Chapala.com Webboard

Fire Stick for TV reception?

Lexy

2 hours ago, TelsZ4 said:

WiFi will never giver better results than an Ethernet cable. If the modem is sitting within inches of the TV you might get the same performance..

It's possible.  If you have a 150Mbps plan from ILOX, let's say, and you're getting Wi-fi speeds of around 120-130Mbps, it will be faster because one of the ports on the two port ILOX modem is only a 10/100 Ethernet port.  I found this out the hard way.

But yes, you're correct.  All things being equal a wired connection will always be faster and more stable than a Wi-Fi Connection.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Out1 said:

I have tested a Firestick 4K on both WiFi and ethernet cable fed from a router (not the Ilox modem); WiFi performs a little better on a speedtest. Now that Ilox seems to be more stable in the last few months I am using Wifi from a router without any buffering.

What kind of adapter and where did you purchase it from to try an Ethernet cable on your firesstick ?

2 minutes ago, All Day said:

It's possible.  If you have a 150Mbps plan from ILOX, let's say, and you're getting Wi-fi speeds of around 120-130Mbps, it will be faster because one of the ports on the two port ILOX modem is only a 10/100 Ethernet port.  I found this out the hard way.

Yes having high speed internet is a different ball game..  

IMO it has nothing to do with poor design but rather pricing.... add an ethernet port and up goes the price. These things are "commodities" and price point is important. Give the customer options... buy without for less if one doesn't want or can't use the ethernet port.

• Like 1

Normally I would agree, but they don't offer the ethernet option, so it is lack of concern, to me. Ethernet connectors cost zilch in bulk at manufacturing. Roku offers with and without at different price points. Chromestick offers only both.

If you read the rounds online, you'll see untold numbers of complaints from Firestick users about this missing feature. Not listening to your customer base is a typical move by a company as large and monolithic as Amazon.

If anyone is interested, you can order the adapter through amazon.com.mx and just pay a few $$ more than the US site...$350mxn. Before I posted this, I ordered it, just in case others do, too...lol.

(Late edit) You can order this through the US site, but it's currently out-of-stock and you can't have it sent to a Mexican address. If you use a forwarding service, you're going to pay through the nose. For a few bucks more, the Amazon MX site is well worth it...and fast!