Chapala.com Webboard

Survey ranks Mexico second best expat destination

Mainecoons

22 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Interesting but I sure wouldn't want to be living next to Communist China these days.  

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/once-again-survey-ranks-mexico-as-second-best-destination-for-expats/

Thanks for posting that. 

Like a lot of expats here; I have lived and traveled to many places. Hard to beat the warmth of the Mexican people. 

I had been hoping my Español would have come along a little quicker.

Poco a poco.

There are some amazing locals and Gringos from many countries here.

Edited by Whipstock
Spelling, thanks Mostlylost
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Whipstock said:

Thanks for posting that. 

Like a lot of expats here; I have lived and traveled to many places. Hard to beat the warmth of the Mexican people. 

I had been hoping my Español would have come along a little quicker.

Poco y poco.

There are some amazing locals and Gringos from many countries here.

A little Español help.....  poco y poco means  little and little        poco a poco means little by little or slowly

poco a poco voy aprendiendo       little by little I am learning

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, HarryB said:

sure come on down and join the parking lot, sewage, lack of water, unfinished buildings and mountain encroachment!

Things could be worse and they are in many other places these days.  

In my initial post I assumed that most know China has been behaving very aggressively towards Taiwan these days.  Many pundits see an actual invasion as quite possible.  I don't see anyone, however, suggesting that Mexico will be invaded by anything other than retired gringos looking for sunshine and cheap eats.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Xena said:

Chinese communists? Come on down from where? 

But would the "same kind" that have invaded Vancouver be OK

Seriously for Mexicans and "others" who rely on a income  from rentals the future looks bleak. I have Mexican friends  in Guadalajara who own "locals" and have had to significantly drop their price in order to retain their renters, times are tough 

5 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Things could be worse and they are in many other places these days.  

In my initial post I assumed that most know China has been behaving very aggressively towards Taiwan these days.  Many pundits see an actual invasion as quite possible.  I don't see anyone, however, suggesting that Mexico will be invaded by anything other than retired gringos looking for sunshine and cheap eats.

Either someone farted, or I smell a political post.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

But would the "same kind" that have invaded Vancouver be OK

Seriously for Mexicans and "others" who rely on a income  from rentals the future looks bleak. I have Mexican friends  in Guadalajara who own "locals" and have had to significantly drop their price in order to retain their renters, times are tough 

So, you are inviting Chinese communists from Vancouver to come on down? Why?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Xena said:

So, you are inviting Chinese communists from Vancouver to come on down? Why?

Xena in case you have not noticed  I am  not the gatekeepers for who comes and who goes,perhaps you should be directing your comment to the  Mexican government 

I look at Lakeside as a big melting pot,  the good, the bad, and the  ugly similar to  any other community 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

Xena in case you have not noticed  I am  not the gatekeepers for who comes and who goes,perhaps you should be directing your comment to the  Mexican government 

I look at Lakeside as a big melting pot,  the good, the bad, and the  ugly similar to  any other community 

I am asking you about your own posts which make no sense to me.

8 hours ago, SunnyDaze said:

Either someone farted, or I smell a political post.

Yep, you farted.  :D 

There is nothing political about the fact Mainland China has designs on Taiwan.  It has been all over the news for quite some time.  Hard to see how anyone could miss it.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/china-wants-control-over-taiwan-thats-a-problem-for-us-tech-companies/ar-BB1bjfnK

Have you missed the recent news of the incursions of the Chinese military into Taiwanese space?  This is the advantage to reading the foreign news.  They actually tend to tell you what is going on.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/4/14/is-there-really-a-risk-that-china-will-go-to-war-with-taiwan

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1436464/China-US-tensions-Taiwan-invasion-military-drills-Beijing-war-South-China-Sea-latest-vn

My point was very simple and relates directly to the takeover of Hong Kong.  Taiwan may be next and for that reason I would not see it as a good place for expats.  That is all.  Simply because of this reality I wouldn't put it at the top of any list of best places for expats.

I might add this is the first one of these "best places for expats" things I have seen that even had Taiwan on it.  That definitely caught my eye.

• Like 2

What Mainecoons said is fact, not being political.
To be fair, the news was about Mexico, Taiwan was just also in there.
I was surprised that Taiwan is #1. Well, check the source! Do you believe it?! : )
Leave out the invasion, I still would choose Lakeside over it.
I was from Taiwan originally.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bob Liu said:

What Mainecoons said is fact, not being political.
To be fair, the news was about Mexico, Taiwan was just also in there.
I was surprised that Taiwan is #1. Well, check the source! Do you believe it?! : )
Leave out the invasion, I still would choose Lakeside over it.
I was from Taiwan originally.

Do you believe the mainland will attack Taiwan ? 

• Sad 1

Bobby I didn't start this thread to discuss whether the CCP will actually attack Taiwan.  I started it because (1) I found it curious it was #1 on this survey and (2) given the recent elevated threats and actual territorial incursions by a huge country a stone throw away it is my opinion this should be regarded as inimical to expats.

They will or they won't but personally speaking I wouldn't be comfortable living with the very real threat.  Although it isn't even a remote possibility I would rule out living in Israel for the same reason.

Military conflicts and invasions can be pretty tough on civilians.

11 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Bobby I didn't start this thread to discuss whether the CCP will actually attack Taiwan.  I started it because (1) I found it curious it was #1 on this survey and (2) given the recent elevated threats and actual territorial incursions by a huge country a stone throw away it is my opinion this should be regarded as inimical to expats.

They will or they won't but personally speaking I wouldn't be comfortable living with the very real threat.  Although it isn't even a remote possibility I would rule out living in Israel for the same reason.

Military conflicts and invasions can be pretty tough on civilians.

Sorry to ask a question to Bob Liu--just little old me--HA,  sorry Mainecoons  " SUPER" I  forgot that's all about you---HA

On 5/19/2021 at 10:44 AM, Mostlylost said:

A little Español help.....  poco y poco means  little and little        poco a poco means little by little or slowly

poco a poco voy aprendiendo       little by little I am learning

yea-- I agree  ahh, the "warmth"-a drive by today wanting a piece of my "plumeria" tree-- he said he wanted a piece of mine because his mama did not have the red color; only the yellow--I said of course, take a big branch--ahhh- the warmth of the 'GRINGO'--

"always giving"--i'm OK !--"didn't pay me no never mind"-- i'm not complaining ; just glad to help---HA