Chapala.com Webboard

Car towing by the police

Within the last week or two, two friends of mine have both had interactions with local police , One was a minor fender bender the other one a minor traffic  .offense. On both occasions the police threatened to tow the cars away needless to say both paid cash And the police left. My question is ... when and for what reasons are the police allowed to tow your car . Not sure that there are specific reasons other than cash of course however....

5 hours ago, Ian Greenwood said:

Within the last week or two, two friends of mine have both had interactions with local police , One was a minor fender bender the other one a minor traffic  .offense. On both occasions the police threatened to tow the cars away needless to say both paid cash And the police left. My question is ... when and for what reasons are the police allowed to tow your car . Not sure that there are specific reasons other than cash of course however....

I f you know a lawyer I would phone them as soon as the police threatened to tow. They can sort it out. No use you arguing with the cop-let a pro handle it. They tried to get a bribe out of me once but I isisteded on taking the ticket and he gave up.

Spencer has actually posted a translation of the traffic laws on here somewhere, and probably his Website. There are very few instances where transitos can take a car. 9 times out of 10 they are scamming you. The new chief here said he was putting an end to mordida, but I don't see it ever ending as long as they keep scoring.

- without plates, or fake ones, or hidden ones

- parkiing in prohibited place, or blocking traffic

- contaminating the air and no emission sticker

- made up to look like an official vehicle

- taxi without being a taxi

- drunk driving

- documents not in order after traffic accident.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, happyjillin said:

They can't tow it away for the little things that you described. Main things that allow towing are the car was used for something criminal or an accident where serious property damage, injury or death resulted. Your friends just paid mordida por nada.

Who you you rather listen to.. this guy or Spencer ?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Crooked cops. And as long as people allow themselves to be intimidated, and whip out their wallet, it will continue. 

Knowing the laws of the country where you reside is really helpful. I have a friend who flies to Mexico from Canada, and rents a car for the month she stays. She got nabbed for speeding on her way from the airport (not a BS charge-she drives really fast) and the transito told her he had to take her license and write her a ticket. Because she was unaware that that is exactly how things are done here, and she would get her license back, no problem, when she went to pay the ticket, she paid him off 2000 pesos! 

I've only paid mordida once- I did run the red light, only because there was a big ### truck in front of me blocking the light, and there was another car right on my tail, so I just followed the truck, unwittingly, through the light. I was on my way to the city, had a dentist appt. and a list of things to do, so it was just easier to give him 200 pesos and be on my way. But normally, the few times I've been guilty of a traffic infraction, I ask for the ticket.

31 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

Crooked cops. And as long as people allow themselves to be intimidated, and whip out their wallet, it will continue. 

so it was just easier to give him 200 pesos and be on my way. But normally, the few times I've been guilty of a traffic infraction, I ask for the ticket.

So you, by admission, help it to continue as well..... 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

So you, by admission, help it to continue as well..... 

Yes, I admitted I did it once. Not proud of it, it was a convenience factor because I was in a rush, rather than not being aware of the law. But the other times I've asked for a ticket.

1 minute ago, mudgirl said:

Yes, I admitted I did it once. Not proud of it, it was a convenience factor because I was in a rush, rather than not being aware of the law. But the other times I've asked for a ticket.

Unfortunately, I've paid for numerous traffic tickets NOB. 

Only because it just wasn't worth the time or effort to fight it with the (in some cases, video), evidence and facts I had. 

I'm truly learning more and more to just cut my losses on certain issues.

I still believe we should take a stand on important issues, but as Winston Churchill once said:

"You will never reach your destination if you stop and throw stones at every dog that barks.

Winston S. Churchill"

I believe we've all seen examples of that on this web board unfortunately.

22 minutes ago, Whipstock said:

Unfortunately, I've paid for numerous traffic tickets NOB. 

Only because it just wasn't worth the time or effort to fight it with the (in some cases, video), evidence and facts I had. 

I'm truly learning more and more to just cut my losses on certain issues.

I still believe we should take a stand on important issues, but as Winston Churchill once said:

"You will never reach your destination if you stop and throw stones at every dog that barks.

Winston S. Churchill"

I believe we've all seen examples of that on this web board unfortunately.

A bit of knowledge is always worth knowing. If you fight with these guys in a small town or ever in a city like I did in Mexicali I lived to regret it after being stopped 14 times in about 3 1/2 years. They knew my face and my newer Maxima. I only paid 2 small morditas. Once at 11:30 Sunday morning I feared I might end up being  beaten but went to the police station behind these two mean cops to pay. They parked across the road from the police station and asked me to pay them again. I said no so they hammered the gas and sent gravel hitting my car.

I wondered what the deal was with this type of offering to "help" us (police) out. Seems because a lot of people like the deal they are offered especially decades ago for several reason you haven't heard of.

First many do not like anything to go to the government. Second cops live on very low wages. Third screwing over the authorities is fine because they screw you over often. Forth the cop is being a good neighbor by giving you the chance to pay much less than the ticket and you don't have to spend any valuable time dealing with the ticket (long lines decades ago to pay it) and you can be on your way in 2 minutes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Whenever this issue comes up the same old people repeat their same old experiences again and again, WHAT is the law and who can e force it.

The "local experts" fail to appreciate that for recently  arrived folks threats  by "any" law enforcement person can be very intimidating and scary 

1 hour ago, AlanMexicali said:

Forth the cop is being a good neighbor by giving you the chance to pay much less than the ticket and you don't have to spend any valuable time dealing with the ticket (long lines decades ago to pay it) and you can be on your way in 2 minutes. 

Any time I've been approached for a little bite, it's always been a lot more than the ticket.

Although fines went up this year in Jalisco the ticket is almost always less than bribing a policeman (which is a crime). 50% discount on fine if paid right away. Be polite & smile. Say you are sorry for your offense. Just ask for the ticket. More often than not they will let you off. 

• Like 1

Traffic tickets by and large NOB are just a revenue racket.  Here they are a personal revenue opportunity for the transito, a different kind of racket IMO.

But a racket nevertheless. 

Since switching to Mexican plated cars some years ago I've not had a problem with this.  Before, several times including one time where an armed cop rifled through our bags and stole a camera.  Those were Tonala cops.

• Thanks 1

Here is a little tip that might help.  If the cop asks for a mordida then ask for the ticket.  He will not want his name on a ticket knowing you can the tell his boss that he first asked for a bribe.  They will probably just let it go if they can't make any money.  There is a reason that motorcycles, for instance, which don't have plates, the riders don't have helmets, the driver is lane splitting or passing on the right, and probably speeding through a red light doesn't get detained.  The cops know he probably doesn't have any money so it isn't worth their time.  If the cop doesn't ask for a bribe then just take the ticket and pay it promptly for your 50% discount.  Never offer a bribe and never pay a bribe.  Even if you are traveling out of town.  Offer to follow them into the station.  Especially if they have already asked for a bribe.  Either way it will be a little adventure that will make a good story later.  Just like most places in the world (not all) traffic control by cops in Mexico is not really about public safety...it's revenue.

Alan

• Like 5

the VERY FIRST THING you should do is ask to see the officers ID which SHOULD be displayed on his/er chest. This should insure all following events are proper. Also note date time and vehicle plate

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, barrbower said:

Here is a little tip that might help.  If the cop asks for a mordida then ask for the ticket.  He will not want his name on a ticket knowing you can the tell his boss that he first asked for a bribe.  They will probably just let it go if they can't make any money.  There is a reason that motorcycles, for instance, which don't have plates, the riders don't have helmets, the driver is lane splitting or passing on the right, and probably speeding through a red light doesn't get detained.  The cops know he probably doesn't have any money so it isn't worth their time.  If the cop doesn't ask for a bribe then just take the ticket and pay it promptly for your 50% discount.  Never offer a bribe and never pay a bribe.  Even if you are traveling out of town.  Offer to follow them into the station.  Especially if they have already asked for a bribe.  Either way it will be a little adventure that will make a good story later.  Just like most places in the world (not all) traffic control by cops in Mexico is not really about public safety...it's revenue.

Alan

Maybe you were not around here when they were loading golf carts and motor cycles on tow trucks by the dozen. There is no perfect answer to this practice. Just look at one of the fastest-growing business around here,new and bigger storage pounds , and check out the number of  new and bright tow trucks in any of the local parades.  

If you have made a ilegal infraction and all your other paperwork is in order, yes ask for the ticket. However if there is some discrepancies with your paperwork and the officer starts to put his cell phone  to his ear you better decide, is it better to negotiate or face the drama of getting your car from the pound, probably with many parts missing.

One way or another the officer is going to get something,  a commission from the towing companies or you. And yes having a MX plated car will lower you visibility 

The last municipal traffic laws for the Municipality of Chapala that I have were updated by Moy in 2019. The copy and paste, below, refers to the wo quetions asked in this thread: what documents are drivers required to present and which towable offenses?

You need to have: up-to-date plates, original (or receipt) for current tarjeta de circulación, sticker (now a card) for the plates, insurance coverage in amount by law. 

Foreign-plated cars can circulate so long a they comply with immigration/importation laws and comply with laws (including current plates and requirements) from their home entity.

Within the municipality, a vehicle can be towed for: no current license plates, plates covering other plates, failing to have/display transit requirements in Article 23, wrongly parked or abandoned, public vehicle circulating for private use.

image.png.f81c9145c29c21a4f987ac0830319d21.png

image.png.a9fd38a33f711cd59eb3817d0f47d27c.png

image.png

• Thanks 1

I do remember the short window of time when they were stopping motos and golf carts.  It lasted about a month and then back to normal.  I daily see both of these in open violation again.  I was recently stopped by a Guardia Nacional after making an illegal U turn on the highway near Cajititlan.  He was very polite, did not ask for a bribe, I knew I was wrong (and it was a dangerous turn) and he gave me a ticket.  But because I spoke to him in Spanish and didn't try to argue with him he wrote the ticket for no seat belt which saved me several hundred pesos.  I paid the ticket at Bancomer after going online to print a copy of the incident.  This new level of cop is supposedly required to pass some honesty and anti-corruption tests before being given a job.  The guy I dealt with was quite professional.  State Transitos not so much...

Alan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, HarryB said:

the VERY FIRST THING you should do is ask to see the officers ID which SHOULD be displayed on his/er chest. This should insure all following events are proper. Also note date time and vehicle plate

Take a photo of the officer.