Chapala.com Webboard

chalk marks next to front door

I remember this being discussed on this board years ago, but don't remember any details.  Someone put a plus sign grid with digits in the corners in white chalk on our front wall. I remember everything from a census, water company survey to criminal activity being mentioned. Any body have any idea what it is?

My employee saw a worker with vest labeled Brigadista  de Jalisco. Google advises that these are stateworkers who come around checking water supplies for mosquitos. I remember them from several years ago.if you answeryour door they   check for standing water and have a baggie of some sort that they put in your tinacos, aljibe, fountain, etc.

I believe it is the health department going around checking for potential dengue problems.  A lady just came by my place and offered to come in and inspect my property as a free service and I told her no thank you that we were fine and she wrote something on chalk on my door to tell others from her dept that she had made contact with us.

1 hour ago, dichosalocura said:

I believe it is the health department going around checking for potential dengue problems.  A lady just came by my place and offered to come in and inspect my property as a free service and I told her no thank you that we were fine and she wrote something on chalk on my door to tell others from her dept that she had made contact with us.

Could you post a picture?

There is a gang that also uses chalk markings.  I can determine which is which once I see it.

11 minutes ago, TelsZ4 said:

Rubbish.!!!!!!

In the early 2000's it was ALL TOO COMMON here......  so don't be so quick to judge.  May not be the case this time, but some of usl remember checking our outside walls every morning and washing the markings off, praying we'd do it before the word spread among the bad boys. And yes, before you ask.... people WERE robbed as a result of these "codes".

• Like 1

I was thinking about this last night and suddenly had a "memory flash"..... and "saw" the article in the Guad Reporter with drawings of the different gang markings and what they meant.   Clearest memory is "woman living here alone".  I THINK others may have been "don't bother, already done", "good stuff here", "big mean dog" etc.  Anyone else remember this?

• Like 2

I'm mexican, all my life I have seen that kind of signs with chalks... They are written by salespeople, pollsters, or maintenance, to mark where they stopped, a summary of what they have done, or a code of their team ... There is no problem to delete them

One of the Brigadistas stopped by our place in upper Ajijic yesterday. He was very professional and had ample documentation to justify his request to enter the property and check for potential dengue mosquito areas.  He put a small bag of a white substance in our tinaco and checked the fountains and other potential areas of standing water.  I offered him a Coke and propina.  He took the Coke and rejected the propina.  VIVA MEXICO!

Salud,

Val  :)

• Like 2