Chapala.com Webboard

How we can overcome vaccine hesitancy

That was a good article. Personally, I don't get any of my news from mainstream media. But I am aware of the political leanings of the news sites I look in,and if I'm unfamiliar with a site, I'll do some research to see who they are funded by and whether it's a site that has been regularly debunked for posting false or selectively edited info.

• Like 3

I support vaccination 100% and will take Pfizer or Moderna or probably J&J as soon as any of those is / are offered to me.

Right now, not the Astra Zeneca, however, as has been discussed, and continues to be a concern:   (special note to Andy Panda.....I continue to be right on this, and you.....not)

British regulators increase number of blood clot cases after AstraZeneca vaccine to 30 | CBC News

1 hour ago, virgo lady said:

I support vaccination 100% and will take Pfizer or Moderna or probably J&J as soon as any of those is / are offered to me.

Right now, not the Astra Zeneca, however, as has been discussed, and continues to be a concern:   (special note to Andy Panda.....I continue to be right on this, and you.....not)

British regulators increase number of blood clot cases after AstraZeneca vaccine to 30 | CBC News

Keep claiming that, bright boy, but you have never shown an iota, not a scintilla, of proof of the deaths you announced. You protest too much and far too often to even be considered for validation.

• Sad 2

Excellent article - well worth reading. They make an important distinction between anti-vaxxers and hesitant vaxxers. Educating the hesitant is necessary to achieving herd immunity.

And HuffPo is one of my regular sources for news with a progressive slant I admit.

We have the reason. Nothing but the vaccine can explain why these individuals had this immune response. ~ Professor Pål Andre Holme, Oslo University Hospital

A March 18, 2021, article in Science Norway reads, in part:8

“’Our theory that this is a powerful immune response most likely triggered by the vaccine, has been confirmed,’ says professor and chief physician Pål Andre Holme. Three Norwegian health workers under the age of 50 have been hospitalized. One is dead …‘In collaboration with experts in the field from the University Hospital of North Norway HF, we have found specific antibodies against blood platelets that can cause these reactions, and which we know from other fields of medicine, but then with medical drugs as the cause of the reaction,’ the chief physician explains …

When asked to clarify why he says ‘most likely’ in the quote, Holme confidently responds that the reason for these rare cases of blood clots has been found.

‘We have the reason. Nothing but the vaccine can explain why these individuals had this immune response,’ he states. [Norwegian national newspaper] VG also asks how Holme can know that the immune response is not caused by something other than the vaccine.

‘There is nothing in the patient history of these individuals that can give such a powerful immune response. I am confident that the antibodies that we have found are the cause, and I see no other explanation than it being the vaccine which triggers it,’ he responds.”

The three health workers reported acute pain, bleeding, low platelet counts and were found to have blood clots in “unusual places,” such as their stomachs and brains. Later that same day, March 18, 2021, the European Medicines Agency ruled the AstraZeneca vaccine is “safe and effective, despite some concerns over possible side effects,” CNBC reported,9 and that benefits of the vaccine outweigh the risks.

Meanwhile, March 22, 2021, Norway Today reported the Norwegian Medicines Agency had received two new reports of blood clots with deadly consequences following vaccination with the AstraZeneca vaccine. In a press release, the agency stated that “The Norwegian Medicines Agency cannot rule out that these cases may have a connection with the AstraZeneca vaccine.”10 One of the two victims was a health care worker.

German Experts Weigh In

A March 19, 2021, German Spektrum article11 reviews preliminary findings by German investigators, which add further weight to Holme’s findings in Norway. It reads, in part (translation from German using translate.com):

“The effects of the suspended vaccinations with the AstraZeneca vaccine are believed to have been due to a particular immune response that activates platelets and thus triggers thrombosis. This preliminary conclusion is being made by a working group made up of Andreas Greinacher from the University Hospital Greifswald.

The effect corresponds in many details to a heparin-induced thrombocytopenia (HIT) type 2,12 in which antibodies against a protein complex are formed in connection with heparin, which in turn respond to a receptor on the platelets …

The team demonstrated the similarity of thrombosis with HIT in the blood of four patients with sinus vein thrombosis. Antibodies appear to form against a complex of heparin and the signaling molecule PF4, which in turn interact with the receptor CD32 of the platelets and thus activate them.

This triggers the clotting cascade, which leads to the thrombosis. The antibodies produced in the vaccinated individuals were very similar to those found in HIT, Greinacher said at a news conference. So far, however, it is still unclear where these antibodies come from, whether they form against the vaccine virus or the spike antigen or perhaps against a factor only involved in the immune response.”

16 hours ago, mexjerry said:

Some of you will declare it as "fake news", because its not "main stream"

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/coronavirus-vaccine-anti-vaxxers-hesitancy_l_605cb070c5b65d1c281350e0

I think many of us hesitant vaxxers will take the vaccine when we are convinced that it is safe over time.  Remember that this is not a normal vaccine but a whole new technology. It does not have FDA approval, but has a special emergency cue approval. For different hesitant vaxxers, the time period without more serious DNA based side effects in order to decide to take vax will vary.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, geeser said:

I think many of us hesitant vaxxers will take the vaccine when we are convinced that it is safe over time.  Remember that this is not a normal vaccine but a whole new technology. It does not have FDA approval, but has a special emergency cue approval. For different hesitant vaxxers, the time period without more serious DNA based side effects in order to decide to take vax will vary.

You lucky guy with unlimited time opposite to, I suspect, most of us on this board with not much of that luxury available.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, geeser said:

That depends entirely on which vaccine you are getting. Some are the new mRNA technology like Pfizer and Moderna and others, like Sputnik, are old school which "inject the whole dead virus" into your body. And there are others with only the spike protein piggy backing on an adenovirus etc. etc. It's up to you to find out all the variables.

I am one of the hesitants. I'm not going to go into my reasons here, but they're many and as valid as those you have that make you pro-shot. If you have a compromised immune system, are obese, or have other health issues, I absolutely understand the choice to take the shot and would probably do the same; however, I AM relatively young (for here! lol), take my health seriously by diet and exercise, and go maskless as often as I can to take in the fresh air. So far, I've been as healthy as a horse (but thankfully, not the size of one!) I honestly believe that staying shuttered indoors is the worst thing we can do to ourselves, but JMHO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, Tingting said:

I am one of the hesitants. I'm not going to go into my reasons here, but they're many and as valid as those you have that make you pro-shot. If you have a compromised immune system, are obese, or have other health issues, I absolutely understand the choice to take the shot and would probably do the same; however, I AM relatively young (for here! lol), take my health seriously by diet and exercise, and go maskless as often as I can to take in the fresh air. So far, I've been as healthy as a horse (but thankfully, not the size of one!) I honestly believe that staying shuttered indoors is the worst thing we can do to ourselves, but JMHO.

People should respect that choice.

• Like 3

Excerpt from Associated Press article in Globe & Mail:

Britain recommends continued use of all vaccines after reports of 30 cases of blood clots linked to AstraZeneca shot - The Globe and Mail

Britain’s medicines regulator has reported that 30 people who received the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine developed rare blood clots, up from five cases the agency disclosed last month.

The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency said in an updated safety report issued late Thursday that out of 18.1 million vaccinations with the AstraZeneca jab, it had received a total of 22 reports of cerebral venous sinus thrombosis, a sometimes fatal condition that occurs when clots form in veins that drain blood from the brain. The MHRA said it had also received eight reports of other clotting events coupled with low platelets, which can lead to heavy bleeding. The MHRA said on Friday that of the 30 cases, there had been seven deaths.

It had no similar reports from people who received the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, which has been used in about 11 million vaccinations.

The MHRA concluded that “on the basis of this ongoing review, the benefits of the vaccines against COVID-19 continue to outweigh any risks.” It added that “all vaccines and medicines have some side effects. These side effects need to be continuously balanced against the expected benefits in preventing illness.”

Not long after the MHRA’s report was released, the Dutch government said it was temporarily halting AstraZeneca coronavirus vaccinations for people under 60. Pharmacovigilance Centre Lareb, a Dutch organization that monitors vaccine side effects, said it had received five reports of blood clots and low blood platelet counts following vaccinations. All the cases occurred between seven and 10 days after the vaccinations and all the people affected were women between the ages of 25 and 65.

The organization said in the period when the five cases were reported, some 400,000 people were vaccinated in the Netherlands with the AstraZeneca shot.

Health Minister Hugo de Jonge says the temporary halt is a precautionary measure.

“I think it is very important that the Dutch reports are also properly investigated,” Mr. De Jonge said. “We must err on the side of caution.”

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Data on Russian vaccine is available. I have read it.  Only thing I could find for Chinese vaccine was first and second study on 600 people versus 35,000 on Pfizer for early study. I passed the info on Chinese vaccine to the Doctors I know. They seems less than enthusiastic about the study due to low numbers.  Now many more people in Brazil have taken Chinese vaccine but I find no data on this other than simple numbers without data.  I would take the Russian vaccine. At this point in time until I see more data I will not take the Chinese Vaccine.  I am very healthy and work on my immune system.  Others may take same data and be glad to take any vaccine.   All our mileage may vary. I respect any personal decision.  Its just not clear to me.

• Like 1

According to the GR, the people getting the Sinovac vaccine were told, after they stood in line for XX. hours, that they couldn't be vaccinated if they were allergic to penicillin - which  I am. My research indicates this is not the case for most other vaccines. I don't know if this is Sinovac only, some Chinese vaccines only or if the nice volunteers were misinformed. So I am being cautious.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AndyPanda said:

A number of wesites confirm that the only thing to look out for is allergies to specific ingredients in your vaccine. So the penicillin comment is misleaiding, to say the leaf an overreactiont.

I finally found one article that said one person with severe penicillin allergy had reacted to the Sinovac vaccine so a bit of an overreaction on their part.