Chapala.com Webboard

Dr Martha

daisy2013

Yes, it was and Puritan kind of shared the space.  Can't remember the exact configuration but May Collins and daughter Camille moved to the Maskaras location and then to the location now. Long time lakeside family and son Rod started Lagunanet - which the the first internet service (dial up) in addition to TelMex.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, RickS said:

But was not called 'Moms', right?

You are right.  Paul, who started Puritan Poultry where Bellon is now in SAT with his understudy Jose (Joe), then moved  to the present location of Puritan Poultry in Riberas. Paul then expanded the business to fried chicken and other items and Mae Collins was an employee of his. When Paul retired, is when the mother and daughter Collins moved to their first location in the strip of locales adjacent to the Maskaras Clinic.

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, slainte39 said:

You are right.  Paul, who started Puritan Poultry where Bellon is now in SAT with his understudy Jose (Joe), then moved  to the present location of Puritan Poultry in Riberas. Paul then expanded the business to fried chicken and other items and Mae Collins was an employee of his. When Paul retired, is when the mother and daughter Collins moved to their first location in the strip of locales adjacent to the Maskaras Clinic.

Correct me if I'm wrong...but I think Mae and daughter and a couple other employees quit Puritan to start Mom's as they thought they had a better concept.

13 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

Correct me if I'm wrong...but I think Mae and daughter and a couple other employees quit Puritan to start Mom's as they thought they had a better concept.

OK, I will.  There wasn´t any problem between Paul and Mae, other than he wanted to retire (just like a lot of older folks). Joe wasn´t interested in the restaurant/deli side of the business and just wanted to concentrate on selling poultry and supplemental supplies.  Yes, a couple of the restaurant employees went with her as she and they were not needed for or wanted to cut up chickens.

Just a simple case of people splitting up and going separate ways, not that anyone thought anyone was better than the other. Just a case of doing what you are comfortable with.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 1/29/2021 at 10:03 PM, slainte39 said:

OK, that is what I recall about that location also. The Puritan guy opened up the other side to food. And there was a lady (now I know that she was Mae Collins) that seemed to run it. But didn't think it was called Mom's until the move east to the Maskaras clinic area. THEN it was called Mom's. 

Thanks, 39, for clarifying all of that....

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RickS said:

OK, that is what I recall about that location also. The Puritan guy opened up the other side to food. And there was a lady (now I know that she was Mae Collins) that seemed to run it. But didn't think it was called Mom's until the move east to the Maskaras clinic area. THEN it was called Mom's. 

Thanks, 39, for clarifying all of that....

Dead right!!!  They used to sell the chickens on the west side where it became a sit down area and the kitchen was behind the poultry counter. Joe later moved the fresh poultry counter to the middle area of the building.