Chapala.com Webboard

ANOTHER SINOVAC UPDATE - MARCH 8TH

4 minutes ago, Carnivore said:

The Global Times is published by the Chinese Communist Party.  It is not in any way, shape or form, a newspaper. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Times

The Global Times is a daily tabloid newspaper under the auspices of the Chinese Communist Party's flagship People's Daily newspaper, commenting on international issues from a nationalistic perspective. The newspaper has been the source of various incidents, including fabrications and disinformation.

17 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

I don´t read or rely on the Chinese government for MY news, ever......and that´s not the topic here, vaccine is.

But I will take their vaccine as that is being used in many countries and you can monitor the Chinese news.

How many articles or products have you bought that was labelled "MADE IN CHINA" that would make you an authority on the vaccine as being not useful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, AlanMexicali said:

Mexico ordered and has started recieving 20,000,000 Sinovac and Sinopharm vaccines fron China and 22,000,000 Sputnik V from Russia and 5,400,000 Pfizer.

These are 2 jabs each, I think.

Confused between Sinovac and Sinopharm? What to know about their COVID-19 vaccines

https://news.abs-cbn.com/spotlight/12/30/20/confused-between-sinovac-and-sinopharm-what-to-know-about-their-covid-19-vaccines

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/china-coronavirus-singapore-data/2021/03/23/7a0582ca-8afc-11eb-a33e-da28941cb9ac_story.html

China’s Vaccine Diplomacy Stumbles As Clinical Trial Data Remains Absent

By Eva Dou and Shibani Mahtani

March 22, 2021 at 11:02 p.m. CST

Last month, a shipment of Sinovac coronavirus vaccine doses arrived without fanfare in Singapore from China.

Today, the vaccine sits unused in a storage facility. The wealthy city-state is moving ahead with Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna shots for its coronavirus immunization program, with officials saying Sinovac needs to provide more data before they will consider rolling out its doses.

The case highlights the limitations of Beijing’s vaccine diplomacy. China’s lack of transparency in its clinical trials has hurt public confidence, even as national leaders from Indonesia to Sierra Leone have gotten the shots to rally their populations to do the same.

China’s coronavirus vaccine makers Sinovac and Sinopharm were among the earliest in the world to begin clinical trials last year. It remains unclear why they still have not published the data from the studies, even after dozens of governments have greenlighted their vaccines for emergency use.

“It’s extremely unusual,” said Peter English, a British expert in communicable-disease control, of the widespread use of these vaccines before the publication of peer-reviewed data. “It leaves a lot of questions.”

There have been signs the Sinovac and Sinopharm vaccines are less effective than hoped, even as Beijing is pushing for foreigners to use them and enjoy streamlined access to resume travel to China. This week, Sinopharm’s distributor in the United Arab Emirates said a “very small number” of people are being invited to take a third dose of the vaccine after insufficient antibody response from the first two doses.

State-owned pharma giant Sinopharm has self-reported a 79 percent efficacy rate. Smaller rival Sinovac’s efficacy rate has varied in trials from 50.4 percent in Brazil — barely above the 50 percent threshold that governments find usable — to over 80 percent in Turkey.

The Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Sinopharm and Sinovac did not respond to requests for comment.

China’s coronavirus vaccines remain oversubscribed by developing countries, as wealthier nations hoard the most effective vaccines made by U.S. biotech company Moderna and U.S. pharmaceutical firm Pfizer with its German partner BioNTech.

China had a head start on coronavirus vaccinations. It’s now falling behind the West.

In Singapore’s case, the government has the luxury of a small population of 5.7 million people to immunize and more effective vaccines at hand.

Chong Ja Ian, an associate professor of political science at the National University of Singapore, said Singapore’s government did not turn down the Sinovac vaccine, which would be an affront to Beijing, but regulators also couldn’t approve its use on such limited data.

“Singapore has options, unlike some of the countries who have received Sinovac,” Chong said.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, slainte39 said:

I don´t read or rely on the Chinese government for MY news, ever......and that´s not the topic here, vaccine is.

But I will take their vaccine as that is being used in many countries and you can monitor the Chinese news.

Ahhhh....you have this backwards.  None of the news stories I have posted have been from China.  My first post in this thread was to point out that the OP's news source was NOT to be trusted as it is an arm of the Chinese Communist Party.  

I agree that the topic is the vaccine.  I have no idea if this vax is safe or effective, though I sincerely hope it is.  But the Chinese government's refusal to release clinical trial data is an issue that people should be aware of. 

• Like 3

Vaccines that have been peer reviewed are available in Mexico.  Some posters here have gotten Pfizer in nearby Guadalajara.  Other posters believe that Pfizer and other peer reviewed vaccines will be available soon via private clinics or doctors.  At yesterday's press conference AMLO announced the supply of AstraZeneca from the US will arrive Sunday or Monday.  

Everyone has to decide what is best for them.  And again, it is very possible that the Chinese vax are safe and effective.  But their refusal to allow peer reviews of their clinical data is rightfully being questioned in most countries.  

The OP was a rah-rah endorsement of Sinovac put out by the Chinese Government/Communist Party propaganda "news" media.  My intention was to provide information on Chinese vaccines from legitimate newspapers or sources.  

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

To be honest, I've read more bad things about AstraZeneca than either the Russian or Chinese vaccines. Have you read anything negative about them other than the lack of transparency in their testing data? They are in a lot of people's arms worldwide now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Ferret said:

Sigh. ANY vaccine is going to be better than nothing. Should those of us who have no other place to get vaccinated, do nothing or do something?

We took the Sinovac in Chapala last Sunday. Zero reactions to all good. We plan on some Europe travel this fall so we were very happy to take this. My daughter in Toronto is a doctor and she said that the Sinovac may in fact be the best choice against all the varients. Guess time will tell. !

• Like 3

France is working on a vaccine passport and the Russians and Chinese vaccines will not be accepted... so much for me  I will have to go in quarentine if I go back even if I received the 2 Sinovac shots... and so much for the chairman of Sinovac....

On 3/25/2021 at 7:30 AM, Ferret said:

To be honest, I've read more bad things about AstraZeneca than either the Russian or Chinese vaccines. Have you read anything negative about them other than the lack of transparency in their testing data? They are in a lot of people's arms worldwide now.

Problem is you have not read anything about the vaccine we are being offered here.  After much looking I found results for Sinovac. The first two studies consisted of 600 people. Pfizer had 40,000 in initial studies. Moderna had 30,000 people in initial study.  Unless a study is missing they experimented on the Brazil people. I hope they are just being tight with info but from what I can see I will wait.  I can't see study I assume it doesn't exist.  Your mileage  may vary. Your opinion may vary.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

How does Sinovac's 83% efficacy, from a 10.000 patient study out of Turkey work for people here in Mexico?

Realize, the supposed "50.38%" Efficacy report from Brazil is not valid. ... The Brazilian 'study' of Sinovac was so small that there were just 88 total vaccinated patients who were counted in the %Efficacy calculation and just 175 total unvaccinated (Control Group) patients with COVID for the Brazilian's %Efficacy report.

When a study has just 88 patients in the Treatment Group (vaccinated patients wtih COVID), that is pitifully small, and the conclusions are not valid ... meaning the Brazilians supposed "50.38%"  Sinovac efficacy should be ignored as too small a study to be meaningful.

In contrast, the bigger 10,000 patient Turkish study showed Sinovac 83.5% efficacy, and Sinovac was 100% effective in stopping severe illness & hospitalization. ... and there were no significant side effects.
https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-turkey-sinovac-int-idUSKBN2AV18P

Notice that 83.5% Sinovac efficacy is 10% smaller than Pfizer or Moderna,  but it is 10% larger than Oxford AstraZenica, and 30% larger than JnJ.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, Ferret said:

Considering the number of countries and people who have taken the Sinovac, don't you think anything bad would have been reported long before now?

It has been reported, numerous times on this board, and it is..........

Sinovac was developed and produced by the Chinese.

What else could you possibly want to know............No phobia like a China phobia.

47 minutes ago, Ferret said:

Considering the number of countries and people who have taken the Sinovac, don't you think anything bad would have been reported long before now?

If I am not mistaken, I think that Sinovac has been going mostly to the poor and also developing countries like México, Turkey, and Brazil to name a few.  Most of these countries are just happy to get a vaccine, any vaccine for their people.  Only time will tell how effective it turns out to be in the long run or what side effects it may have.  I just prefer to not be a guinea pig.  If only 48 people have died in the municipality of Chapala in the last year in a half since the virus has come out.  I take that as a very small chance of actually dying from it.  I'm seriously more worried about crossing Avenue Madero then dying from Covid.  I will gladly prefer someone who is sickly and very elderly to get in line for the vaccine if they feel they must.  I'll just sit on the sidelines and watch how all this plays out.

The latest results for the Brazilian "Phase III" trial results for Sinovac's "Coronavac" are in ... and the results reveal a poorly conducted study with only a tiny group of just " 85 COVID cases ... in the vaccine group"  and a trivial "168 COVID cases" in the placebo-Control group.

Who believes a study that has just 85 patients in the Treatment Group (vaccinated patients) and a paltry 168 patients in the Control group for the key %Efficacy report ? 

Seriously ... Why believe the NY Times and AP and other Big Media source talking heads who only repeat the HEADLINE of
"50.7% Low Efficacy for Chinese Sinovac " 

when  they don't even bother to read the study to find the key %Efficacy calculation-conclusion was based on just 88 TOTAL Vaccinated patients...  ?       =>  An invalid result, due to too small of a group of patients.

Notice that the big Sinovac study in Turkey shows 84% efficacy versus the tiny Brazilian study's "50.7%" .

Here's the actual research report that exposes the NY Times, AP et al's sloppy, lazy reporting 

https://static.poder360.com.br/2021/04/estudo-preliminar-coronavac-11.abr_.2021.pdf

You can take the Sinovac now, and have some measure of protection. When something else you deem better comes along you can take it at that time. 

Waiting, on the off chance that a country might not accept any one brand of vaccine,  just makes it harder for Mexico to approach heard immunity. 

France is now recommending a third dose of Pfizer & Moderna for people with "compromised" immune systems.  So Will some people need to prove they have received 3 doses to enter France?? Doubtful 

Just get vaccinated now to protect us all.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1