Chapala.com Webboard

Car Registration Cancellation

Hello,

Have been in a recent car accident resulting in the car to be a write-off. I have been instructed that we need to cancel the registration with the plates of the car and this is not something I am looking forward to do as I am not as familiar with the process and my language skills are mediocre at best.

1) Does anyone know how I can find a company or person that I could hire to take care of this? (preferably in GDL)

2) Are the offices to do this open with the restrictions in place?

Appreciate any help as I would like to avoid going out and limiting my exposure as much as possible.

Thanks

Steve

We had a car totaled in 2010. The insurance company (Parker) helped us. We got the sticker off the car and a letter from the insurance company saying they took possession of the vehicle. Ours was a US plated car.

24 minutes ago, Steve Lanni said:

Plated in Jalisco

You need to take the 2 plates & your tarjeta de circulación, a personal identification original and copy to a recaudadora and tell them you need to "baja por perdida total"  

It is a very simple process. 

In Chapala the Recaudadora is where you paid your registration renewal on Calle Degollado # 217

• Like 2

If you are expecting your insurance company to pay the value of the total loss, you will need to get proof of the previous five years of refrendo payments.  If you don't have copies, they will look them up and, of course, charge you for doing it.  If your car was from another state and converted to Jalisco registration you might not be able to get the proof you need.  The insurance agents will not do any of this for you.  I just went through all of this for a friend very recently.  It also will take a couple of months to get your money from the insurer and they want to do a deposit into your bank account directly so hope you have an account.  Like insurance companies everywhere, it was just such a pleasure doing business with them...Alan

• Like 1

They are your yearly car tax payments to Jalisco... aka tarjeta de circulacion.

BTW, it can be possible to get a missing one from out of state... that happened to us when we moved to Nayarit from Guanajuato. One got misfiled and, of course, it happened to be one within the previous five years (I had 10 years worth).

And, the number of tax payments required is also limited by the age of the car. You can't produce five if the car is only three years old.

On 1/20/2021 at 2:52 PM, Mostlylost said:

You need to take the 2 plates & your tarjeta de circulación, a personal identification original and copy to a recaudadora and tell them you need to "baja por perdida total"  

Does anyone know how much it costs to do a "baja" in order to plate the car in another state? Thanks.