Chapala.com Webboard

CRUELTY AND ABUSE OF BIRDS

We went to the "Pet Place" in Chapala today to get a pump for a bird bath. 

Near the door there was a glass or plastic enclosure that help about 4 birds that looked like Cardinals. i don't believe that this kind of bird is typically found in a cage. They were repeatedly flying into the glass trying to get out, hitting it with their beaks. They obviously didn't want to be in that enclosure, They are going to injure themselves.

I believe this is cruel and abusive. Does anyone know if Chapala has a regulation against this, and how can the birds be helped and the procedure stopped.

10 hours ago, dichosalocura said:

Buy them and set them free.

Nice thought.... but just checked (on line plus Howell and Webb "Bird Guide for Mexico....etc..". and they are NOT native to this part of Mexico. So unlikely they would survive here if freed.

I too hate seeing birds caged. Wonder if Pet place would be amenable to making a change re: reflections in glass??

8 hours ago, AndyPanda said:

This has been going on for decades. Check out Plaza Libertad in Guadalajara to see a truly huge selection of trapped wild birds. Every so often, the sellers get busted, then they come right back.

Most of the birds you see there are raised in commercial aviaries, some by highly specialized and licensed  exotic bird breeders. In one such case, when Geoffrey Kaye owned the Animal Shelter, he bought/helped others buy hand-raised and "people trained" young birds as pets.

Plaza is regularly "raided" to assure same after laws were changed several years ago about selling birds in tianguis,  street corners, and places like that. That's why you no longer see the guys trying to sell small parrots, budgies, canaries, etc along the carretera near El Torito any more.

Doesn't change the fact the TEENSY cages some spend their day are horrific.

10 hours ago, AndyPanda said:

This has been going on for decades. Check out Plaza Libertad in Guadalajara to see a truly huge selection of trapped wild birds. Every so often, the sellers get busted, then they come right back.

So, because it has been going on for decades it is OK? FYI, Mexicans trap WILD birds and then sell them. Cardinals happen to mate for life and trapping and selling them destroys that. I believe they are also protected in Mexico. 

4 hours ago, luvsdawgs said:

So, because it has been going on for decades it is OK? FYI, Mexicans trap WILD birds and then sell them. Cardinals happen to mate for life and trapping and selling them destroys that. I believe they are also protected in Mexico. 

I have never seen cardinals in the wild around here and I walked the mountains a lot.

9 hours ago, Natasha said:

Most of the birds you see there are raised in commercial aviaries, some by highly specialized and licensed  exotic bird breeders. In one such case, when Geoffrey Kaye owned the Animal Shelter, he bought/helped others buy hand-raised and "people trained" young birds as pets.

A "commercial" aviary? I'm not seeing that at those places. I'm seeing a bird version of puppy mills, if anything. And lots of obviously wild birds.

I don't know if I am replying to just one response about my post regarding the Cardinals in a transparent enclosure in Pet Place, or if this will be visible to all who have replied.  Thanks to all of you for your comments. I can definitely boycott Pet Place, because I never go there anyway, but perhaps we could get lots of people to do that. Does anybody want to help spread the word and get people to boycott that store?

From most of the comments, I take it that there are no regulations in Chapala about prohibiting birds to be kept in transparent glass or plastic enclosures. Any cage is inhumane to me. But how could Pet Place be approached about at least putting those birds in a different type of cage?  The 2 young people working there when we went in didn't seem to know much about what they were doing, and I don't speak much Espanol. Any thoughts on this? If I had a big aviary, and the pesos to get one, I would definitely buy the birds and put them where they could at least fly for more than 2 or 3 feet. 

7 hours ago, slainte39 said:

I´ve boycotted bird sellers for over 8 decades......hasn´t helped a lick.

If you mean boycotting bird sellers, as in not bought birds from the guys on the street selling them, or even giving them shit for doing so, no, that's not going to change anything.

But a storefront business, which sells all sorts of pets and pet supplies might have second thoughts if a bunch of customers informed the management of why they'll be going elsewhere to buy their pet supplies.

Several people have asked for a clarification of the location pf the "Pet Place".  This is on Hidalgo across from the Farmacia Guadalajara heading east toward central Chapala.

It is a store that sells pet food and supplies. I didn't realize that there were other "Pet Place"s.

The new laws against animal abuse are not fully understood or applied equally yet I would take your complaint to the ecology Department in Chapala if the birds are being abused then the abuse should be reported they have the ability to not only stop the abuse but to lay fines against the people who are causing it .This administration is trying their best to help the animals that is why the new municipal shelter SOS Chapala came into being.

• Like 2

On 3/28/2021 at 9:13 AM, Natasha said:

Nice thought.... but just checked (on line plus Howell and Webb "Bird Guide for Mexico....etc..". and they are NOT native to this part of Mexico. So unlikely they would survive here if freed.

I too hate seeing birds caged. Wonder if Pet place would be amenable to making a change re: reflections in glass??

They come every year to my yard...

Apologies to everyone who has replied to my post about the birds in the transparent enclosure. I had the name of the  place wrong  Wow, what a dingaling. Thanks to Mattoleriver, (see picture above), it is the "Pet Avenue". 

I'm going there again tomorrow, and will get pictures of the birds.

Also thanks to Sue for the information about reporting this to the Ecology Department. Does anyone know where that is in Chapala? and a phone number or email?

Thanks to all of you!  I need to see what can be done.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, AndyPanda said:

The libramiento and Ajijic do not connect. And there is no Oxxo on the libra. Could you be more specific, please?

Sure there is Andy, been there a long time, just a few steps northeast of the British Petroleum gasolinera, buy coffee there many mornings.  At least their address on the sales tickets say they are there.  LOL   

s