Chapala.com Webboard

U.S. Meat Additives

CHILLIN

This has become a big issue in  the U.S.A. where need to squeeze every penny from meat production as possible.

https://civileats.com/2021/04/27/is-the-u-s-doing-enough-to-address-the-meat-industrys-role-in-antibiotic-resistance/?utm_source=Verified+CE+list&utm_campaign=0b8e163909-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_7_3_2018_8_13_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_aae5e4a315-0b8e163909-294334205

I like to think that this is not such a problem in Mexico because of the high cost of these supplements, where in the US they are added to food and water whether the animal needs it or not.

Don't know about feed lot's for sure but I believe they have changed their practices.  Here in Oklahoma as of about 3 years ago, I can no longer buy medicated feed and if I have a sick animal, I must get veterinary help for animal or get a prescription from a vet in order to buy an antibiotic vaccine.  This means almost no animals going to feed lots will  have antibiotics in them.   Use to when calves were weaned many people fed them a medicated feed to keep them from getting colds, etc.

10 hours ago, rafterbr said:

Don't know about feed lot's for sure but I believe they have changed their practices.  Here in Oklahoma as of about 3 years ago, I can no longer buy medicated feed and if I have a sick animal, I must get veterinary help for animal or get a prescription from a vet in order to buy an antibiotic vaccine.  This means almost no animals going to feed lots will  have antibiotics in them.   Use to when calves were weaned many people fed them a medicated feed to keep them from getting colds, etc.

This is a good thing. And why I buy my meat at the Tuesday Market.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2021 at 1:03 PM, CHILLIN said:

l Iike to think that this is not such a problem in Mexico because of the high cost of these supplements, where in the US they are added to food and water whether the animal needs it or not

You can like to think that, but it isn't necessarily true. A friend of mine told me that was the case in Mexico, but I met a professor of animal science from the University of Mexico in Mexico City who told me that was BS. At least for commercial producers. You may get some untainted meat in a local butcher shop from some locally slaughtered animals, but that chicken and meat you buy at the grocery store is raised in giant chicken factories, just like NOB, with all the attendent hormones and antibiotics.

55 minutes ago, gringal said:

...which is a good reason to buy chicken at the Monday or Tuesday farmers markets.

When you write "farmers market" I assume you mean the market at Sunrise restaurant on Mon. or the market in west Ajijic on Tues.  Is my assuming correct?

If you live in the rural areas you get to know your farmers, and where food comes from. A herd which is overcrowded, dirty and listless gets noticed. Just look at the hooves. The biggest abusers are the feedlots, which there are a very few in Mexico. The local beef slaughtered here is typically 4 years, should be sold to the U.S. feedlots, but maybe the price was not high enough. They are smaller cuts than you would be used to. They have not been fattened by any grains ( corn is actually toxic to beef livers), typically just grass and weeds. So the meat is healthy but bland (no fat) and tough (no fat). The only way I have found to bring it back is drybagging using UMAI polymer bags. But again, don't underestimate the flavor and richness of a well made beef stock/ bone broth.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

I suspect that many of those "farmers" harvest their crops at the abastos. Purdue and others do deliver there.  Surprised?

The vendors at the Tuesday Market are inspected regularly by the Board of Directors and several vendors are been asked to leave due to unacceptable practices. Surprised?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Due to the additive problem.  There is now a big market in the USA for meat from cattle which have  been grass fed only.  Angus beef which has been grazed on good grass is tender and has a great flavor.  Packaging in US indicates if it is grass fed beef. 

On 5/2/2021 at 12:19 AM, MtnMama said:

The vendors at the Tuesday Market are inspected regularly by the Board of Directors and several vendors are been asked to leave due to unacceptable practices. Surprised?

Of course all the members of the BOD are professionally or qualified through experience to do so.🤣