Chapala.com Webboard

What is this beetle/insect?

We use to call them June Bugs since this is when they appeared.  I use to set buckets around a light pole and feed them to my chickens.  It was fun to watch the chickens fight over them.  I would throw one in the pen and a chicken would grab it and run with the other chickens chasing it.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, InChapala1 said:

Thanks for the info. Do they hibernate for part of the year? Is that why they appear in May-June? They seem to fly around for a while at night and next day are motionless or dead.

It depends as there are almost 200 species of them in Mexico. Which one is this one? They are often called dung beetles.

2 hours ago, InChapala1 said:

Do they hibernate for part of the year? Is that why they appear in May-June?

No, they mostly live less than a year. Some types are burrowers and may hide out underground, but their life cycle is eggs, larva, adult. The ones flying around this year aren't the ones that were here last year- those have died. Tons of info if you google it.

I call them stupid bugs, because if they fall on their backs they can't right themselves, they just flail around until they die. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

People have commented recently on finding large fat white larve; the larve eat the roots of grass or other plants;  My dogs like to catch and eat the adult beetles; they bring the larve in the house and toss them around.
May/June Beetles – Wisconsin Horticulture

• Like 2

They are June bugs.  The larvae are called grubs and they live on the roots of your lawn grass.  Yes, they will cause the yellow spots you might see.  If you have a bad infestation you can actually grab the yellowed grass in your fist and it will lift right off.  You likely will see the larvae still in the area.  Granular Diazinon works best and it should be applied in April or early May to kill the larvae and prevent the hatching of the June bugs.  Once they emerge they start to breed and lay more eggs for next year.  The adult beetle will be drawn to water (swimming pools and fountains) and to lights at night.  They are harmless to humans.  They can completely destroy a lawn if left untreated.  If you are seeing the adult beetles then you probably need to treat your lawn asap.

Alan

• Like 1