Chapala.com Webboard

Covid Vaccines

FlyFree

The following is the text of my e-mail to the U.S. Consulate in Guadalajara:

"To: The Person In Charge

The United States government is dispensing Covid vaccines to the American population.
Will the U.S. Consulate in Guadalajara be organizing Covid vaccines to be dispensed to U.S. citizens living in this area? 
I would really appreciate if I could get a response as to the kind of assistance that will be available to U.S. citizens living abroad with regard to Covid vaccines.

Sincerely,
xxxxxxxxxxx"

I was wondering if the U.S. government is providing any assistance to it's citizens abroad? We file and pay our fair share of taxes which supported Operation Warp Speed. Will U.S. citizens living abroad get any help?

3 hours ago, Upfront said:

can you imagine the logistics. nah, wont happen

A lame reason. Has logistics stopped them from collecting taxes from U.S. citizens living abroad, or subjecting them to the same financial laws as Americans living at home? Don’t U.S. taxpayers living abroad have any rights? If we don’t stand up for our rights, who will?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jim Bowie said:

I would guess that decision is up to the new administration.

The new administration is going to be spending trillions of dollars on covid relief packages. If they can’t provide covid vaccines directly, they could send payments to U.S. citizens abroad in lieu of that.

• Haha 3

How difficult is it for U.S. citizens living in this area to copy and paste the e-mail I sent to the U.S. Consulate? For your convenience, here is their e-mail address: acsgdl @ state.gov 

If we are all proactive, we may get somewhere. Spread the word to your friends in this area. Ask your friends in other parts of Mexico to write to their appropriate consulate. If we do nothing, we will get nothing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Better to write your Congressperson.  I did. 

My worry is that the vaccine designated in MEX for age 60+ (Chinese most likely, maybe Russian) may not be acceptable in the US or most of civilized world when it comes to future travel. 

It is expected that a Covid vaccine "passport" will be needed at some point to cross borders all over the world.    

Likely best and easiest for people everywhere to get the shots locally.   

Canadian snowbirds in Florida are being vaccinated same as the "locals", which is best for all, they represent relatively small #'s, especially this year, and yet it protects everyone in the local area better that way (stop the spread) while removing stress and strain from local health resources should someone get sick if they didn't have it.

8 hours ago, FlyFree said:

A lame reason. Has logistics stopped them from collecting taxes from U.S. citizens living abroad, or subjecting them to the same financial laws as Americans living at home? Don’t U.S. taxpayers living abroad have any rights? If we don’t stand up for our rights, who will?

The Canadians in Florida and Mexico don't expect their government to chase them down wherever they are for a jab.     

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, RickS said:

B-Gal, is it "expected" or just a potential?  Big difference.

I'd put my money on Highly Likely.  

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/will-airlines-require-vaccine-passports-in-2021

New document for travel

The International Air Transport Association (IATA), an airline trade association that represents 290 airlines worldwide, announced on Nov. 23 that it was in the final stages of developing a digital vaccine passport for travelers.

Dubbed the IATA Travel Pass, the digital health document will provide travelers with a way to get a certification of things like their vaccination status and COVID-19 test results from medical facilities and share that information with airlines and border authorities.

Travelers would carry their certified COVID-19 health information via a new contactless app from the IATA.

Alan Joyce, the chief executive officer of the Australian airline Qantas, has told journalists that he thinks getting vaccinated against COVID-19 (and likely proving they had the immunization) will be a necessity before getting on a flight.

Other airlines are still mum about possible requirements on their flights, but experts say that travelers should expect to show proof of immunization once the vaccine becomes available to most people in the United States, likely next spring.

• Like 1

AMLO has permited private enterprises to buy vaccines for their employees, so could the consulate ot the LC or someone else do the same. The Mexican company I work for told me last night they would be buying and import vaccines and vaccinate all of their employees for free. I am not holding my breath but this is what i was told last night

If the WHO is asking countries to pause so poorer countries can get the vaccines, where would a company get in line to buy privately? You can't just order them directly form Pfizer or Moderna so you would have to buy them from the Mexican government who at this time is only vaccinating medical personnel. Mexico won't receive any more shipments until February 15. 

Also for example with Moderna the smallest approved transport container is filled with 100 doses and any entity would have to buy 2 shipments about 3 weeks apart. 

Yes Mostly , I agree with  you  but I am just curious to see how things will work in this case.. I am not holding my breath just curious to see how things  work or do not.. We will see... this is Mexico and weider thing have happened. February 15 is around the corner anyways...

1 hour ago, virgo lady said:

Likely best and easiest for people everywhere to get the shots locally.   

Canadian snowbirds in Florida are being vaccinated same as the "locals", which is best for all, they represent relatively small #'s, especially this year, and yet it protects everyone in the local area better that way (stop the spread) while removing stress and strain from local health resources should someone get sick if they didn't have it.

Some backlash to that is occurring:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/canadian-snowbirds-covid-19-vaccine-florida-1.5877867

56 minutes ago, bmh said:

AMLO has permited private enterprises to buy vaccines for their employees, so could the consulate ot the LC or someone else do the same. The Mexican company I work for told me last night they would be buying and import vaccines and vaccinate all of their employees for free. I am not holding my breath but this is what i was told last night

https://www.travelpulse.com/news/destinations/cancun-hotels-trying-to-purchase-covid-19-vaccines-for-employees.html

The following is the response I received from the U.S. Consulate in Guadalajara. End of story. I wonder if the U.S. government plans on stopping collecting my taxes while I live overseas?

Dear XXXXX, 

The United States Government does not plan to provide COVID-19 vaccinations to private U.S. citizens overseas.  Please follow host country developments and guidelines for COVID-19 vaccination. 

If you wish to be vaccinated in the U.S. please contact your doctor in the United States for information. 

Office of American Citizen Services    

U.S. Consulate General | Guadalajara, Jal.    

(01152)(33) 3268-2100 | acsgdl@state.gov    

• Sad 1

yes , we will see if it changes.. 

If you ak private clinic you get the August september anwer.. So we will see...  So AMLO tells private enterprises to get vaccines or the country will not be finished by the end of 2021 and the companies are told september and  that could change too

We will see what happens...

21 hours ago, FlyFree said:

I was wondering if the U.S. government is providing any assistance to it's citizens abroad? We file and pay our fair share of taxes which supported Operation Warp Speed. Will U.S. citizens living abroad get any help?

You are no more important than a US armed forces veteran or a Medicare insured person residing outside the US. They and you must return to the US to receive medical benefits no matter how much taxes were paid. Veterans have complained about the situation for over 50 years to no avail.