Chapala.com Webboard

Matching tiles

Curmudgeon

I tried to get some more tiles to match some ones I ordered from the Telavera store in San Antonio even giving them an existing tile to match , they weren't even close on the second batch.  Always get more than you need for a project is the lesson I learned

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dichosalocura said:

Wasn't there a place in Joco that sold older recycled tiles where you could pick out a few that matched instead of having to buy an entire box?

Isn't that place in San Juan Cosala?  I'd like to also check and see if they have some that would match some of my old ones.  Can't remember where it is at but I think someone has posted here about it in the distant past.

In my experience, most tile stores have individual tiles from broken boxes that you can purchase. Sometimes you have to paw through piles of tiles to find your match.

And if you can't find a match, I'd do something interestingly artistic with other tiles to fill in the space before I'd consider having to retile the whole room.

Great idea mudgirl! Even if you have the original lot # of the tiles, your installed tiles will have changed colour slightly from both wear and cleaning over the years. Removing a few more tiles (to make a line or a square etc.) can allow you to make an accent on the floor in a different but complimentary colour. Or a number of complimentary tiles done mosaic style with some of the older tiles broken into pieces as well for uniformity but randomly scattered throughout the entire floor.

• Like 1

Well it was posted in 2017, no idea if it is still there.  Thanks to Zipit for the heads up.

San Juan Cosala at the ironworker/scrap dealer acros the carretera from Bodega Del Arte.

About 200 yards west of Farmacia Guadalajara on the mountain side. Photo below.

They were tile dealers for many years, and still have all of the old stock stashed in a trailer.

Also, they have buckets/boxes/bins of recycled tile laying all over. I found some pieces of

of a hideous green tile, must have been from the '70's, that matched exactly the tile in our shower.

Bodega Del Arte and the scrap dealer are owned by the same people. 

SANJUAN_CHATARRA.jpg

Also from that 2017 thread, supposedly a store on the way out of Jocotepec:

There is a tile store in Jocotopec, On the way out of town, just before you get to hiway 15, 10 years ago I found some 100 year old tile to match the ones in my antique casa...

If anyone checks either or both out would you please let us know what you found?

1 hour ago, Dostortas said:

I went to the factory in Chapala, it’s about a block from Soriana, don’t recall exact location.  Their number 333-189-3300.  They do beautiful hand painted custom design.  They matched my tiles that are 50 plus years old perfectly.  

9B140872-D96D-4D26-87CF-24277F9B18CC.jpeg

827B0D50-57E1-4B68-BD6E-CE5DF76819E3.jpeg

I went there and they couldn't match mine.  Interesting because yours is more complex.  But on mine, the design seems to sit on top of the tile and the base surface and has some depth.  Maybe that was the problem

The tile store next to the Coca Cola plant has several back rooms with open boxes.  They also have several showrooms, stores in Telaquepaque.  The store also has does the fellow in the tile store also down near Paninos has a backroom, single sets of tiles and a factory in Telaquepaque.  The SanJuan Cosala junky antiquey store on the lake side just west of the Farmacia has an old kitchen room with open stacks of tiles.  Then in Jocotepec just as you get into town on the lake side there is a tile yard which also has unusual tiles and a source for older tiles.  

The blue and yellow tiles look like the beautiful old tiles in LaCocina women's bathroom.  

• Like 1

The problem with old tiles is that the enamel had led and now everything is lead free. The bathrooms in my house are all old tiles and when I remodelled I gave up being able to match them and  mixed the new and the old.. The new tiles have more vivid colors not because they are new but because they are led free..

3 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

I went there and they couldn't match mine.  Interesting because yours is more complex.  But on mine, the design seems to sit on top of the tile and the base surface and has some depth.  Maybe that was the problem

Yes, I think maybe so as I had some old tiles in our casita with raised bumps, they couldn’t replicate them.  The blue and yellow tiles they made for me were not as thick as the original ones but my tile guy compensated for that when he installed them.  

Maincoon did you take your tiles to Mexico arte  or something like that n Riberas. They used to have the tiles you are talking about , Their tiles are made in Dolores Hidalgo and they have made tiles for me in the exact color I wanted which was differnt from the one they had in stock.

Just now, bmh said:

Maincoon did you take your tiles to Mexico arte  or something like that n Riberas. They used to have the tiles you are talking about , Their tiles are made in Dolores Hidalgo and they have made tiles for me in the exact color I wanted which was differnt from the one they had in stock.

Yes.  Went to all of the local tile places.  One suggested I take it to Hildalgo.  None could do anything other than flat painted and glazed, very poor match.  We tried that already.

Interesting I remember the tiles you are talking about, they made them  20 years ago and the place that used to be by Telmex had them. I was fixing up the house then and I remember them.. They also had them in a store on Ninoes Heroes in Guadaljara.. They came from Dolores Hidalgo  .. I guess they all discontinued them. 

You can have any talavera tile duplicated in Dolores Hidalgo. Unfortunately the current environment with the pandemic makes it more difficult. Those tiles are not painted with a brush but with a bulb filled with paint. Think of a baster for a turkey to get the idea but it's a hollow bulb that is squeezed to draw the paint in through the smaller hole in the bottom and then lightly squeezed to dispense it. It is time consuming work and fascinating to watch a room full of artisans plying their trade. I got a hand cramp just watching them manipulate that bulb... one bulb, one colour. Absolutely fascinating.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Ferret said:

You can have any talavera tile duplicated in Dolores Hidalgo. Unfortunately the current environment with the pandemic makes it more difficult. Those tiles are not painted with a brush but with a bulb filled with paint. Think of a baster for a turkey to get the idea but it's a hollow bulb that is squeezed to draw the paint in through the smaller hole in the bottom and then lightly squeezed to dispense it. It is time consuming work and fascinating to watch a room full of artisans plying their trade. I got a hand cramp just watching them manipulate that bulb... one bulb, one colour. Absolutely fascinating.

Wow, thank you for that enlightening information!  May be able to go over there later in the Spring.  How would I start looking for the right shops to go to?

Ask for the location of the largest Fabrica de Talavera. This is the largest that we found... huge warehouse and the whole second floor was the artisan's workshop. Have patience since the website is a little slow to open...

https://talaveracortes.com.mx/

Directions: https://www.google.com.mx/search?source=hp&ei=j8cxYN6qGoqUtQXA0Z3wCw&iflsig=AINFCbYAAAAAYDHVn2AP4rbA3-1YH_ozWf3dKSGhQmWy&q=mas grande fabrica de talavera en dolores hidalgo guanajuato&oq=mas+grande+fabrica+de+Talavera+en+Dolores+Hidalgo+Guan&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAEYADIICCEQFhAdEB46AggAOgIILjoICC4QxwEQowI6CwguEMcBEKMCEJMCOggILhDHARCvAToGCAAQFhAeOgUIIRCgAToECCEQFToHCCEQChCgAToFCCEQkgNQ2hxY_P8BYIilAmgCcAB4AIABpwKIAYg7kgEGMC41NS4xmAEAoAEBqgEHZ3dzLXdpeg&sclient=gws-wiz&tbs=lf:1,lf_ui:10&tbm=lcl&rflfq=1&num=10&rldimm=11917763776390742082&lqi=CjxtYXMgZ3JhbmRlIGZhYnJpY2EgZGUgdGFsYXZlcmEgZW4gZG9sb3JlcyBoaWRhbGdvIGd1YW5hanVhdG8iA6gBAUiigpr-5oCAgAhaYAoOZ3JhbmRlIGZhYnJpY2EQABABGAEYAhgDGAUYBhgHIjhncmFuZGUgZmFicmljYSBkZSB0YWxhdmVyYSBlbiBkb2xvcmVzIGhpZGFsZ28gZ3VhbmFqdWF0byoECAMQAZIBDG1hbnVmYWN0dXJlcqoBFhABKhIiDmdyYW5kZSBmYWJyaWNhKA4&ved=2ahUKEwiggsOs-fnuAhVHhq0KHSumBCoQvS4wAHoECAIQLw&rlst=f#rlfi=hd:;si:11917763776390742082,l,CjxtYXMgZ3JhbmRlIGZhYnJpY2EgZGUgdGFsYXZlcmEgZW4gZG9sb3JlcyBoaWRhbGdvIGd1YW5hanVhdG8iA6gBAUiigpr-5oCAgAhaYAoOZ3JhbmRlIGZhYnJpY2EQABABGAEYAhgDGAUYBhgHIjhncmFuZGUgZmFicmljYSBkZSB0YWxhdmVyYSBlbiBkb2xvcmVzIGhpZGFsZ28gZ3VhbmFqdWF0byoECAMQAZIBDG1hbnVmYWN0dXJlcqoBFhABKhIiDmdyYW5kZSBmYWJyaWNhKA4;mv:[[21.1935818,-100.88655109999999],[21.1242418,-100.95709959999999]];tbs:lrf:!1m5!1u2!3m2!2m1!2e8!4e2!1m4!1u3!2m2!3m1!1e1!1m4!1u2!2m2!2m1!1e1!2m1!1e2!2m1!1e3,lf:1,lf_ui:10

edited to add: sitting here laughing because things are sooooo much easier in the world of the internet. We drove around forever asking questions...

• Like 1