Chapala.com Webboard

Best place for Honda CRV oil change?

4 hours ago, Floradude said:

Honda dealer in Guadalajara. I prefer the one on Vallarta because it is close to Costco and Galeria Mall.

I have been taking my CRV's there every six months since 2004.  

I agree about taking it to the dealer. However the dealer recommends every 10k km or 1 year which ever comes first. I suppose the age of the vehicle might play into it also..

I did take it to the dealer in Guad twice a year until the warranty expired. I put so little miles on it I just want to change the oil on a yearly basis. Is there no garage competent enough lakeside to change the oil even if  I have to supply it? If the oil is readily available at Autozone, then surely some professional could figure out a way to get it done.

59 minutes ago, econ man said:

I did take it to the dealer in Guad until the warranty expired. I put so little miles on it I just want to change the oil on a yearly basis. Is there no garage competent enough lakeside to change the oil even if  I have to supply it? If the oil is readily available at Autozone, then surely some professional could figure out a way to get it done.

Once per year is quite sufficient.  We do not have the harsh weather conditions that require it more frequently.

• Like 1

Just go to Autozone or Orma and ask what kind of oil is recommended by the manufacturer if you don't have the owner's manual.  Buy a name brand synthetic oil and a good oil filter (not Fram) and then go to any mechanic in town.  They might charge you a couple hundred pesos for labor.  You can watch then do it.  Check the level on your dipstick when you get home as it might drop a little.  They all seem to return any unused oil so you can use that to top off if you need to.  I've used Escalera in Riberas near the Food Lake Container place a couple of times and they did a fine job.  You only need to do it once a year.  Alan

• Like 1

Like I said, just buy good synthetic oil of the correct viscosity and the appropriate filter. You don't have to use a filter that says "for synthetic oil."  Those filters are better only at trapping smaller particles for higher miles between changes.  Some companies don't even have a synthetic filter available for all cars.  If you change oil once a year, I doubt you would ever go over 10,000 miles (16,000 km) on an oil change.  Just buy a good brand oil and filter but don't use Fram filters...they are the worst on the market.  If you doubt anything said here, look on the internet to confirm.  Alan

Read the manual.  Short trips from Ajijic to walmart for example are considered bad and require additional services.  After I retired I worked as a shuttle driver at a car dealership.  Leaned all kinds of stuff.  If you mostly have these short trips consider a more aggressive schedule especially if you use standard oil rather than a synthetic.

14 hours ago, barrbower said:

Just go to Autozone or Orma and ask what kind of oil is recommended by the manufacturer if you don't have the owner's manual.  Buy a name brand synthetic oil and a good oil filter (not Fram) and then go to any mechanic in town.  They might charge you a couple hundred pesos for labor.  You can watch then do it.  Check the level on your dipstick when you get home as it might drop a little.  They all seem to return any unused oil so you can use that to top off if you need to. You only need to do it once a year.  Alan

Indeed!