Chapala.com Webboard

Need fish pond advice please

I woke up to a near disaster this morning, with about 2/3 of the water in my fish pond gone.  I've tightened the filter and added a small amount of water back to the pond.   The fish (goldfish and 1 koi) seem active and ok so far.  How much water can I safely add back at one time?  What else do I need to do to get the conditions right for the fish and plants?  For the past year I've just cleaned the filter and sprayed in water once a week or so to replace whatever has evaporated.  The fish came with the house, so I really don't have a clue.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!  

First, all your questions can be answered watching YouTube videos. Chlorine in tap water is a fish killer but most likely dissipates in your aljibe. I'm still careful though and use a water conditioner that eliminates it in seconds. This can be bought in pet shop. How much to use needs to be determined by how many gallons are added to the pond. Fill buckets and add a little to each bucket. That's what I do for my aquariums. 20210309_131334.thumb.jpg.617fcd7f3689b9da7ec2a875a7456c76.jpg

I am not looking for an argument but gold fish and koi are cold water fish not needing the same care and attention as tropical aquarium fish. Since there is no chlorine in the local water and temperature is of little concern, I would fill the pond with water from the garden hose. The temperature change of the water would be way too slow to shock your fish.

You might wish to find the reason for the water loss before topping off the pond.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1