Chapala.com Webboard

Dust Storm Closes Guad./Colima Highway

Due to strong dust storms that began in the morning hours of Thursday, a section of the Guadalajara to Colima highway was forced to close due to visibility issues.

Authorities reported after 9:00 AM that the Acatlán de Juárez and Sayula toll plaza in the direction towards Colima were closed, as a result of a strong dust storm from kilometer 12 to 55.

ryan1.gif

For those who leave the Guadalajara Metropolitan Area (ZMG) heading to Colima, it is recommended to take the free highway to Colima from Acatlán de Juárez.

After 2:00 PM, Civil Protection and Firefighters of Jalisco reported that the closure continues at the Acatlán de Juárez and Sayula booths.

Alert for strong winds in Jalisco

The National Water Commission (Conagua) forecast for this Thursday strong winds of 50 to 60 kilometers per hour in Jalisco, as well as in Colima, Nayarit, Sinaloa, Sonora, Baja California, and Baja California S

I missed this event by a whisker

On Wednesday I was driving back from Veracruz, and was scheduled to spend the night in Colima but I ended up driving on to Chapala. 1000 km in one day !

But if I had stayed in Colima and continued on Thursday I would have been hit with this high wind event and I was driving a high profile vehicle !

I did have a nice tail wind which maybe helped my decision to keep going. 

My angels were were working that day 🙂

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, slainte39 said:

How does Colima get on a trip from Vera Cruz to Chapala unless you were doing a circuitous route of traveling for other reasons?

Some like to see the scenery not just go from A to B.

9 hours ago, slainte39 said:

How does Colima get on a trip from Vera Cruz to Chapala unless you were doing a circuitous route of traveling for other reasons?

I keep mixing up Colima and Morelia... 

It was Morelia I passed by, so oops never mind. Still tired from the trip

11 hours ago, ea93105 said:

I keep mixing up Colima and Morelia... 

It was Morelia I passed by, so oops never mind. Still tired from the trip

You didn´t have to drive all the way, because the dry lake bed is between Chapala and Colima, not the opposite direction where you were coming from.

Just curious....What is high profile vehicle in a dust/wind storm ?

53 minutes ago, slainte39 said:

You didn´t have to drive all the way, because the dry lake bed is between Chapala and Colima, not the opposite direction where you were coming from.

Just curious....What is high profile vehicle in a dust/wind storm ?

8ft tall  Volkswagen Crafter. I reached Morelia at about 7pm and decided to just keep going.  I had no idea the next day was going to have the high winds, just got lucky, but Wednesday night was very windy here lakeside !

• Thanks 1