Chapala.com Webboard

O-Ring lubrication

Alpha1

Some petroleum products will degrade some rubber products so be careful.  The dielectric silicone is not water soluble and the surfaces where it is applied on the threads are not exposed to water.  The o ring is quite compressed and very little surface is exposed to the water.  After a year of use the o ring still has the same light feel of silicone grease as when I applied it.  You probably have move degraded polyvinyl chloride getting into your water than grease.  I think in the USA PVC is no longer legal for use in drinking water supplies for that reason.  Only used for drain, vent, waste, and irrigation.  They now use CPVC, PEX, or copper but  PVC still used widely in Mexico.

Alan

• Like 1

The o-ring is a rubber gasket/seal which only needs grease,vaseline,etc. to hold it in place before using the proper ft/lbs applied to the 2 parts fasteners. Once the o-ring is in place and the 2 parts are tightened, hardly any of it is exposed to whatever flows through the 2 joined pieces.

o-ring foto.jpg

54 minutes ago, Alpha1 said:

Not a good idea...

I don't care if it eats up the o rings.  I put new ones in every couple of years.  I don't want them to get stuck. Also they suggest using Teflon.  I will pass on that. Note this is about pool filters not drinking water filters.

2 hours ago, barrbower said:

Some petroleum products will degrade some rubber products so be careful.  The dielectric silicone is not water soluble and the surfaces where it is applied on the threads are not exposed to water.  The o ring is quite compressed and very little surface is exposed to the water.  After a year of use the o ring still has the same light feel of silicone grease as when I applied it.  You probably have move degraded polyvinyl chloride getting into your water than grease.  I think in the USA PVC is no longer legal for use in drinking water supplies for that reason.  Only used for drain, vent, waste, and irrigation.  They now use CPVC, PEX, or copper but  PVC still used widely in Mexico.

Alan

Very good point so let the pipes rinse out before you fill the water jug.  You only need to worry about the pipes from the block carbon/charcoal filter to your tap as it will remove most of the PVC chemicals. Ignore this if you have a reverse osmosis filter at your kitchen tap as that will take care of the PVC chemicals even better than charcoal/carbon filters.

1 hour ago, AndyPanda said:

Are we asking for the right thing? Any auto store without lube or mechanic's grease ain't right.

Yup! They all have it. And an o-ring only requires something to hold it in place until proper tightening of the 2 pieces it's between and yes I speak from many years of experience.

pedro kertesz