Chapala.com Webboard

Governor Alfaro has spoken

#HarryB

The science tells us that the virus is spread by  prolonged contact with an infected person. The statistics tell us that the vast majority of those that contract the disease do so in their own home from family members, and in closed environments in close contact with others for prolonged periods and not wearing a mask. 

Since March I have flown to the USA. I have visited Mazamitla. I have eaten in restaurants. I renewed my IMSS in GDL. I shopped in Walmart. I walked on the bike path  and the malecon.  I went to the clinic and got my flu shot. I had family members visit for the day and we all wore our masks and spent the afternoon in the garden.

Basically I act like an adult.  I wear my KN95 mask, I wash my hands, I use gel.    

Leaving your house does not spread the disease.  Not following the normal precautions does. 

• Like 3

So if I understand your claim correctly your saying that if you walk by someone in the street who is infected and not wearing a mask or wearing a mask incorrectly or one of the cheap Chinese masks and who happens to sneeze as you walk past, that walking through the cloud of droplets will have no effect on you ?  even though the droplets could possibly enter your body through your eyes or ears...

I would like to know the source of your claim that it takes prolonged contact with an infected person to catch the virus...

• Sad 4

2 minutes ago, TelsZ4 said:

So if I understand your claim correctly your saying that if you walk by someone in the street who is infected and not wearing a mask or wearing a mask incorrectly or one of the cheap Chinese masks and who happens to sneeze as you walk past, that walking through the cloud of droplets will have no effect on you ?  even though the droplets could possibly enter your body through your eyes or ears...

I would like to know the source of your claim that it takes prolonged contact with an infected person to catch the virus...

Covid does not enter through your ears. I wear glasses.  The odds of me walking by someone not wearing a mask and sneezing just as they pass by me is about the same as being struck by lightning. 

As to where I found the information about prolonged contact check the CDC and the WHO plus thousands other websites. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, TelsZ4 said:

I don't get within 6 feet of people when I walk, usually when I walk there are few people on street or the malecon (I don't go to malecon weekends or evenings, most of the time I go, it is nearly deserted).  If I see a crowd when I walk towards malecon, I am capable of switching gears and walk instead on the paseo, where it is rare to even run into 1 person).

If someone is walking towards me on my sidewalk I walk into the street or cross it.  If I go to shop, I look inside before I enter, too many people or anyone without a mask, I don't go in. 

From CDC site, 

The virus that causes COVID-19 most commonly spreads between people who are in close contact with one another (within about 6 feet, or 2 arm lengths).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TelsZ4 said:

This is the reason the virus is spreading.. Did you really have to go out this morning checking up on the restaurants and stores,, and what’s happening at malecon.

What part of “Stay home stop the spread don’t you understand”. ?

As Bisbee Gal explained above, her practices when going out do not present a danger to either herself or others. I have been conducting myself in exactly the same way she describes, since March. And I don't go out for frivolous reasons.

The virus gets spread by those who either don't get it, or don't care. Pulling some filthy wadded-up mask they've worn 100 times out of their pocket, that they only put on to be allowed to enter a store, wearing it under their nose, refusing to distance, getting together with people they don't share a home with, while taking no precautions, and so on.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TelsZ4 said:

In addition to space and duration of contact you need to consider the viral load of your encounter. Even IF a person who is carrying the virus sneezed at exactly the second they walked past you (and, as Mostlylost pointed out, what are the chances of that happening?) the amount of virus in the droplets that you MIGHT inhale can easily be knocked out by your immune system. Nothing happens. Stand or sit a couple of feet away from an infected person for several hours, talking, laughing or maybe shouting, singing and the viral load you take in may overwhelm your immune system and you get sick. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Upfront said:

i get that it is appparently not that easy to get infected. then why are record numbers of people getting infected every single day. are there truly that many $%&/()os out there

From World Health Organization, re: where do people get infected with Covid: 

• Crowded places with many people nearby;
  • Close-contact settings, especially where people have conversations very near each other;
  • Confined and enclosed spaces with poor ventilation.  

And from here,  https://sfsafe.org/top-10-riskiest-places-for-catching-coronavirus/

1. Bars and Jails/Prisons (tied for 8.85 on the risk scale)

According to MSN & CivicMeter, both bars and jails/prisons tied for the riskiest places to potentially catch coronavirus. A large amount of outbreaks have been linked to jails and prisons, due to the close proximity of those inside of them. Indoor bars also make social distancing very difficult, and also have been linked to many infections.

2. Nursing Homes (8.73)

It may come as no surprise to anyone keeping up on the news that nursing homes are also hot zones for coronavirus. Per the MSN article, statistics report that nursing homes and long-term care facilities account for more than 40 percent of all COVID-related deaths, while the CDC states that people living in these places are at a higher risk.

3. Indoor Theaters/Churches (8.15)

With the speaking and singing that occurs during services—and the potential spread of droplets—churches have also risen to the top of the list of the most dangerous places for coronavirus, per the MSN report. The report also highlighted an article by The New York Times that found more than 650 cases have been linked to nearly 40 churches and religious events across the United States since the early days of the pandemic.

4. Restaurants/Indoor Seating (7.54)

Even Dr. Fauci himself told people in a MarketWatch interview to avoid indoor eating altogether, per the MSN report. Asked if dining outdoors was safer, he didn’t hesitate in answering. “Yes, absolutely. Indoors is much worse than outdoors,” Dr. Fauci replied.

5. Outdoor Stadiums for Large Events (7.54)

With such large numbers of people attending rock concerts, sporting events or other stadium-centric activities, the potential for infection goes through the roof.

More people congregating close together while talking, screaming and—not to mention while potentially losing their inhibitions on alcohol—is a very risky recipe for catching coronavirus per MSN’s piece.

6. Gyms (7.50)

According to MSN’s article, Dr. Fauci told The Washington Post that he would refrain from gym visits at this time—and most epidemiologists agree with him. As some people solely return to fitness studios, virus outbreaks have been reported, including in California.

7. Outside Gatherings That Aren’t Socially Distanced (7.38)

When it comes to gathering together during the pandemic, outside is definitely better than inside—most especially when social distancing as well. Inside gatherings made social distancing very difficult, as evidenced by graduation parties and summer barbecues being linked to large coronavirus outbreaks, per the MSN article.

8. Airports (6.73)

Although many people might assume airplanes are rife with opportunities for catching coronavirus, it turns out airports are even riskier, given the time spent in close contact with others in security lines and airport terminals with frequently touched surfaces, per the CDC via MSN.

9. Airplane (6.65)

Many might assume the potential to catch coronavirus in the air is what makes airplane travel so risky. In fact, per the MSN report that quoted the CDC, it’s more

about traveling in close proximity to each other. “Social distancing is difficult on crowded flights, and you may have to sit near others (within 6 feet), sometimes for hours. This may increase your risk for exposure to the virus that causes COVID-19.”

10. Hospitals (6.24)

Although it might seem as though hospitals are hot zones for coronavirus infection, they are actually safer than many other places due to strictly enforced protocol. Still, they rank in the top ten riskiest places, per MSN.

And from here: https://sfsafe.org/top-10-riskiest-places-for-catching-coronavirus/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mudgirl said:

As Bisbee Gal explained above, her practices when going out do not present a danger to either herself or others. I have been conducting myself in exactly the same way she describes, since March. And I don't go out for frivolous reasons.

The virus gets spread by those who either don't get it, or don't care. Pulling some filthy wadded-up mask they've worn 100 times out of their pocket, that they only put on to be allowed to enter a store, wearing it under their nose, refusing to distance, getting together with people they don't share a home with, while taking no precautions, and so on.

I see from the number of times you have posted you know a lot about everything..  

So the medical experts all over the world are wrong when they say don’t go out stay home.. ?   In your expert opinion as Long as we wear a clean mask it’s OK to just wander around checking restaurants, parks, malecons, stores to see if they are complying with the lockdown rules...?

• Sad 5

17 minutes ago, TelsZ4 said:

I see from the number of times you have posted you know a lot about everything..  

So the medical experts all over the world are wrong when they say don’t go out stay home.. ?   In your expert opinion as Long as we wear a clean mask it’s OK to just wander around checking restaurants, parks, malecons, stores to see if they are complying with the lockdown rules...?

Medical experts all over the world are not saying stay home.  They are saying "wear a mask, wash your hands, don't spend time in close proximity to others, avoid large gatherings, social distance"   ....  How do you social distance if you are at home?????

Unfortunately, for some,  lecturing others seems to be the new norm.    DO AS I SAY!!!!! 

May this could help with your phobia....

https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-769729011-protective-suit-breathable-protective-coverall-hazmat-suits-_JM

image.png.d19d7e35fab450382a1e2f9de177b902.png

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TelsZ4 said:

Don't put words in my mouth. I never said that- you have a problem with reading comprehension.

Both I and Bisbee Gal indicated that we go out when it is necessary and practice extremely safe COVID precautions. Unless we are blind, of course we would notice, when taking care of essential business, if people are complying with directives.

How or why you twisted that into just strolling about to check how things are looking is something only you know.

When lockdowns are imposed, it is because of people who won't wear masks or distance, gather in groups, etc. If everyone, and I mean everyone, just followed the scientific guidance for not spreading the virus, there would be no need for mandated lockdowns, just like there would be no need for laws against murder if no one ever killed anyone else.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Upfront said:

i get that it is appparently not that easy to get infected. then why are record numbers of people getting infected every single day. are there truly that many $%&/()os out there

Yes, unfortunately there are. And because it is so contagious and exponentially multiplies quite quickly, one infected idjit exposes 3 other idjits, they each expose another 3, and within a week there are 100 cases that all can be traced back to idjit #1.

One SUV full of maskless weekenders, one of whom has the virus, coming to have "fun", who've all been breathing in the enclosed vehicle for an hour and then go out and about in your town for two days, pulling their masks down around their chin to talk on the phone while standing close to some other passersby, can spark a whole new round of infections.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, artsnob said:

I just came back from Oxxo in my neighborhood, they let me in, l am 80, maybe it was because l am a regular, and pay all my bills there and get their great coffee

It was my regular run to the same Oxxo out west since it opened a number of years ago and they know me.  Sad state of affairs.  My birthday is tomorrow and I will be 59! 😜 

17 hours ago, TelsZ4 said:

KN and K95 masks have the same effective rate 95%  however the K95 is slightly easier to breath with.  I have both and can't tell the difference.   I find nothing cheap about the KN95. 

2 hours ago, HoneyBee said:

I always wonder how they come up with a 95% effectiveness rate. Do they take 100 people wearing this mask and then expose them to the virus and then carry out A COVID 19 test where  in theory 5 should be infected ? ☺️

No, science doesn't work like that. They would use a spray that has the same size particles as the virus and measure how much of it passes through the mask.

An N95 mask (also called a respirator) is a mask that is worn over the face to prevent the inhalation of airborne particles. The N95 designation means that the mask will filter at least 95% of particles 0.3 microns in size. 

The coronavirus measures between .05 and 0.2 microns in diameter, one micron is 1 millionth part of a metre). 

Approved KN95s will perform almost identically to N95s—they have virtually the same filtration rate and are therefore equally safe if they’re properly certified. KN95s might have ear loops; most N95s only attach via head straps. 

You can inhale corona virus and not be infected. It depends on the quantity of virus inhaled. The larger the quantity inhaled the higher the possibility and also the severity if contracted.  That is why prolonged contact is not recommended. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1