Chapala.com Webboard

ILOX news!! (good news)

lcscats

OK looked at the ILOX website and many of us have been upgraded speed wise.  Results using OOKLA speed test.

I had the 300 down plan and now it says I should get 350. I get 380 down and 80 up.  

If you pay automatically with a bankcard you get an upgrade. the 350 plan goes to 400.  Check the website for more info.

Also noticed more stability and when you run speed test it use to work its way up to maximum speed. Now it goes to 500 for a second and slows down to contracted speed.

Last and great. Check your ILOX phone. Mine works perfectly now.  No garbled or dropped calls.

If you have over 100 speed don't use port 4 on the ILOX four port modem. It is limited to 100.  I believe one of the two ports on the two port modem is limitied also. I don't know which one. Post here if you know which port is limited to 100.

• Thanks 1

The iLox modems have the slow port always as the highest number: so 4 on the 4 port, 2 on the 2 port. This is a shortcoming, as I see it, because the manufacturer saves maybe a couple of pennies and it is to our detriment (many people use 4 ports and more these days), and more so because it is not mentioned in the manuals. Almost as bad are the flimsy reprinted basic spec "manuals" provided by iLox.

Has the IPTV buffering problem with Ilox improved?  My Ilox phone calls were still cutting off after about 10 min as late as last week... Have they been improving their network? 

10 hours ago, tkessler said:

Has the IPTV buffering problem with Ilox improved?  My Ilox phone calls were still cutting off after about 10 min as late as last week... Have they been improving their network? 

I don't know about IPTV as I use Clear Choice and it works fine.  My phone calls have been much much better in the last few weeks. I can actually use it.  I don't talk on the phone for ten minutes so I can't comment on that.  I think they have done something. You can see it when you run speedtest. It use to go up and slowly go up to your contracted speed. It now goes up to 500 and cranks back to contracted speed. Maybe speedtest changed?  I don't know.

10 hours ago, tkessler said:

We had Ilox last year and the phone service was like not having a phone at all.  Imagine waiting for a call back from your attending physician for your dieing spouse and they can't connect with you.... talk about feeling powerless.  I switched back to Telmex and the problem isn't any better.  I request my old landline back and they said that they don't do that any more and attached it to my computer.  Same as Ilox, phone doesn't ring , doesn't give number called ,etc.  Can't call 71 for electrical outage reporting or 911...

1 hour ago, cafemediterraneo said:

We had Ilox last year and the phone service was like not having a phone at all.  Imagine waiting for a call back from your attending physician for your dieing spouse and they can't connect with you.... talk about feeling powerless.  I switched back to Telmex and the problem isn't any better.  I request my old landline back and they said that they don't do that any more and attached it to my computer.  Same as Ilox, phone doesn't ring , doesn't give number called ,etc.  Can't call 71 for electrical outage reporting or 911...

Thanks for posting that. I had never given the Ilox number out, but tried calling it today due to your comment. Mine doesn't ring either. 

My download, according to Speedtest, has dropped from around 65 to around 30 - I'm pay for up to 100 -  but my  upload remains at its usual around 10.  I have to say that my phone service seems to have improved but there was nowhere left for it to go but up!

19 hours ago, AndyPanda said:

The iLox modems have the slow port always as the highest number: so 4 on the 4 port, 2 on the 2 port. This is a shortcoming, as I see it, because the manufacturer saves maybe a couple of pennies and it is to our detriment (many people use 4 ports and more these days), and more so because it is not mentioned in the manuals. Almost as bad are the flimsy reprinted basic spec "manuals" provided by iLox.

Yeah, it's pretty odd to be offering speeds over 100Mbps and not have all 1000Mbps ports.  I bought this to take care of the problem:  5 port unmanaged switch

6 hours ago, bournemouth said:

My download, according to Speedtest, has dropped from around 65 to around 30 - I'm pay for up to 100 -  but my  upload remains at its usual around 10.  I have to say that my phone service seems to have improved but there was nowhere left for it to go but up!

http://www.ilox.mx/?lang=en    Site will be in english.  Look to contact and fill out form.   Always works for me.  Be nice as they cancel your service if you are mean and no I am not kidding.  Don't bother to go to office as they are hopeless.

On 3/1/2021 at 4:44 PM, lcscats said:

http://www.ilox.mx/?lang=en    Site will be in english.  Look to contact and fill out form.   Always works for me.  Be nice as they cancel your service if you are mean and no I am not kidding.  Don't bother to go to office as they are hopeless.

I wrote to them, nicely, and was told in their reply that my service is functioning perfectly.  Not the first time I have received such a reply!

On 3/1/2021 at 10:30 AM, bournemouth said:

Try using other speed test sites like fast.com and nperf.com. I just did one and nperf was all over the place while fast.com and speedtest.net were close to each other.

The real measure of speed is when you need to download, upload or stream. Those are real world tests. I don't stream much but I did watch the Super Bowl on a Denver stream which never buffered. I have seen torrent download speeds approaching 35mb/second and over 4mb/second upload with ILOX. With that one can download an HD TV show in under a minute.

I have the ILOX 300mb package and can concur it is now faster and more stable. I did give up the ILOX phone months ago for all the reasons that have been posted, even though ILOX said everything looks fine when all my calls were cut off.

Embrace the good and work around the bad.

This is something else to consider... which browser you're using for streaming. I have both Telmex and iLox but have a lot more problems streaming with Firefox than with either Edge or Brave. In normal times, there is more than enough to watch with downloaded torrents but I've been streaming on usatvgo.tv to fill in gaps. Also found that the best vpn FOR ME is Nordvpn and that was determined after trying Expressvpn and another free one. My point being that there are more variables than just iLox or Telmex. I can hardly wait for Discovery Plus to be available in Canada so I can sign up with my Canadian credit card.

17 hours ago, lcscats said:

Just had a 45 minute phone call using my ILOX phone line to call a cell phone at the coast with no problems.  I have never been able to use my ILOX phone line before.

Something has changed at least for me.

Just made another long call with same good results.

FYI Yes I have noticed the different results with the various internet test programs.

On 2/28/2021 at 7:56 PM, dichosalocura said:

Does anybody know when iLox will make it to Chapala Centro?

Probably not for a while.  They have stopped in Riberas. I have asked and get no answer.  Sorry I don't have a better answer. Telmex has slowed down expansion of its fiber network also.  I would bet when one starts up again the other will react to it but I don't know.

Anybody know more???

14 hours ago, John Shrall said:

Try using other speed test sites like fast.com and nperf.com. I just did one and nperf was all over the place while fast.com and speedtest.net were close to each other.

The real measure of speed is when you need to download, upload or stream. Those are real world tests. I don't stream much but I did watch the Super Bowl on a Denver stream which never buffered. I have seen torrent download speeds approaching 35mb/second and over 4mb/second upload with ILOX. With that one can download an HD TV show in under a minute.

I have the ILOX 300mb package and can concur it is now faster and more stable. I did give up the ILOX phone months ago for all the reasons that have been posted, even though ILOX said everything looks fine when all my calls were cut off.

Embrace the good and work around the bad.

I tested with three different sites and the results were the same for all.    I have retested since my original post and nothing changes.

• 3 months later...
On 2/28/2021 at 7:56 PM, dichosalocura said:

Does anybody know when iLox will make it to Chapala Centro?

They installed Ilox cable on my street, Acapulco, today. Technically, this is Centro but it`s 6 blocks away from the plaza.