Chapala.com Webboard

Direct discharge of raw sewage into the lake at San Juan Cosala

A few years ago before I bought a still undeveloped lot in SJC, I did everything I could online to check out the municipal sewer system serving the site (which is very steep, at least).  I came across this (free but gated) 'case study' describing the installation of an UV processing plant in SJC.  See: https://www.wateronline.com/doc/wastewater-disinfection-san-juan-cosala-mexico-case-study-0001, and also https://www.trojantechnologies.com/en/applications/municipal/wastewater?origin=dropdown&c1=applications&c2=municipal&c3=wastewater&clickedon=wastewater

The manufacturer at least claims to serve serious towns in California, and in my neighborhood in the redwoods most everybody uses 'ozination' to treat their large well water tanks, and knowing this I was skeptical/pessimistic that SJC could/would maintain their system, which if it's similar to ozination requires specialized light emitters, electrical power and regular flushing.  Expensive.

Couple of places in West Ajijic a few months ago made the local papers with similar photos of sewage pouring into the lake.  During the rainy season the main 'collector' box at the Ajijic malecón went underwater resulting in discharge.  They spent a long time trying to move it and they did, but likely not far enough for future rainy season high waters.  

Look at all the new home developments that have been built and are currently under construction in just the past few years.  But local elected officials will not consider a curb on growth.  More and more SIMAPA water wells go dry every year; more sewer discharge....it's a recipe for disaster without any long-term planning.  

• Thanks 1

Press release issued today at 3:27pm  

THE TREATMENT PLANT IN SAN JUAN COSALÁ IS OPERATING PERFECTLY AND DOES NOT PRESENT FAILURES IN ITS OPERATION

....    This can be verified in the records of the operation and maintenance log, and in the results of the quality of the treated water, which complies with current environmental regulations, this being NOM-001-SEMARNAT-1996 for discharge to body type "C".

It should be noted that these discharges are due to an extraordinary silting and clogging that occurred in the collector on La Paz street, which is part of the municipal drainage and collector network. Faced with this incident, the municipality informed the CEA and asked for their support.........

https://www.jalisco.gob.mx/es/prensa/noticias/125384

A local newspaper prints a story about direct discharge based on what local residents said has been going on for over a month, while also saying there have been leaks at the plant off/on for over a year.  Local fishermen reported that there are dead fish in the vicinity. 

The newspaper asked the responsible government agency to comment before the story went to print.  It declined.  

After the story hits the paper, the government puts out a short statement saying, no problema.  Doesn't give any dates as to how long it's been going on; doesn't address the dead fish in the area. 

Who you gonna believe?

• Thanks 1

Many homes in the Lake Chapala area are not connected to any sewer system and this includes many "high end" neighborhoods.  So people put in a septic tank but most do not have the space to install a leach field pipe so the tanks sometimes just overflow if not pumped out.  To reduce the volume of waste water entering their septic tanks, they many times just run their gray water from sinks, washing machines, etc. out a drainpipe that lets this water flow downhill onto the street. 

The problems with waste water treatment facilities are the expense to build, dependable operation and maintenance, and "nimby" (not in my backyard.)  In addition, large areas lakeside which already have septic tanks would have to pay for the pipe to carry the sewage as well as the connections to their individual homes which sometimes have drains to the back where any new pipe would probably be in the front street.  And that is if there was even a treatment plant downhill from their homes.  If not, then pumps would have to be added into the cost.

So like many things in Mexico (not just lakeside) it becomes an issue to kick down the path to the next administration to deal with...or not.  I don't think any complaint is going to change much.

Alan

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

A local newspaper prints a story about direct discharge based on what local residents said has been going on for over a month, while also saying there have been leaks at the plant off/on for over a year.  Local fishermen reported that there are dead fish in the vicinity. 

The newspaper asked the responsible government agency to comment before the story went to print.  It declined.  

After the story hits the paper, the government puts out a short statement saying, no problema.  Doesn't give any dates as to how long it's been going on; doesn't address the dead fish in the area. 

Who you gonna believe?

Not the government agency

That is logically true virgo lady. My kids have a piece of property in Northern Ontario and it is being used entirely off grid. They bought a composting toilet and it works like a charm. Uses no water and provides compost for the garden. That's a win/win for the planet.

• Like 1