Chapala.com Webboard

1 day flight in/out for Vaccination

Due to lack of driving buddies, I have decided to take a flight in/ out (same day/direct flight from Guad to US. Very low cost. All vacs available including J&J. Logistics completely worked out. Vaccination site is near the airport, as is an amazon locker hub to pick up a few goodies.

Travel buddy not required for this, but others are welcome to join me.   If interested PM me... Maybe I can help someone out as I have worked out all the details.  DONE.

• Like 1

• MexLuis changed the title to Did you go NOB Texas for Vac? and...

Most of my nephews & nieces (in their 20's & 30's) flew to San Antonio and got Pfiser then flew back the next day. Waited 3 weeks and did the same.  They rented a a van, stayed in a hotel each time.

I was in Texas last month. Don't know your definition of safe....We visited the beach, ate out daily, stayed in hotels and got our second Moderna. All the stores, hotels, and restaurants had protocols in place.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

Most of my nephews & nieces (in their 20's & 30's) flew to San Antonio and got Pfiser then flew back the next day. Waited 3 weeks and did the same.  They rented a a van, stayed in a hotel each time.

I was in Texas last month. Don't know your definition of safe....We visited the beach, ate out daily, stayed in hotels and got our second Moderna. All the stores, hotels, and restaurants had protocols in place.

Did you or your nephews & nieces setup appointments? If so, how? Is proof of Texas residency  needed? Thanks.

• MexLuis changed the title to Go NOB Texas for Vac?

In the Dallas Texas area, my wife and I took the 2 shots at different CVS locations. One CVS didn’t even check my ID, twice. Another one checked my wife’s. No consistency. Apparently they’re still working on it as low priority.

They’re not picky about who gets it first, just trying to get as many people vaccinated as possible. One less vaccinated is one potential virus victim/spreader. 

My tips on CVS:
* Click on “Schedule an appointment now” even if the “Status” of your City/Town is “Fully Booked”. I don’t think they have time to update their website.
* Make an online appointment AFTER midnight. I think that’s when daily new availability is loaded onto their computer system. : ) That’s how we got ours.
* Try to enter nearby zip code, if there’s no availability in your first zip.
* Calculate your timing. Familiar yourself with how CVS scheduling works. We only had appointments available, 3 or 4 days from now. No earlier, no later.

Note: This was our case, about one month ago. Now might be a little different.

Feel free to ask me questions and good luck.

FireShot Capture 157 - Immunization intake form - www.cvs.com.png

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

why did you or they do this; "  Waited 3 weeks and did the same.  They rented a a van, stayed in a hotel each time." It is not clear to me.

There are clusters of appointments with no matter whom you choose. Plentiful in both the Walgreens and Moderna vacs.   

It seems the ticket to getting vac'd and then knowing when to return for a second dose.  I have been messaged by a surprising

number of people whom drove in and accomplished this.  Thank you for that, as It will make my trip so much easier, due to additional

info you've taken the time to share!  

24 minutes ago, cedros said:

why did you or they do this; "  Waited 3 weeks and did the same.  They rented a a van, stayed in a hotel each time." It is not clear to me.

They received Pfizer. The 2nd shot is 3 weeks after the first. They did not want to wait in Texas for 3 weeks in an hotel. Thus 2 trips with one overnight stay each. They rented a van because it was a group and that was cheaper than individual transportation. 

NOB they book both appts Dose 1 and 2, when you make your initial appt. After selecting the first dose, a second page appears, asking you to select the second dose.  On your first dose you also receive the official form of documentation is the small white vaccination record card, issued by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which you receive after your first shot.  That records the lot numbers as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rainbird said:

Did they get the time for the second appointment when they got the first shot?

Yes in one case mass vaccination in San Antonio.  In the other location near Houston the second appt date & time was emailed a week after the first. In Walmart second apt was scheduled at time of first vac. Every location has their own way of doing it.

These are my answers to MexLuis, with permission to post here.

“Did you drive in or fly in?”
I was and am still in the Dallas Texas area.

“Did you have a wait/quarantine time that delayed you from going to CVS?”
No. We just went to the CVS, we chose, on the 2 assigned days from the online registration.
1st shot: about 3 or 4 days from the day registered online.
2nd shot: 3 weeks from the 1st day.

“I see on the air travel websites they are inflicting quarantines... Is that even correct?”
Sorry that I can’t help on this one. : )

I know you’ll be travelling. That’s why I suggested:
* Get familiar with CVS online registration. (You’ll get the idea by doing it, better than reading my explanation of the process. : )
* Calculate your timing.

As I see it, getting appointments from CVS online is not difficult.
How do you MAKE it on those TWO assigned days, 
is something that needs careful thinking/researching.

I know it’s not easy for you to understand the whole process.
I do my best. Anything I missed only you know. : )
So feel free to ask me questions.

We are back to flying NOB more often..  Airline prices vary day to day.  They have algorithms in place that change fares as seats dwindle, time passes, etc. for every flight.  Same as it's always been.   On the plus side, most US airlines have eliminated change fees even for international trips.  If you book high, you can watch for a drop and re-book; they won't refund, but give you a travel credit.  Check with the carrier for their specific policy.  

Mostlylost

Did members of your family seem to have a better experience in San Antonio or in Houston?

We are planning on going to San Antonio. Which site did your family use for the vaccine?  We would like to use a known entity and also find a hotel close by.   

Thanks for all the information you provide.

3 hours ago, Rainbird said:

Mostlylost

Did members of your family seem to have a better experience in San Antonio or in Houston?

We are planning on going to San Antonio. Which site did your family use for the vaccine?  We would like to use a known entity and also find a hotel close by.   

Thanks for all the information you provide.

They used university health as well in San Antonio. Not sure where in Houston.  Both locations they stayed in their car and total time  about 45 minutes. We got Moderna in Walmart ..no wait total time 20 minutes. Now you can get it in CVS, Walgreens, Walmart and many other locations.  

• MexLuis changed the title to Go NOB Texas for Vaccine?

I am the female portion of this couple/screen.  It is I who would like to pair up with a travel buddy!  Again, I am setting my sights on later in May thru June to do this trip.

Just drop me a line (PM) if you think we might be a match and can help one another out!

I am happy that this thread has brought another route of vaccination to those desiring that protection.

We must keep in mind that we are all in this together.  We have a responsibility to others, to take steps so we are not spreaders.

I also understand that this pandemic is wearing on many.  I have a 103 year old aunt who says if she waits till it is over, till she goes out,

she may never go out.  I get that.  Still we encouraged her to be fully vaccinated before roaming about town, or bringing back the virus

to the other seniors in her independent living building.  She loves running about town, via taxi and bus to all the medical appointments she

loves so.. (ja ja ja - she really likes that activity)

As part of my work, I manage those who are disabled, and give them a life that is up a few notches, more than they would have experienced/imagined.  A large number of my population never leave their bed or go out because they are wheelchair bound and it is not easy to do such, even in pre-pandemic times.  For us able bodied, being limited to online is painful.  To those who are disabled and without internet, that becomes a godsend, as they reach out to virtual worlds, socializing, and resources that they had never imaged were available.  It comes down to perspective, now doesn't it.. smile.

Thus, it is no biggie to me to wait till I am fully vaccinated. I am a youngish 60 and yes there will be other opportunities for all the social interaction I can take.

That said, we should, in spite of our frustrations and desire to get back into that flow, be patient.

Many who contact me want to sight see or do other activities but... It is really like playing Russian Roulette... especially with variants out there: It is completely possible to get a vaccine and until it truly kicks in, you can get this virus. "Based on a Washington Post analysis of data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, The Post estimates about 21,000 of 470,000 people who tested positive for coronavirus for the week ended Sunday already had their first dose. Michigan, where cases have been rising sharply with the rise of highly transmissible variants, accounts for about a tenth of that estimate."  The title of that article in The Washington Post, says it well: 

Those who got covid between vaccine doses urge caution: ’We were so close’

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/04/23/getting-covid-after-vaccine/

There’s one thing that I’d like to bring to your attention if you DRIVE.
Both my wife and I had side effects after our 2nd Pfizer shot. 
We had the same symptom, started after 24 hours and lasted 24 hours.
I’d definitely NOT fit to drive during that 24 hours!