Chapala.com Webboard

WalMart lights

13 minutes ago, RickS said:

Mudgirl what intrigues me is that you make that statement and then say "I do go to Costco".

I also said that nothing I go to Costco for is essential, in other words, it's a want, not a need. If I found it a traffic nightmare to try to get to my nearest Costco, I wouldn't go there either. 

This whole thread, while I appreciate  the valid complaints about poorly planned traffic lights, and poor planning in general, made it sound like shopping at Walmart is something people consider essential to survival.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, AndyPanda said:

The traffic has been a "hot mess" for a good five years or more now, and it has not slowed the influx in any way at all. Witness the astonishing number of cars during the whole period of Covid, when most people from home and from Canada could not even be here.

But the sitruation above Walmart is worse now than then.

1 hour ago, RickS said:

Mudgirl what intrigues me is that you make that statement and then say "I do go to Costco".

She also said "Price: I doubt that a whole lot of expats would be heavily financially impacted by paying a few pesos more per item. If you're a poor Mexican with 6 kids to feed, it might make a significant difference." So Gringo Guilt  should prevent us from saving a few pesos, but it is OK for locals to save significant money. Amazing!!! Walmart was just in the development stage when I moved here full time in 2008 and the locals flocked there when it opened and still do. Saving 50% on a roll of toilet paper is good for them but not for us??? I do not understand this so called logic!!! The locals are laughing all the way to the bank, but I am just laughing...  

1 hour ago, gringohombre said:

So Gringo Guilt  should prevent us from saving a few pesos

As usual, your reading comprehension is poor. I never said there is anything wrong with trying to be frugal and shopping where it's more economical, I said I doubted that paying a few more pesos per item in a smaller store would be financially devastating to most gringos. 

You probably spend far more on wine than any savings you get shopping at Walmart.

11 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

As usual, your reading comprehension is poor. I never said there is anything wrong with trying to be frugal and shopping where it's more economical, I said I doubted that paying a few more pesos per item in a smaller store would be financially devastating to most gringos. 

You probably spend far more on wine than any savings you get shopping at Walmart.

So why should gringos pay a few more pesos per item in a smaller store??? I am not understanding this logic. And yes, a few glasses of wine (vino tinto) a day is a healthy habit that will take me into a long and happy lifespan. Look it up!!! 

9 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

So why should gringos pay a few more pesos per item in a smaller store??? I am not understanding this logic. And yes, a few glasses of wine (vino tinto) a day is a healthy habit that will take me into a long and happy lifespan. Look it up!!! 

Gringos who constantly bitch, whine, moan, and complain about WalMart’s traffic congestion, thieves in the parking lot, cheating cashiers, stocking shelves during busy hours, indifferent managers, and horrible customer service should pay a few more pesos in other stores or stfu.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, Xena said:

Gringos who constantly bitch, whine, moan, and complain about WalMart’s traffic congestion, thieves in the parking lot, cheating cashiers, stocking shelves during busy hours, indifferent managers, and horrible customer service should pay a few more pesos in other stores or stfu.

I have never complained about any of what you outline above and most of that is not true. This thread is about the traffic situation and 10 minutes delay is not going to detour me from the amazing selection and savings on essential household items and much more only 15 minutes from my house. A half hour every 2 weeks or so saves me a lot of time and money. Some folks have an unexplainable instinctive negative reaction to the word WALMART for some reason that frankly I have never understood. Ask any local here whether Walmart is a positive or negative for the community and I guarantee 95+% will give it a positive review.    

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Xena said:

I could not agree more, in fact I wish I had said it.......in fact I will......folks go back up and read Xena´s post again.

And that goes for all the so-called traffic engineers and traffic light systems designers on here that can´t even give their irrefutable expertise away, let alone sell it, to anyone that would listen or make a difference.  I try to engineer my own solutions to problems as I can control that and it beats howling at the moon with no results.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, mudgirl said:

This is not "Gringo Guilt" but "Gringo Awareness". Once you know, you can't unknow and the truth of the matter is that on the personal level it might look like a good deal to save a few pesos at the Big Stores, the hidden costs on the local/global level is too high.  One thing this has to do with is the velocity of money.  It used to be that a dollar spent in the local economy would circulate 9 times before going out of the community, now it's twice.  How divestating is that to a local economy?  The loss of local sales due to the convenience of all-in -one- store shopping when often the same item can be bought locally for less, produce transported thousands of miles on polluting vehicles ,items produced with basically slave labor--that's why it's so cheap, processed foods of dubious value but shiney packaging and years of customer research behind them and the impulse buying associated with them.  Who hasn't left the store with things they didn't have on their list? You're a better person than I am....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Andy's right.  Forget WalMart...it is symptom of the problem.  Traffic and the government's inability to help resolve the problem is the issue.  They had a chance here to make a simple correction and instead created a huge problem.  Forget trying to get into the large traffic generator that is WalMart and concentrate on the traffic itself which continues to get worse daily.  Now this area from West Ajijic into town is a mess.  The area from La Floresta to Riberas is a mess.  They spent a LOT of money on a ciclovia, which in and of itself is not a bad idea, and then a lot more on this major intersection.  In both cases designs were created with no local input or discussion or evaluation and all who live here will continue to pay the price for their recklessness.  Alan

• Like 4

The intersection is a work in progress. Yes, the traffic was backed up in San Antonio but, AFTER the Walmart intersection it was smooth sailing yesterday into Ajijic. And, there are now orange cones and tape blocking the "entrance/exit" from Walmart that aligns with the libramiento. I would like to know why there is no entrance/exit from the backside of Walmart. And I shop everywhere because no store fills all my needs/wants. Personally, I find entering and exiting the Soriana parking lot and the Chapala traffic to be worse. YMMV.

• Like 2

You will make a right hand turn onto the east/west highway from the libramiento. Make a left hand turn at the first entrance in La Floresta and then an immediate left turn onto the lateral. Join the highway again and make the first right turn (the lane that runs on the west side of Autozone) and follow it around to the Walmart parking lot. To leave, you get a break but can only exit from the far east side of the Walmart parking lot. There are now operable lights there for you to safely make your left turn onto the highway and then another right turn back on to the libramiento.

16 minutes ago, Ferret said:

You will make a right hand turn onto the east/west highway from the libramiento. Make a left hand turn at the first entrance in La Floresta and then an immediate left turn onto the lateral. Join the highway again and make the first right turn (the lane that runs on the west side of Autozone) and follow it around to the Walmart parking lot. To leave, you get a break but can only exit from the far east side of the Walmart parking lot. There are now operable lights there for you to safely make your left turn onto the highway and then another right turn back on to the libramiento.

Thank you Ferret!

Well no wonder people are upset.  You have to go to La Floresta before you can go to Walmart from the Libramiento.  Of course, there will be those that turn into where Domino's, Santander, Fester are located and then swing around to the Auto Zone entrance.   

3 hours ago, cafemediterraneo said:

This is not "Gringo Guilt" but "Gringo Awareness". Once you know, you can't unknow and the truth of the matter is that on the personal level it might look like a good deal to save a few pesos at the Big Stores, the hidden costs on the local/global level is too high.  One thing this has to do with is the velocity of money.  It used to be that a dollar spent in the local economy would circulate 9 times before going out of the community, now it's twice.  How divestating is that to a local economy?  The loss of local sales due to the convenience of all-in -one- store shopping when often the same item can be bought locally for less, produce transported thousands of miles on polluting vehicles ,items produced with basically slave labor--that's why it's so cheap, processed foods of dubious value but shiney packaging and years of customer research behind them and the impulse buying associated with them.  Who hasn't left the store with things they didn't have on their list? You're a better person than I am....

It's all about CHANGE...weather changes (remember the Ice Age?), transportation changes (anyone remember horse and buggies?), communication changes (what happened to all the payphones?) and SHOPPING changes!!! People have to adapt. It's all about FREE CHOICE. Sometimes I will go to the abarrote a block from my house for beer. Of course they have beer...but not MY brand. I go in and feel somewhat embarrassed when the door chime goes off since I can hear the TV behind the curtain and know that I am interrupting Lupita's favorite novela. Now, Lupita and others in her position have certainly been affected by this CHANGE, however she and her family own and live behind the tienda and I am sure pay no rent or mortgage. That is a downside of the equation, but keep in mind the HUGE upside of all the other regular folks in our neighborhood and how much they save monthly on staples, canned and bottled goods and much more, plus the HUGE VARIETY at Walmart that we can walk to in about 20 minutes. ¡Viva Walmart!   

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ibarra said:

Thank you Ferret!

Well no wonder people are upset.  You have to go to La Floresta before you can go to Walmart from the Libramiento.  Of course, there will be those that turn into where Domino's, Santander, Fester are located and then swing around to the Auto Zone entrance.   

As I said it´s "the end of the world/civilization" for some.

9 hours ago, barrbower said:

Andy's right.  Forget WalMart...it is symptom of the problem.  Traffic and the government's inability to help resolve the problem is the issue.  They had a chance here to make a simple correction and instead created a huge problem.  Forget trying to get into the large traffic generator that is WalMart and concentrate on the traffic itself which continues to get worse daily.  Now this area from West Ajijic into town is a mess.  The area from La Floresta to Riberas is a mess.  They spent a LOT of money on a ciclovia, which in and of itself is not a bad idea, and then a lot more on this major intersection.  In both cases designs were created with no local input or discussion or evaluation and all who live here will continue to pay the price for their recklessness.  Alan

And the howling continues.............I guess challenges aren´t much fun for some people.  The life of a queen bee, would be even more fun than driving the Carretera...correct???

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Ferret said:

Basically you are correct and it can be done that way.  I usually circle the glorietas to get headed back and you can NEVER make a left hand turn from a glorieta in Mexico.  In Ireland, you can never make a right hand turn from a round about.

1 hour ago, Ferret said:

LOL! Hey, I'm grateful I got my east/wests and left/rights correct. ;) Don't go throwing round things in there.

1 hour ago, Ferret said:

LOL! Hey, I'm grateful I got my east/wests and left/rights correct. ;) Don't go throwing round things in there.

I gave you ALL the benefits of doubt......😀

I just went this morning and they have all the lights working. Coming down the libremento get in the right lane and take the right exit, just before you exit onto the main road there is another light stopping traffic from blocking the entrance to the road on the right side of the auto parts store.

• Thanks 1