Chapala.com Webboard

Newest 20 peso coin

As stated the latest in a series is the Zapata commemorative. It was released for distribution by banks on April 12th.  It is 2 color and 12 sided.

Composition

1. Center of the coin: copper-nickel-zinc alloy.

• Content: 65% (sixty five percent) copper; 10% (ten percent) nickel; and 25% (twenty-five percent) zinc.
  • Weight: 5.51 grams.

2. Peripheral ring of the coin: bronze-aluminum alloy.

• Content: 92% (ninety two percent) copper; 6% (six percent) aluminum; and 2% (two percent) nickel.
  • Weight: 7.16 grams.

The previous one was issued to celebrate the 500th anniversary of Veracruz was issued April 22, 2020 It is 2 color as well. (pictured)

Other commemorative coins issued have been:

50th anniversary of the implementation of the Navy plan (Plan Marina)November 23, 2018

Fiftieth anniversary of the implementation of the DN-III-E planJuly 12, 2017

100th anniversary of the enactment of the Constitution of the United Mexican States (February 5, 1917)February 5, 2017

Bicentennial of General José María Morelos y Pavón’s deathDecember 22,

2015Centennial of Mexico’s Air ForceOctober 14, 2015

Centennial of the taking of ZacatecasSeptember 5, 2014

Centennial of the heroic deed of the port of VeracruzAugust 14, 2014

150th anniversary of the birth and 100th anniversary of the death of Belisario DomínguezNovember 5, 2013

100 years of Mexico’s Armed ForcesAugust 15, 2013

Twentieth anniversary of Octavio Paz receiving the Nobel Prize in LiteratureMarch 31, 2011

Octavio Paz, the new millennium April 3, 2000

Coin Veracruz.JPG

I got one a couple of weeks ago.... NOT like OP's photo. It IS different, and it did have both colours and faceted edges, but I got rid of it ASAP as would be really easy to mistake one for the other in a hurry. And I did have to point out the person receiving that is was twenty, and not 10 pesos.

1 hour ago, Mostlylost said:

As stated the latest in a series is the Zapata commemorative It was released for distribution by banks on April 12th.  It is 2 color and 12 sided.

Composition

1. Center of the coin: copper-nickel-zinc alloy.

• Content: 65% (sixty five percent) copper; 10% (ten percent) nickel; and 25% (twenty-five percent) zinc.
  • Weight: 5.51 grams.

2. Peripheral ring of the coin: bronze-aluminum alloy.

• Content: 92% (ninety two percent) copper; 6% (six percent) aluminum; and 2% (two percent) nickel.
  • Weight: 7.16 grams.

The previous one was issued to celebrate the 500th anniversary of Veracruz was issued April 22, 2020 It is 2 color as well. (pictured)

Other commemorative coins issued have been:

50th anniversary of the implementation of the Navy plan (Plan Marina)November 23, 2018

Fiftieth anniversary of the implementation of the DN-III-E planJuly 12, 2017

100th anniversary of the enactment of the Constitution of the United Mexican States (February 5, 1917)February 5, 2017

Bicentennial of General José María Morelos y Pavón’s deathDecember 22,

2015Centennial of Mexico’s Air ForceOctober 14, 2015

Centennial of the taking of ZacatecasSeptember 5, 2014

Centennial of the heroic deed of the port of VeracruzAugust 14, 2014

150th anniversary of the birth and 100th anniversary of the death of Belisario DomínguezNovember 5, 2013

100 years of Mexico’s Armed ForcesAugust 15, 2013

Twentieth anniversary of Octavio Paz receiving the Nobel Prize in LiteratureMarch 31, 2011

Octavio Paz, the new millennium April 3, 2000

Coin Veracruz.JPG

It is hard to tell they are two colors. The one I have is not nearly as obvious as the picture Mostlylost posted.

20210412_215256.jpg

32 minutes ago, Natasha said:

Hah! I remember when the toonie was first issued in Canada.  The middle parts started to fall out and they had to re-tool to fix the mess! 😄 Suppose by now they're well-known and accepted.

It's a lot easier to tear a paper bill....

Features:

• A special locking mechanism allows the outer ring and the core to stay locked together. This mechanism has been developed by the Royal Canadian Mint and is patented. The inner core of the coin can withstand up to 181 kilos of pressure, or about ten times the pressure the average human hand can exert.
  • The coin has a unique electromagnetic signal which allows each coin to be accepted to rejected by coin accepting machines such as vending, parking, transit, and coin counting machines.
  • The coin is made of pure alloy material and the manufacturing process requires specialized equipment.
  • Since 2006, the bottom of the obverse side features the Mint Mark, which consists of an encircled design composed of a stylized maple leaf emerging from the letter M.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Natasha said:

I got one a couple of weeks ago.... NOT like OP's photo. It IS different, and it did have both colours and faceted edges, but I got rid of it ASAP as would be really easy to mistake one for the other in a hurry. And I did have to point out the person receiving that is was twenty, and not 10 pesos.

You got one of the 13 different previously issued coins which are all in circulation. 

23 hours ago, virgo lady said:

It's a lot easier to tear a paper bill....

Features:

• A special locking mechanism allows the outer ring and the core to stay locked together. This mechanism has been developed by the Royal Canadian Mint and is patented. The inner core of the coin can withstand up to 181 kilos of pressure, or about ten times the pressure the average human hand can exert.
  • The coin has a unique electromagnetic signal which allows each coin to be accepted to rejected by coin accepting machines such as vending, parking, transit, and coin counting machines.
  • The coin is made of pure alloy material and the manufacturing process requires specialized equipment.
  • Since 2006, the bottom of the obverse side features the Mint Mark, which consists of an encircled design composed of a stylized maple leaf emerging from the letter M.

A pity that the value of the  Lonnie is not as strong,  I guess that's why they haveto  make so manly 

• Haha 1

Virgo Lady:  yes, paper bills are "weaker"... but they sure were easier/lighter  to have in  purse or pocket! Canada DID have paper $2 bills where I believe (?) U.S. never did and  I still have the last one I ever got as a memento.

Lakeside:  They have to make so many because there is no longer the paper alternative. Lamentable falling value against peso 😢has nothing to do with it.

On 4/14/2021 at 9:34 AM, virgo lady said:

Nice coin, like the reverse two tone of the Toonie in Canada.    Two tone, 2 bucks.      Time for the USA to get it going, feeding rumpled bills into a vending machine that spits them back half the time is so passe'.    😉

image.jpeg.86818b41b301198e909a54c4193f29b2.jpeg

Many if not most US vending machines take electronic payments these day.  

1 hour ago, mudgirl said:

Well known medical fact. You really need to keep up with the science, Bisbee Gal. 🙂

Carrying a $2.00 USD paper bill only prevents Covid if all the digits in the serial number are letters. Otherwise, no protection. Someone should tell AMLO.

• Like 2