Chapala.com Webboard

Some Shaw channels not working

cedros

On 3/4/2021 at 8:46 AM, mexbound said:

My channels are not back up. Still down. Been a week. 

Cedros, did Mario ever come out to check your equipment or do an alignment?

Tony and Ivan from Ajijic Electronics came out and checked my signal carefully. I get 3 channels. My dish is quite small. My landlord won't let me have a larger dish installed. Tony says I could get all my channels back with a larger dish.

You can tell if it is a sun fade or not. When you lose the channel, go to the menu selection where you can see the signal strength bars, like when you are tuning your dish for signal strength. You will notice the signal strength start to drop and keep dropping and then start to gain again. I was watching CNN today around 1:30 and the channel dropped out. I went to the menu item I mentioned and my signal strength was 35. I continued watching and the strength kept increasing over a period of about 10 minutes. The channel came back on when the signal strength got to 60. The signal eventually recovered back to 78.  Expect to see this issue in the afternoon for the next week or two. The problem that started this thread is NOT sun fade. That is a different Shaw issue.

On 3/4/2021 at 12:32 PM, mexbound said:

On the channels I do receive, I get a signal strength of between 74 and 80. On the channels that stopped working last week I get 0. This is with a 75E dish.  I wonder what Shaw did with these missing channels. Going from a watchable channel last week to a signal strength of 0 this week is weird.  I would have been less concerned if I was getting a "weak" signal strength of 40 - 60 where a tweek of the dish could fix it. I'm concerned if I have my dish re-aligned that my currently good signal strength channels would drop to a lower signal strength and start pixelating. Might just forget about those missing channels and keep my dish as-is.

Tony & Ivan from Ajijic Electronics think Shaw rotated their satellitte a bit.

On 2/28/2021 at 7:08 PM, AndyPanda said:

Those channels do not show as available when not: they show as having lost the signal. I spent a good deal of time with their tech support about this, and it all came down to bad weather and misaligned dishes as far as they are concerned. I could not, of course, tell them we are in Mexico where the sun was shining and the dish had not moved. So at the moment there is no answer. Even more curious: why do some people have certain channels and others do not, and vice versa?

In my on screen guide they show as available but they aren't.

On 3/1/2021 at 7:12 AM, mexbound said:

I just checked my TCM channel (Turner Classic Movies) Channel 491 and I am not receiving a signal. So that channel is also missing for me. So the people that are missing these channels lakeside, do you have a small satellite dish? The people that ARE receiving the "lost" channels (like cedros neighbor) do they have a large dish or two dishes? Here lakeside maybe it is the size of the dish that matters?

My neighbour that lost TCM has a large dish.

On 3/1/2021 at 7:12 AM, mexbound said:

I just checked my TCM channel (Turner Classic Movies) Channel 491 and I am not receiving a signal. So that channel is also missing for me. So the people that are missing these channels lakeside, do you have a small satellite dish? The people that ARE receiving the "lost" channels (like cedros neighbor) do they have a large dish or two dishes? Here lakeside maybe it is the size of the dish that matters?

My neighbour who has a large dish lost TCM but I suspect that if he had Ajijic Electronic out to realign his dish he would get TCM back.

TCM is viewable up North and is being transmitted on either Anik F1R or Anik F-2, and not on G1 which is only viewable up North.

How do I know? I'm up North and I just fired up an old system with an Old LNB pointed only at AniKF-1R and Anik-F2 And not at Anik-G1 and I got TCM on channel 491.

Note: Those of you who have recently purchased a Shaw Direct system could have the new channel lineup, where the channel numbers have been changed. Us old-timers where given the option of either keeping the original channel numbers given us by Star Choice or upgrading to the new numbering system. Many if not most of us old-timers opted to keep the old channel numbers 

6 hours ago, cedros said:

Tony and Ivan from Ajijic Electronics came out and checked my signal carefully. I get 3 channels. My dish is quite small. My landlord won't let me have a larger dish installed. Tony says I could get all my channels back with a larger dish.

Correct!!!

I know others say it´s not the dish size but I have it on good authority that it is. I have a large dish and NO problem.  Of course it has to be adjusted properly for direction.

8 hours ago, cedros said:

In my on screen guide they show as available but they aren't.

You are quite wrong here. If a channel is greyed out, it is not available to you, either because you haven't subscribed or because it's on a dish we don't get.

If you are not getting a channel that is not greyed out, then it is available but is not strong enough, and you will get a "lost signal" message, make no mistake.

Dish size is only partly the issue. I reiterate: everyone was doing well enough before with the standard elliptical Shaw dishes. The bigger the dish, the better the signal, and that has always been true. But with this new twist, people who had a small dish are no longer doing fine... and it has been three weeks with no word from Shaw by way of explanation, which suggests this is the way it's going to be now.

7 hours ago, AndyPanda said:

You are quite wrong here. If a channel is greyed out, it is not available to you, either because you haven't subscribed or because it's on a dish we don't get.

If you are not getting a channel that is not greyed out, then it is available but is not strong enough, and you will get a "lost signal" message, make no mistake.

Dish size is only partly the issue. I reiterate: everyone was doing well enough before with the standard elliptical Shaw dishes. The bigger the dish, the better the signal, and that has always been true. But with this new twist, people who had a small dish are no longer doing fine... and it has been three weeks with no word from Shaw by way of explanation, which suggests this is the way it's going to be now.

You obviously have not seen my screen.

We get the same message...starting religiously at 8:01 pm every night and it lasts till somewhere around 11 pm. I can be watching a show  from 7-8, continue with the beginning of a show on those particular channels that start to broadcast at 8 pm then POOF! at 8:01 we get the message above. (NBC is our nemesis, on both feeds we receive.) I reached our to our contact in Alberta who says there's not much she can do; Shaw will want to send a tech out to check the system and we all know that's not possible.

Yes we pay $94cdn/month just for Oilers hockey on 303 and oldies music[908]. Last 3 games were unwatchable with massive pixelation. The guys from Ajijic Electronics came yesterday,moved the 75E dish a bit ,tweaked the receiver to 77 from 60 and voila no more pixelation for $700p charge.

I no longer have Shaw but was happy when I did. There's been a lot of big wind lately and that will move your dish out of alignment. Also any big trees branches or boughs moving in front of the dish will also cause pixelation as well. Ajijic Electronics are THE BEST in both installation and service imho.

2 hours ago, happyjillin said:

Yes we pay $94cdn/month just for Oilers hockey on 303 and oldies music[908]. Last 3 games were unwatchable with massive pixelation. The guys from Ajijic Electronics came yesterday,moved the 75E dish a bit ,tweaked the receiver to 77 from 60 and voila no more pixelation for $700p charge.

Gosh, Pedro, the 75E dish OK, but for a better signal and less signal loss when it is raining, it was recommended by local satellite dealers, that one gets a larger satellite dish. mine is 1.2 meters in diameter, which I understand is the recommended size for lakeside for Shaw Direct.

• Sad 2

My tech came he said that he can't fix the problem of loosing my French Mtl channels, I have many English one but not the one I like.  We install CanadaVPN, I can see 702 TVA but not Radio Canada, they say not in the country I am.  Is there any other solution you can suggest?

Thanks for you help.  I am in Colima.