Chapala.com Webboard

After being fully vaccinated, then what?

AlanMexicali

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/02/10/health/covid-vaccinated-quarantine-cdc-guidance/index.html

"People who have been fully vaccinated against coronavirus -- right now that means with two doses of either the Pfizer/BioNTech or Moderna vaccine -- can skip quarantine if they are exposed to someone infected with the virus, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Wednesday.

That doesn't mean they should stop taking precautions, the CDC noted in updated guidance. It's just not necessary for them to quarantine.

"Fully vaccinated persons who meet criteria will no longer be required to quarantine following an exposure to someone with COVID-19," the CDC said inupdates to its web page with guidance on vaccination.

"Vaccinated persons with an exposure to someone with suspected or confirmed COVID-19 are not required to quarantine if they meet all of the following criteria," the CDC added.

The criteria: They must be fully vaccinated -- having had both shots with at least two weeks having passed since the second shot. That's because it takes two weeks to build full immunity after the second dose of vaccine.

But the CDC says it's not known how long protection lasts, so people who had their last shot three months ago or more should still quarantine if they are exposed. They also should quarantine if they show symptoms, the CDC said.

"This recommendation to waive quarantine for people with vaccine-derived immunity aligns with quarantine recommendations for those with natural immunity, which eases implementation," the CDC said. The agency will update guidance as more is learned.

People who have been vaccinated should still watch for symptoms for 14 days after they have been exposed to someone who is infected, the CDC said.

And everyone, vaccinated or not, needs to follow all other precautions to prevent the spread of the virus, the CDC said. This is not least because it's possible even vaccinated people could harbor the virus in their noses and throats, and pass it to others.

"At this time, vaccinated persons should continue to follow current guidance to protect themselves and others, including wearing a mask, staying at least 6 feet away from others, avoiding crowds, avoiding poorly ventilated spaces, covering coughs and sneezes, washing hands often, following CDC travel guidance, and following any applicable workplace or school guidance, including guidance related to personal protective equipment use or SARS-CoV-2 testing," the agency said."

They do not know how long the immunity lasts? They know for sure it lasts 3 months. Oh Boy!

• AlanMexicali changed the title to After being fully vaccinated, then what?

In addition to "then what?", what documentation will we receive that proves we have been vaccinated?  When one of us got a flu shot at Centro de Salud in Chapala a few months ago, the technician wrote out on a small piece of paper when we should come back next year., nothing about receiving the current flu shot.    Not exactly a legal document, hence my concern about Covid vaccination document/s.

In the US I got a small wallet size card from the CDC showing I have had two Pfizer immunization shots. Dates, vaccine Lot #, name etc.   Not necessarily that 'legal' looking but you can bet I have it in my billfold!

I will be flying red-eye domestically here in the US next week after 2nd shot + 15 days.  Will be interesting to see if I am even asked anything. 

4 hours ago, ibarra said:

In addition to "then what?", what documentation will we receive that proves we have been vaccinated?  When one of us got a flu shot at Centro de Salud in Chapala a few months ago, the technician wrote out on a small piece of paper when we should come back next year., nothing about receiving the current flu shot.    Not exactly a legal document, hence my concern about Covid vaccination document/s.

Do you remember the 1/2 inch round scar polio vaccinations left on arms of many children for life? I didn't get any lasting mark but some people I know did. 

4 minutes ago, AlanMexicali said:

Do you remember the 1/2 inch round scar polio vaccinations left on arms of many children for life? I didn't get any lasting mark but some people I know did. 

I believe that scar was from a small pox vaccination, they did leave scars but nothing like the BCG one given to all children in Mexico. They leave an easy way to discern citizenship at the border.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AlanMexicali said:

That was from smallpox vaccinations. Because that vaccine created a scab.

Polio vaccines don't leave a scar.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, RickS said:

In the US I got a small wallet size card from the CDC showing I have had two Pfizer immunization shots. Dates, vaccine Lot #, name etc.   Not necessarily that 'legal' looking but you can bet I have it in my billfold!

State (or sometimes, Local) Health Departments keep vaccine records.  Doubtful MX has a similar system. 

Read here, https://www.cbs58.com/news/how-state-and-health-officials-are-keeping-track-of-covid-19-vaccines

Your COVID-19 immunization file will be uploaded to local and state database that tracks vaccines, the same way flu vaccines are tracked.