and he's telling me now (mid July) that I am required to have a contract, or at least have one to cover (most of) the cost for the installation.  I.e. installation is $350 with 18 mos contract, or $1,350 for having service 8 mos or less (i.e. I'm guessing month-to-month, or no contract, would apply to this fee level).

Thanks!

He's trying to upsell you. How disingenuous. The actual offer is this: no installation fee if you sign up for 18 months; $329 (or close to it) if you start monthly. Unless they suddenly changed their plan, which I kinda doubt. NOTE that the people at the Walmart door get bored and quit every week or so. There is also a number on the pamphlet they provide so you don't have to deal with a commissioned salesperson.

1 hour ago, Kiko said:

For those who have had both ILOX and Totalplay, will buffering issues be about the same or is one better than the other?

I have both and I prefer Totalplay.   I base this opinion on the fact that I have streaming music running 18 hours a day.  When I run it on Totalplay my buffering is about 1/10 what it is when I use ILOX.  Be aware buffering is not just caused by your internet provider but with many IPTV providers who have slow servers and such.  Both services work fine with Clearchoice (my program provider), Netflix, Google and the other big guys.  I have 300 service down for ILOX and 100 down for Totalplay.  In the last two years I have had at least four different IPTV program providers and they all buffered to some extent.   Clearchoice which is on a big backbone has much much less buffering so internet provider and program provider are both important to avoid buffering.

As far as paying I paid for Totalchoice at BBVA and paid ahead for six month.  ILOX I pay a year ahead to avoid dealing with them.  My personal choice is I would rather deal with Totalchoice than ILOX.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have an Obitalk device for my Google Voice. For the very short time a while back that I had the Ilox nonservice, I received hourly e-mails from Obitalk telling me that my service was abruptly disconnected Which Ilox vehemently denied!). Since then, I have had it hooked up to Telmex. Very seldom an interruption. Recently, I have hooked it to Totalplay. Thus far, NO interruptions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 7/13/2021 at 9:51 AM, Bastion said:

GDouglas - could you confirm the contract status, especially if you received a promotion (promotions usually require a minimum service contract to offset the promotion cost)?

I have no contract or installation fee (maybe because I got it early).  For the promotion, I changed to 500/500 which replaced my double-speed promo (40 Mbps -> 80 Mbps) before I could activate it.  Oh well -- the promo speeds were not as important to me as getting the fastest.  

Switch to 500 Mbps while I am in Mexico, switch to 40 Mbps when back in Canada, with just a single WhatsApp conversation.  Currently, I'm going to be back in Canada shortly now that I am Pfizer-vaccinated (courtesy two side trip to USA), so I'll be testing the speed-downgrade shortly.

TotalPlay can just press a button remotely to change your Internet speed!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Totalplay is certainly making inroads not only here but their presence is very noticeable in Puerto Vallarta. Perhaps it is a coincidence but ILOX seems to be more stable in the recent past and has quietly relabeled their 300mb package to 350mb. While the highest speed seen in the beginning was 280mb, the speeds now are above the advertised level. It's probably not a coincidence but once again you gotta love competition.

image.png.b3b3316dfa9b39bc60bcb7541561e015.png

• Thanks 1

On 7/15/2021 at 7:12 PM, GDouglas said:

I have no contract or installation fee (maybe because I got it early).  For the promotion, I changed to 500/500 which replaced my double-speed promo (40 Mbps -> 80 Mbps) before I could activate it.  Oh well -- the promo speeds were not as important to me as getting the fastest.  

Switch to 500 Mbps while I am in Mexico, switch to 40 Mbps when back in Canada, with just a single WhatsApp conversation.  Currently, I'm going to be back in Canada shortly now that I am Pfizer-vaccinated (courtesy two side trip to USA), so I'll be testing the speed-downgrade shortly.

TotalPlay can just press a button remotely to change your Internet speed!

I'm also in Canada currently with Be!!, internet only, at over $100 monthly. 3rd party providers are allowed on existing fibre installations. Not sure that would be the case, so I am curious how you will receive your internet from Total Play in Canada. Tks in advance

Well, I must say. I have had a different experience with Totalplay. I tried to sign up yesterday and have since got caught in a loop with their call back service to confirm my order. Telcel says they are blocking the calls, so I cannot answer them. Totalplay has responded to this by having a bot continuously call me back. 119 calls so far in under 24 hours, plus the 119 messages from Telcel saying I missed the call.  Oy vay!

I have called Totalplay but got caught in an answering machine loop. After the 10th try I finally reached a human who said they could not stop it. I had to get it cancelled through the salesperson (at Soriana) who I signed up with! Called her and She has since cancelled my request but the calls are still coming. What a nightmare!!!!! I am now off to Telcel to see if they can fix this. Any suggestions anyone?

On 7/24/2021 at 9:21 AM, mkshawn said:

I'm also in Canada currently with Be!!, internet only, at over $100 monthly. 3rd party providers are allowed on existing fibre installations. Not sure that would be the case, so I am curious how you will receive your internet from Total Play in Canada. Tks in advance

I don’t bring TotalPlay to Canada.

I am renting the house all year even though I only live there half of the time.  I’m keeping TotalPlay activated.  

Just simply:

(A) switching to the luxury $2299 peso plan (500/500) whenever I live in Mexico
(B) switching to the basic $579 peso plan (40/4) when away from the Mexico place.

This helps my Mexico guests (friends, etc) to keep WiFi Internet access whenever we’re not in Mexico to use our TotalPlay connection.

It takes only 15 minutes to switch speeds via a WhatsApp chat with TotalPlay.  On their end, they just press a button to change my fiber speed and price darn nearly instantly.  No technician needs to visit.  I have already successfully downshifted my speed to the cheap plan, and already back in Canada at the moment, with others using WiFi merrily at still-decent 40 Mbps speeds while I am away.

Try that with any other Mexico ISP!  
You can’t switch speeds that easily & instantly as with TotalPlay!

• Like 1

On 7/27/2021 at 12:11 PM, Semalu said:

Well, I must say. I have had a different experience with Totalplay. I tried to sign up yesterday and have since got caught in a loop with their call back service to confirm my order. Telcel says they are blocking the calls, so I cannot answer them. Totalplay has responded to this by having a bot continuously call me back. 119 calls so far in under 24 hours, plus the 119 messages from Telcel saying I missed the call.  Oy vay!

I have called Totalplay but got caught in an answering machine loop. After the 10th try I finally reached a human who said they could not stop it. I had to get it cancelled through the salesperson (at Soriana) who I signed up with! Called her and She has since cancelled my request but the calls are still coming. What a nightmare!!!!! I am now off to Telcel to see if they can fix this. Any suggestions anyone?

This may not be TotalPlay’s fault.

It is possible that Telmex (and Telcel, a subsidiary of Telmex) is playing dirty sheninigians making it difficult for Telmex lines to call Totalplay.  Telmex might be scared of losing business to TotalPlay, and may have conveniently “let” this Telcel calling defect happen.  Telmex may theoretically be doing this to buy time to try to keep you while upgrading your speeds to fiber, they seem to be upgrading more parts of Ajijic to fiber.

For ordering TotalPlay, the best thing to do is to order the install at the online website and discuss the installation through WhatsApp.

There’s two main  ways to avoid the phone call thing:

- Order online and/or by WhatsApp
- Order by texting the # on your TotalPlay advertisement flyer 

Once you’ve ordered online (or by texting), get the account number you’ve been assigned for your pending install, then register it through TotalPlay WhatsApp through these instructions and you can get progress reports / reschedule install appts / change speeds / etc thereafter.

The same account number can also be registered via mitotalplay.com.mx too (the online payment portal) for a good buffet of online payment choices including foreigner-friendly PayPal.

I never made a telephone call, ever, to TotalPlay (I executed installation via WhatsApp)

P.S. I am keeping my Bell GIgabit Fibe in Canada. I can do HD and 4K video chatting between Canada and Mexico now (newest iPhones have 4K video, and a 3rd party app can turn iPhones into a webcam for WIndows laptops. Or you can AirPlay/Chromecast your video calling to a TV). 

FTTH on both ends in both countries is a gamechanger. Yes, it means I‘m paying for FTTH on both ends but it’s quite handy for my work too.

Testing video chats two FTTH connections (one in Canada, one in Mexico)

- TotalPlay 500/500 in Mexico
- Bell Gigabit Fibe 940/750 in Canada

I can confirm this produces cinema studio quality video chat, if you’ve got over 100 megabits per second in both directions in both countries.

Television studio quality video chatting works great between Bell Canada Gigabit Fibe and Mexico TotalPlay!  There’s enough bandwidth for true 4K 60fps video chatting (if you choose the right apps). I just did a test, because my spouse is still in Mexico while I’m back in Canada, and I can transfer hundreds of megabits per second house-to-house in both directions.  

It’s pretty much TV studio quality bandwidth between my homes!  It’s a hoot to see my face better-than-Netflix-quality in FaceTime chat (From a 2020s iPhone (in Mexico from my TotalPlay) to another 2020s iPhone (in Canada on any Bell Gigabit FTTH), creates perfectly smooth 30fps chat with cinema-quality FaceTime!!! !!!  Assuming your iDevice is 2020s or newer with the latest iOS.

If you have 2020-and-newer smartphones on both ends in both countries running off 11ac WiFi, it’s quite easy to get studio-quality video chatting — e.g. FaceTime-to-FaceTime will do true 1080p video now.  And some 4K video chatting apps has come out too.

Cinema quality video chatting doesn’t work (yet) from Facebook Video.  But FaceTime from a 2020s iPhone in both countries on their FTTH’s produce cinema quality FaceTime!   (Recent phones, latest iOS)

You can even AirPlay the FaceTime onto a 2nd TV for a big screen FaceTime, and the quality is still better than Netflix quality.  No pixels, no smearing, no blocks, no compression look, just perfect looking frame rate with perfectly sharp video.

(FTTH on both sides, latest phones, choosing the right video chat apps, 11ac WiFI)