Chapala.com Webboard

Which route is better to Melaque

cedros

To go to San Patricio/Melaque from Jocotepec. Which route is better 80 or 54D. What are the pros and cons of each route? 

I go 80, It is a bit slower but with way less traffic and few semis. It is also more scenic, relaxing, and toll free. Google maps says either way are the same distance and the 80 route is 43 minutes longer, a small price to pay for a slower gas saving speed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

I go 80, It is a bit slower but with way less traffic and few semis. It is also more scenic, relaxing, and toll free. Google maps says either way are the same distance and the 80 route is 43 minutes longer, a small price to pay for a slower gas saving speed.

Thanks I will try 80 as I have been via 54D

When things are green 80 is some of the prettiest scenery in western Mexico.  Lots of blind curves and up and down so passing can be difficult.  If you are not in a hurry it's the way to do it.  80 takes you right to the edge of Melaque and very near Coastecomates and La Manzanilla.  Both worth checking out.  Alan

8 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

80 is very scenic.  Last time I went that way the pavement quality was pretty mixed.  About 30 minutes slower for me but save a bunch on tolls.

How bad is the pavement quality? Do you have to slow to a crawl or get new tires?

If you know anyone in the motorcycle club "Los Guerros", they all went down 80 to San Patricio a week ago Monday, for the week..  Talked to one, and he said the road was in good shape, and if you know cyclists, you know they don´t appreciate bad roads.

They hang out around the Iron Horse if you don´t know any personally, but believe me, they pay attention to road conditions..

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/18/2021 at 9:11 PM, AngusMactavish said:

Just got back and went the Colima route. Tolls were 420 MXN.

Returned on 80 and paid 96 MXN for the macrolibramento.

How was 80 ? Never driven it but want to try it out next week. 

BTW, every time I drive the toll road to the coast to I see newly built  very tall bridges off to the right in the mountains, anyone know what that road is ? They spent a LOT of money

14 minutes ago, ea93105 said:

How was 80 ?

It has a few stretches with patchwork but I prefer it over the pay road. The time it takes extra is worth it with the view, better restaurants, and cheaper gas. I would not go that route at night.

175371492_194586718969462_8800512226763253947_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ea93105 said:

How was 80 ? Never driven it but want to try it out next week. 

BTW, every time I drive the toll road to the coast to I see newly built  very tall bridges off to the right in the mountains, anyone know what that road is ? They spent a LOT of money

That is supposed to four lane that one part of the toll road that is still two lanes and is routinely brought to a near standstill by the trucks.  Sure seems to be taking a long time to finish, though.

I drove both routes a few weeks ago. Both are fine . 80 is faster 54 is cheaper. Amazing tall bridges to the right of 80 (going down). When they open that route will be even faster.  

10 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

You've got them reversed.  54 is the toll road, 80 is the free road.  54 is faster.

80 is very scenic.  My brother really enjoyed it when we took that route home.

No he doesn´t ...........

Both 54 and 80 are free roads and 80 is faster. done them both a 100 times.

54D is a toll road and is faster and has only been there for the last 20 years or so.  54 is still there in some fashion or the other.

13 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

You've got them reversed.  54 is the toll road, 80 is the free road.  54 is faster.

80 is very scenic.  My brother really enjoyed it when we took that route home.

It could well be backwards but you know what I mean. It is just numbers.

The old free road 54 is your worst option of the three.  54 D is the toll road and it was explained to me that the road portions with the new bridges will be all one way...I think heading down to the coast...and the current 54 D will be one way coming back.  That will mean that the current two lane portions will both be going the same direction heading back north.  Should speed things up quite a bit.  Probably will be some pretty amazing scenery from some of those bridges.  Also will probably increase the cost of tolls for all of 54D.

Alan

• Like 1

15 hours ago, slainte39 said:

No he doesn´t ...........

Both 54 and 80 are free roads and 80 is faster. done them both a 100 times.

54D is a toll road and is faster and has only been there for the last 20 years or so.  54 is still there in some fashion or the other.

I think you missed he was obviously referring to 54D.  I have ridden 54 libre, it could never be confused as being fast though it was fantastic for motorcycle riding and really scenic.  I definitely recommend the part south of Ciudad Guzman for spectacular scenery and you actually can drive under one of those really big bridges.

Were you referring to 54D or free 54, Cedros?

For fuel consumption it is almost a wash, 80, vs. 54D because the former is shorter but more variable in speed.