Chapala.com Webboard

REGARDING THE BIG FREEZE, BLACK OUTS, ETC.

ezpz

I tried to reply to the pertinent thread but once I wrote out my post, I could not access the "submit" button.  Am I banned or what?  So I am trying again.   Replying to Mainecoons about the frozen windmills:

This is no time to be even subtly bashing Clean Energy.  The reason that the windmills froze over in Texas is that they were not winterized as they are in normally cold climates.  With global warming changes, people have to become more adaptable to recurrent extreme and unprecedented weather conditions which are not going to go away before they wreak havoc.

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/02/16/texas-wind-turbines-frozen/

Below is a temperature variance map from January which shows the cause of the polar vortex splitting and moving abnormally south into the USA.  This is caused by abnormal heat in the arctic region.  As Texas freezes, remember that there have been severe wildfires in Siberia and Scandinavia above the arctic circle.  Glaciers in the Himalayas have melted causing huge damage to a dam which resulted in widespread flooding in populated areas.  Chunks of Antarctica are breaking off into the sea.  And more...

-00.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

The Texas power grid was mostly designed for hot weather which drives usage in the summer.  They were woefully unprepared for extreme cold.  The wind turbines not being winterized was a mistake which they probably won't make again.  The turbines that did continue to operate still provided their normal percentage of power to the grid but could offer nothing extra once the gas and coal fired plants went off-line for the same extreme cold conditions.  Try to imagine what wind turbines in Denmark or Norway would be facing if their summer temps went to 110 F and stayed there for three months.  I'm betting they'd have some heat related issues due to unusual demands.  As weather extremes worsen around the world, money needs to be spent for worse case scenarios.  Pay me now or pay me later...Alan

• Like 4

I thought I understood Global Warming. I thought it meant only that the earth was getting warmer and that high temperatures were going to be slightly higher each year on average. Boy, was I surprised to learn it also meant extra cold weather like much of the US and especially in the Texas area. Gosh I was so wrong.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, johanson said:

I thought I understood Global Warming. I thought it meant only that the earth was getting warmer and that high temperatures were going to be slightly higher each year on average. Boy, was I surprised to learn it also meant extra cold weather like much of the US and especially in the Texas area. Gosh I was so wrong.

This is exactly why Climate Change is a more descriptive term.

Interesting, the cold in Texas. Although in several places new low temps were set for a particular day of the week, Texas has had several other days with lower temps, mostly cold records being set in the late 1800s or early 1900s. This is certainly not the coldest Texas has been over the last 100+ years records have been kept. The interesting fact is that most people living in Texas now were not living there back when Texas had a lot of really cold winters. Therein is a big difference. The same applies to the Texas Heat Records. Is Texas colder this year than last year? Yep. Is Texas getting colder each year and hotter each year? Nope ! Does the Climate in Texas change from year to year? Yep ! Has been that way since records have been kept, and even before.

15 hours ago, barrbower said:

The Texas power grid was mostly designed for hot weather which drives usage in the summer.  They were woefully unprepared for extreme cold.  The wind turbines not being winterized was a mistake which they probably won't make again.  The turbines that did continue to operate still provided their normal percentage of power to the grid but could offer nothing extra once the gas and coal fired plants went off-line for the same extreme cold conditions.  

What you stated is true.  However the reason Texas is in such a bad state (pun intended) is because they are the only state that has a stand-alone grid.  They did this to avoid Federal regulation.  Federal regs would have required a shared grid system, used in every other state, so that states can help their neighbors during times of blackouts in one state or area.  

But Texas did not want to share.  Texas felt is was better/smarter than their neighbors, that their stand-alone grid would be just fine for Texas, and screw their neighbors who might want some help in times of crisis.

Instead, it's Texas who needs help from their neighbors, but they can't get it because they didn't want to share with their neighbors and designed a stand alone system.  Funny how things turn out.  

https://www.statesman.com/story/news/2021/02/16/texas-power-grid-why-state-has-its-own-operated-ercot/6765007002/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1