Chapala.com Webboard

Price of propane

I don't have a solar water heater but do have an on demand water heater. My little 180 litre propane tank was last filled in December of 2019. And I absolutely know that none of my gas pipes leak because they are outside. I cook, I use hot water for bathing and washing the dishes. I'm very happy especially considering that the last house we rented needed to have the 300 litre tank filled every two months. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Ferret said:

I don't have a solar water heater but do have an on demand water heater. My little 180 litre propane tank was last filled in December of 2019. And I absolutely know that none of my gas pipes leak because they are outside. I cook, I use hot water for bathing and washing the dishes. I'm very happy especially considering that the last house we rented needed to have the 300 litre tank filled every two months. 

That's about how much I go through, too. I use the 30 liter cylinders and have to buy about 3 a year, if that. And I don't even have an on-demand water heater. But I only light the water heater 15 minutes before I want to shower and turn it off again after. The water stays hot enough between lightings to do dishes.

• Like 1

All the new houses being built in SE SAT have 180L tank.  A way to save money.  My water heater is so bad I have to fill the tank monthly.  Going to replace with instant on type heater as I have had in previous houses. Funny thing current water heater says ecoloical (sp) model.  Standing pilot light says otherwise.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, lcscats said:

All the new houses being built in SE SAT have 180L tank.  A way to save money.  My water heater is so bad I have to fill the tank monthly.  Going to replace with instant on type heater as I have had in previous houses. Funny thing current water heater says ecoloical (sp) model.  Standing pilot light says otherwise.

Exactly the same problem I had with a Calorex heater even with flue dampener.  Gas consumption cut by more than half by changing this to on demand.  However on demand units do require annual maintenance and that is a cost too.

• 11 months later...
On 4/6/2021 at 12:38 AM, mudgirl said:

Sorry, I didn't notice it was a Facebook link. I don't use Facebook either. I don't live Lakeside, and don't know if the cost of propane varies in different areas, but I use the cylinders, not a stationary tank, and I just paid almost 700 pesos for a cylinder. But not sure how many litres the big cylinders are.

The cylinders are about 90 pesos.

On 4/9/2021 at 4:08 PM, AndyPanda said:

Maybe, but 300 is typical and a standard install in new construction unless specified differently.

Yesa 300 liters is the norm but I have seen 1,000 liters

On 4/9/2021 at 3:39 PM, Mostlylost said:

There is no "normal" size. There are different sizes. Your question is like asking "how much does it cost to fill a normal car gas tank.. the size most cars have"

I have a 170 liter tank. One neighbor has a 300 liter tank the other neighbor has a 500 liter tank. I am sure there are other sizes.... no "normal"

They live among us and more are coming each day.

On 4/11/2021 at 7:28 AM, Mainecoons said:

Exactly the same problem I had with a Calorex heater even with flue dampener.  Gas consumption cut by more than half by changing this to on demand.  However on demand units do require annual maintenance and that is a cost too.

What is that yearly maintenance?

14 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

In any case  it will be best to fill before April 10th   The odds are there will be an increase after that date.

Propane prices are impacted by crude oil prices and since start of the war in Ukraine, propane prices have gone up each week. And I believe, tho not certain, Mexico gets much of its propane from the U.S. Why do think there will be another jump after April 10th? Is it b/c summer driving season will cause crude oil prices to increase?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

It is cleaned and adjusted.  Cost about $100 for someone to come out from GDL and do it.

Given the cost of propane now, still quite cost effective.  We can go over a year on our 1000 liter tank.  

Is the inside of the tank cleaned? If so, one would need to empty the tank. And what's adjusted?

27 minutes ago, InChapala1 said:

Is the inside of the tank cleaned? If so, one would need to empty the tank. And what's adjusted?

It doesn't have a tank.  The heating coils are cleaned.

They adjust the burner and anything else needed.

If I knew exactly what is done I'd do it myself.  :D 

• Thanks 2