Chapala.com Webboard

Do you know of someone who can build a steam room?

I didn't find anything locally but here are two links that sell and install in Guadalajara. I'm sure they would install lakeside. The first link has some amazing set ups.

https://www.zenth.com.mx/un-portfolio/banos-de-vapor-y-sauna-steamist/

https://www.vaporysaunaevasa.com/#productos

edited to add Steamist U.S. website ... https://steamist.com/

I am a big fan of steam bathes. They are so good for your health. I used to do intense cardio with lots of sweat (sorry ladies) and then a long steam. Your body gets so used to eliminating toxins through your skin that it put mininum load on your kidneys and liver. Your sweat glands are apparently like muscles, the more you work them, the stronger they get.

I was looking at steam showers to replace an ancient hot tub in Puerto Vallarta. What happened was the Chinese entered the market in a big way, they excel at low price fiberglass. But the boilers were 220 volt, giving the visual, but you really need 240 volt to get max volume. The market is luxury condos/apartments, as long as a potential buyer could see " steam shower", check, that was all that mattered.

Locally, there is weak steam bath at Hotel Monte Carlo (never been) and a group who builds spiritual steam and mud baths. An old friend, Melanie, tried to talk me into going, but sitting around with a bunch of naked, muddy, chanting people would be more traumatic than spiritual, for me, anyways.

I have looked at many designs which use wood fire heated rocks. But our old place the neighbors would strenously object, our new place, no room.

Try a google search. Like I said, you need an electrician as well as a plumber/installer. The location of your electric steam shower might not be viable. The outdoor steam baths are pretty basic and ugly. If you are looking for outdoors design, Northern Europe is the place for beautiful and functional examples (photographs ). Saw an interesting design there for a wood heated hot tub. The top of the wood furnace was a steel wok, you could cook a stir fry while waiting for the water to heat up!

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...

Thank you for your ideas. I have contacted two contractors, but they have shown no interest in pursuing the project. I don’t wish to order a steam room kit online as it very well could disappoint.  If any architects or designers on the web know of someone who can vapor seal my shower and install the steam generator, I am grateful.

I very recently visited for the first time, a small tennis and swim club in GDL that was built from scratch last year by a local family. They included a large steam room as part of the facilities. This is not a posh facility and I am fairly certain they spent their money very carefully in constructing it. Not making any promises, but I will likely be joining the club for at least a month, and if you like I can try to get the contact info for whoever built the steam room. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...