Chapala.com Webboard

COVID 19 TESTING, LAKESIDE/GDL

Greetings,
A friend of mine is traveling to Columbia for a few weeks. They require a PCR Covid 19 test dated within 3 days of the travel date. So we went nosing around and discovered that these tests are quite pricey. Like the best we could find is $3500 pesos. I could not help but wonder how middle and low income Mexicans could afford such a test, if they suspect they are ill with the disease? So I thought I would ask a few friends back in the states about the price there. They are telling me the price is FREE. Huh? There is something that just does not add up here. Your comments?

12 hours ago, LahrySibley said:

Greetings,
A friend of mine is traveling to Columbia for a few weeks. They require a PCR Covid 19 test dated within 3 days of the travel date. So we went nosing around and discovered that these tests are quite pricey. Like the best we could find is $3500 pesos. I could not help but wonder how middle and low income Mexicans could afford such a test, if they suspect they are ill with the disease? So I thought I would ask a few friends back in the states about the price there. They are telling me the price is FREE. Huh? There is something that just does not add up here. Your comments?

in Jalisco call if showing symptoms you can get a free test. 

21 minutes ago, Zeb said:

I believe the free part is that it is covered on US health insurace, so not free, but included in benefit.

Actually it is free in most if not all states in the USA. If you have insurance they will bill the insurance company. If you have no insurance the government pays the cost. 

• Like 1

The US vaccine is free in ALL states.  Against Federal law to sell it, at least these batches that are being purchased by the Feds.  There has been some theoretical discussions about whether sites (hospitals, doctors offices) could charge for an "office visit" since that specific was left out of the bill that passed.  So far no one is charging, but the primary distributers are health departments.  

4 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

Actually it is free in most if not all states in the USA. If you have insurance they will bill the insurance company. If you have no insurance the government pays the cost. 

.... and Pharmacies (CVS and Walgreens) for "nursing home" patrons and staff. They are doing it under contract with the Feds. But that part....in Colorado.... is not going great as the  pharmacies have covered only 1/3 of the facilities although there is vaccine enough. With the new administration Walgreens (here) today is asking the State to step in and help. 

On a related subject, just tonight I saw that a full half of nursing home staff here are opting out of getting the vaccination. In other arenas there is talk of companies mandating the vaccine for employees but nursing homes generally can't hire enough staff to begin with so.....

On 1/19/2021 at 3:03 PM, Mostlylost said:

Not free.  Free means medication is donated and no one is paid. Paid by government means money came from taxpayers.   

2 hours ago, RickS said:

.... and Pharmacies (CVS and Walgreens) for "nursing home" patrons and staff. They are doing it under contract with the Feds. But that part....in Colorado.... is not going great as the  pharmacies have covered only 1/3 of the facilities although there is vaccine enough. With the new administration Walgreens (here) today is asking the State to step in and help. 

On a related subject, just tonight I saw that a full half of nursing home staff here are opting out of getting the vaccination. In other arenas there is talk of companies mandating the vaccine for employees but nursing homes generally can't hire enough staff to begin with so.....

3 minutes ago, LahrySibley said:

We just returned from GDL Salud Digna. They do the tests on the Circumnavacacion st. ONLY. We got there before 8 AM, in and out in 15 mins. Results emailed no later than Saturday 7-8 PM. $950 pesos. 

Before it was at  the Avenida Americas location. So they changed it to Circunvalación location? 

Did you make an appointment?  

Av. Circunvalación  Dr. Atl 571, Monumental, 44320 Guadalajara   333 609 0692

Highway robbery lakeside!   The antigen test kit (rapid test done in house no laboratory needed) costs less than $5.00 US  when purchased in packs of 40 kits

Prices in GLD at Salud Digna

The PCR test $950 pesos  with 48 hour results. 

The Antigen is $250 pesos with 2 hour results

The Antibody test is $160 pesos with 48 hour results

1 hour ago, lakeside7 said:

But if you are up the creek without a paddle and a rich "Gringo"...No problema..a other SuperLake

Maybe so, but I put/hold Health Care to a higher level of 'right' than I do a grocery store selling 'I'd like to have but don't really need' things. Addressing Covid-19 'should' be looked at as a moral issue. Skippy's peanut butter not so much!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RickS said:

Maybe so, but I put/hold Health Care to a higher level of 'right' than I do a grocery store selling 'I'd like to have but don't really need' things. Addressing Covid-19 'should' be looked at as a moral issue. Skippy's peanut butter not so much!

Of course you are correct.... but before this Pandemic don't you think the MX government is morally bankrupt with how it provides medical services vis  both IMSS and SP (?) . Frankly I was one of those "rich Gringos" who was happy to circumvent the system and using a "facilitator" go to the head of the line.

20 minutes ago, Zeb said:

So once I have kit and use it, would it just go to a local lab in our area and they would provide the results?  Idea being, to not spend all that money on those ridiculous charges.

I don't see how to modify my post, so using this method.  I guess I am not clear on the use of the kits and how to get the results.  If you do it yourself with the kit, how are the results shown?  And then which tests are need as the other information above shows different tests.