Chapala.com Webboard

A little science about those face masks

3 minutes ago, AndyPanda said:

H is learning, just like everyone, and he doesn't hide or obfuscate or lie when he interprets the latest information. And he starts with a much higher level of knowledge about these things than you or I. Infinitely higher. Trust your scientists. It may change over time, but at least it is on a knowledgeable path, unlike armchair critics.

Don't know who "H" is

I must admit that I am a little puzzled by those staunch (or semi) anti maskers, who in spite of medical evidence saying masks can help prevent infection that might kill somebody, claim it is their constitutional right to have a choice about their own health.  Many of those same folks are also "pro life."  So seems to me some lives are worth worrying about and some aren't.  Remember, masks are mostly to protect others not just yourself.  Same with hand washing and distancing.  Just be nice out there. 

Alan

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, barrbower said:

I must admit that I am a little puzzled by those staunch (or semi) anti maskers, who in spite of medical evidence saying masks can help prevent infection that might kill somebody, claim it is their constitutional right to have a choice about their own health.  Many of those same folks are also "pro life."  So seems to me some lives are worth worrying about and some aren't.  Remember, masks are mostly to protect others not just yourself.  Same with hand washing and distancing.  Just be nice out there. 

Alan

Umm...good point but I think false equivalency. Aborting a baby is a definite choice to terminate a life. Not wearing a mask is failing to take proven action that reduces the chances. Not exactly the same thing...but worth considering.

5 minutes ago, mexjerry said:

So barrbower, sound like to me, you didn`t read the article.

The basic gist, masks cause more harm than good.

That is surely a take-away from this article, a hypothesis from one individual which has not been peer reviewed by anyone and has been refuted/negated by other studies.  The devil is always in the details isn't it?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dostortas said:

Covid religionist...now that’s a good line!  

Belittling and dismissing a stance by coming up with some deragatory name for people is the adolescent stuff of those who actually have no real way to defend their position.

I guess all the doctors and nurses working around the clock to try to save the lives of COVID patients are "Covid religionists". 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

Belittling and dismissing a stance by coming up with some deragatory name for people is the adolescent stuff of those who actually have no real way to defend their position.

I guess all the doctors and nurses working around the clock to try to save the lives of COVID patients are "Covid religionists". 

No, belittling other people seems more like your thing.  A covid religionists sounds like a fitting term for all the folks that just endlessly preach about covid.  I do wish it was a bit like religion where the educated were taught not to discuss such topics  publicly.  Peace out.  ✌️ 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

False equivalency.  :D 

No, I read it.  Just not fact/science based, in my opinion.  As to my comparison to the other "choice" hot button issue it was only an attempt to show that some folks are able to pick and choose which life is worth saving and which choice should be protected by one's own beliefs.  On both sides of both issues, by the way.  We humans are a fickle bunch.  Alan

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

You mean like "super spreader"?

:D 

I didn't come up with that term. It has been used all through the pandemic and isn't a deragatory term used to belittle others' beliefs. It's a description of actual events- those who go maskless and refuse to distance and congregate in groups are the people who spread the virus.

Nor have I ever started a topic post to espouse my "agenda", unlike you and the like-minded deniers, who seem to need to try to convince everyone that over 3 million dead from COVID in just over a year, not to mention the high percentage of those suffering long term effects, is no big deal.

12 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

I made no statement in reference to the original post.  I posted a peer reviewed paper from a government site and suggested only that one draw their own conclusions.  There is plenty more out there on this topic both pro and con.

Assuming one is a proponent of anything for simply posting something about it is jumping to conclusions.

Cats, TOB has run off all the dissenters.  The same folks would like to do that here as well.  It is easy to have "manners" when everyone agrees with you.  It is unfortunate that the holders of a certain ideology just can't handle dissent without getting personal and nasty but that is just how it is these days.  

Totally agree.  Some just can't tolerate something that disagrees with their opinion, so they criticise the poster instead of the topic.

• Like 1

You might find this interesting.  For the most comprehensive view, read the first study and then the updates.  This is science.  Belief generally falls in the category of religion.

https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/full/10.7326/M20-3213  

As to an earlier comment finding the questioning of the general real world public use of flimsy fabric masks often neither sanitized nor worn properly as "aghast."  

I'm a little aghast as well that any experienced medical professional would equate the use of surgical grade masks in environments where there is also strong emphasis on air and total surface and clothing sanitation with the foregoing public reality of porous fabric masks mostly worn and sanitized improperly.

The politicians all over including our Jalisco governor are all about control and being seen as doing "something."  The media makes their living with exaggeration of disasters, spreading misinformation and hysteria.  Both love covid for obvious reasons.  It is right there in front of one's face if they chose to look.

We have the choice to understand the difference between science and belief driven by overblown media coverage, make intelligent choices based on the known risk levels for contamination in various settings, learn the difference between real protection and false feel good virtue signaling and get on with our lives.  

So you won't find me walking alone on the street, driving my own car, or when otherwise well away from others wearing a mask.  You also won't find me in crowds or gatherings of any kind nor shopping at busy times.  I won't be at the local dance bar wearing my porous little mask thinking I am quite safe to be in what is one of the most unsafe settings for getting covid.  You won't find me eating indoors at the local restaurants.

I'll put the mask on when I go into a shop and promptly take it off when I return to my car or the open air.  Practicing social distancing and minimizing situations where contact with covid might be more than very brief (the science clearly says transmission is much more likely with prolonged contact) will continue to be my primary strategy for prevention.  In deference to the fear so many here have allowed themselves to be led into, I will cross the street to keep the distance between me and someone walking alone wearing their little porous mask.

I'll follow the reports of success of treatment from REAL doctors, not grossly overpaid politicized professional bureaucrats who haven't practiced medicine for decades, if ever.  I'll view covid from the historical perspective and realize that as "pandemics" go it sure isn't the black plague.  The real plague here feels to me like the economic, health and social damage done mainly to "the folks" by said politicians and media.  

I'll keep following credible sources, most assuredly not the U.S. press or government and particularly the growing reports of side effects and people getting covid after getting "the jab."  The foreign press is a far better source for uncensored and more factual news on this topic.  I recommend it.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it  :D 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

I'll view covid from the historical perspective and realize that as "pandemics" go it sure isn't the black plague

Why do you make absurd comparisons like this? The black plague happened in the mid 1300s. Like before modern medicine and modern science. The only reason we have 3 million Covid deaths so far compared to 75-200 million deaths is because we now know more about how to deal with infectious diseases, people are healthier, we have proper sanitation and have doctors and nurses working around the clock in ICU wards saving people's lives.

And you know how the black plague finally slowed down? Quarantine. People didn't go out. Your highly-panned lockdowns.

5 hours ago, mudgirl said:

Why do you make absurd comparisons like this? The black plague happened in the mid 1300s. Like before modern medicine and modern science. The only reason we have 3 million Covid deaths so far compared to 75-200 million deaths is because we now know more about how to deal with infectious diseases, people are healthier, we have proper sanitation and have doctors and nurses working around the clock in ICU wards saving people's lives.

And you know how the black plague finally slowed down? Quarantine. People didn't go out. Your highly-panned lockdowns.

Self quarantine.  And killing rats.  And finally group immunity.

OK I also survived polio.  And all the subsequent flu variations.  As did you I suspect.  Talk about debilitating.  Did we shut down the planet for it?  No.

Two hundred million deaths?  LOL.  You counting death from motorcycle accidents?  That is exactly the sort of fear spreading speculation that I am referring to.

Look I somewhat understand why you are so fearful and obsessed with this.  You live in an area near to PV where it has been a significantly greater problem than we do.  Here, 0.1 percent death toll after more than a year and most with serious accompanying health issues.  The expat death toll is a tiny fraction of that small number. 

We are far more likely to get killed trying to cross the main drag than die from covid.

Maybe you should move back.  :D 

LfvMQgl.jpg