Chapala.com Webboard

Hi CFE bills

Mitch

The cost per kilowatt is high in Mexico but unless they are heating their house with an electric heater or using an electric swimming pool heater their bills shouldn't be too bad.  Do they know that the bill is for 2 months of power, not just one month?  Propane heaters or solar power.  I had a friend who once had a 2000 peso bill when she had guests.  They never turned off lights when they left a room or turned off overhead fans.

56 minutes ago, Mitch said:

We have friends that are new here and are complaining about high CFE bills. Any advice or people you can recommend who may be able to lower their costs would be appreciated.

Thanks

The question is  What is the amount of their "high" bill? 

Then  Do they have a pool?  Air conditioning/heating units?  Incandescent, fluorescent, or LED lighting? Gas or electric oven? 

Electricity per KWH tariffs when in the highly subsidized rates is very cheap. In our house we consume under 500 KWHs per 2 months (billing cycle) and the bill is always about $400.00 to $475.00 pesos. 

They have gotten themselves into the dreaded DAC rate  and will have to wait until their comsumption goes down to 250 KWHs per month or less for it to average out to 3000 KWHs per 12 months to get highly subsidized again at the 3 tier lowest rate. Check the last 6 bills comsumption for bills coming every 2 months. Is it 3000 KWHs or is it more? If more that explaines their high electricity bills.

Google Translation:

"DOMESTIC CONSUMPTION HIGH (DAC), 2016
Check Rates of: 2016

This rate will apply to all energy services intended for domestic use only. It is considered guzzling when registering an average monthly consumption exceeds the limit defined as high consumption for your locality.

The average monthly consumption is determined by the moving average consumption recorded by the user in the last 12 months.

When the Average Monthly Consumption is lower than the limit set High consumption in the city, domestic tariff 01, 1A, 1B, 1C, 1D, 1E and 1F apply; corresponding

The high consumption limit is defined in terms of domestic rate: 01, 1A, 1B, 1C, 1D, 1E and 1F; that applies in your area.

RATE LIMIT
01- 250 kWh / month"

http://app.cfe.gob.mx/Aplicaciones/CCFE/Tarifas/Tarifas/Tarifas_casa.asp?Tarifa=DACAnual2003&anio=2016

In conclusion this is the way to get cheap residential electricity per KWH rates in Central Mexico.

Bills that are every 2 months almost all need to be 500 KWHs or less and if you don´t reduce consumption to 500 KWHs every 2 months to average the 500 KWHs to equal 3000 KWHs in 12 months you will stay in the DAC rate. 1 KWH over in the 12 month average will keep you in the DAC rate.

3000 KWHs/ 365= 8.219 KWHs per day for 61 days = 500 KWHs to stay highly subsidized.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Yo1 said:

I had a friend who once had a 2000 peso bill when she had guests.  They never turned off lights when they left a room or turned off overhead fans.

Lights and fans aren't a big energy draw. I leave my fans on all summer, they never get turned off although I do set them on low in rooms I'm not in. So it isn't the fans and lights that were sucking so much electric, it was that it was enough more kwh that she went into a higher rate or the guests were using other things that draw a lot of power, like hair dryers or an iron. 

I once had my whole family here for Xmas. There were 11 people for 10 days. My electric bill for that 2 month period was 300 pesos.

• Thanks 1

First is to analyze what the power  consumption is.  Lighting can run up bills, LEDs fix that problem  quickly.  Then there are things like pool pumps and water pressure systems.  Electric heaters of any kind quickly can drive usage into the DAC level.

Finally, you can add enough solar to keep your base load under the 250 kWh level.  We've had it for over three years and it was cost effective then, it is downright cheap now with the advent of 425 watt panels.

We got one of those gas space heaters that uses the portable hand tank and it is amazingly efficient and fast.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mitch said:

Our friends CFE is about $2,200  p   No pool, no air, buy they are using a small elect. space heater

The electric space heater could be the culprit depending on how much they run it.  A better answer is to put on your sweats and a jacket and maybe a hat during these cold spells and save your pesos.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mitch said:

Any advice or people you can recommend who may be able to lower their costs would be appreciated.

Highly recommend Go Solar here on this board.   STI Solar Technology is a very well respected company with many years at lakeside and has top quality systems at excellent pricing with 1st class installation and support.    There are many board users who have mentioned the same over a number of years.

ron(at)solartechnology.com.mx

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Mitch said:

Our friends CFE is about $2,200  p   No pool, no air, buy they are using a small elect. space heater

They could try switching to a propane heater. If they own their house solar would be the way to go. IMO

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Yo1 said:

The electric space heater could be the culprit depending on how much they run it.  A better answer is to put on your sweats and a jacket and maybe a hat during these cold spells and save your pesos.

It should be 1/2 that or less. Are they in the DAC rate. I had 3 bedroom house, casita, and a pool and mine was about 900 every two months. Could they post a picture of thier bill here?

If owners---did they not ask to see history of CFE bills before buying?  We always have. 

If renters--they can ask management company to see earlier bills.  

These prior bills will tell them whether their current bills are in line with past, or if they have caused a spike.  It could be a fridge that is improperly running too much, or some other appliance, maybe one they have added.  We bought a wine cooler at our 1st home here and the spike in CFE was noticeable.  As was running our water fountain all day long. 

We went solar at our current home.  

• Like 1

If you stay below 500KwH for two months the bill will be cheap like 750pesos. Now if I used 600KwH and was on DAC my bill was 3200pesos. Buy a gas catalytic heater and don't run the electric heater and I bet your bill will go down. Tell us how many KwH are being used on the 2200Peso bill and we can tell you more. Also does the tariff section say DAC? (when you use more than 500KwH on a two month bill you go on DAC after doing so for a year, DAC is the highest rate charged.)

14 hours ago, Mitch said:

We have friends that are new here and are complaining about high CFE bills. Any advice or people you can recommend who may be able to lower their costs would be appreciated.

Thanks

Happy to.    PM me with more info or email is fine as well.     

STI will also again be supporting the Northern Lights Music Festival / Festival de Febrero (~ 14 years running now) as they move to outdoor smaller distanced venues this year  due to both Covid and the Auditorio changes....and there will be a 20,000 peso STI Gift Certificate offered at / by their online auction, >>> the total amount of the winning bid goes to the Festival and the great local and global musicians it supports.      Anyone who wants more info on that and all the other items and details of The Festival can connect with the Roseann and The Festival:    silentauctionsnlmf(at)gmail.com.        More to follow soon in the Ojo and other local publications.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, lcscats said:

If you stay below 500KwH for two months the bill will be cheap like 750pesos. Now if I used 600KwH and was on DAC my bill was 3200pesos. Buy a gas catalytic heater and don't run the electric heater and I bet your bill will go down. Tell us how many KwH are being used on the 2200Peso bill and we can tell you more. Also does the tariff section say DAC? (when you use more than 500KwH on a two month bill you go on DAC after doing so for a year, DAC is the highest rate charged.)

A two month spike in consumption might not put you into the DAC rate. The 12 month total consumption needs to be 3000 KWHs or less to keep you out of the DAC tariff rate. It has nothing to do with the 2 month consumption being over 500 KWHs. You are in the DAC tariff rate or not. Then if you actually do go into the DAC tariff rate you might not remain there for a year if you reduce consumption and your 12 month total consumption is 3000 KWHs or less. The average for 12 months is how it is calculated not each individual 2 month billing cycle. In otherwords you can consume more than 250 KWHs some months and consume less than 250 KWHs some months and not go into the DAC tariff rate all depending if your 12 month total consumption is 3000 KWHs or less. This can happen at anytime during the year. Not necessarily after a year.

• Like 2

Yes, average kWh of most recent 6 billing periods determines DAC.     So the 2200 peso bill mentioned can still be (and most likely is) in tarifa 01 (the tarifa is shown on the upper front left page of the bill and it would be either 01 or DAC at lakeside for residential).       The same amount of kWh used if in DAC would be about double.    Tarifa 01 is a stepped rate structure that includes portions priced at basico, intermedio, and excediente, while the total # of kWh are charged at the DAC rate once in DAC.

"Getting "DAC'd" is not fun!    😉

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Go Solar said:

Yes, average kWh of most recent 6 billing periods determines DAC.     So the 2200 peso bill mentioned can still be (and most likely is) in tarifa 01 (the tarifa is shown on the upper front left page of the bill and it would be either 01 or DAC at lakeside for residential).       The same amount of kWh used if in DAC would be about double.    Tarifa 01 is a stepped rate structure that includes portions priced at basico, intermedio, and excediente, while the total # of kWh are charged at the DAC rate once in DAC.

"Getting "DAC'd" is not fun!    😉

Being in the DAC tariff rate for all KWHs consumed is about 5 times the highly subsidized rate not about double which would be a bill for example a subsidized tariff rate of $425.00 pesos X 5 = $2,125.00 pesos. You cannot pay that much for 2 months without being in the dreaded DAC tariff rate. The OP's friend is paying about 5X what he would be if he could figure out how to get back into being highly subsidized. That is the reason it is called "dreaded". If your setup makes it impossible to consume less then solar would be needed. IMO. It might be very hard to comsume that much less if his houses KWHs have exceeded the monthly allowed 250 KWHs per month for a year. If he is a new renter/owner the previous renter/owner might have been electricity "hogs" (AC and heater on all the time etc.) and he now is paying for their excessive usage for a year with no solution if he stays at consuming 250 KWHs per month or less like most of us try hard to do. [ a game that is a lot of fun for us pensioners? LOL ]

More like double, given where they are currently, Alan.   

See below.

While you're right that DAC is 5x the lowest tiers, anyone who is around 2000 pesos and not yet in DAC, has a majority of their use being billed at excedente which is 3+ pesos / kWh + IVA.      So they will see a big jump when DAC hits, but not 5x.

image.thumb.png.073bff762566502c19353ee41acb7858.png

2 hours ago, AlanMexicali said:

You cannot pay that much for 2 months without being in the dreaded DAC tariff rate

Actually, you absolutely can.     A bump due to seasonal heating or AC use can mean use of 600 kWh would give a 2000 + peso bill in tarifa 01, without getting into DAC, as you have to average into it, as has been mentioned already.

Whereas,  600 kWh in DAC is about 3600 pesos.       

This is another way to use solar and the CFE 12 month rolling kWh credit system.    Energy produced and not consumed in the in-between months between cold and hot times, is "banked" and those credits offset the higher consumption periods.    So CFE acts kind of as the "bank" and "battery" in that sense, thanks to the regulations from CRE that they must follow for solar interconexion accounts.    And all at no added cost to the customer.    And the homeowner can also go with a smaller system than they might think they need for those peak use times, as a result.   Bonus.

15 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

Nobody has mentioned the possibility that another house has tapped into their power line.

I was thinking that also but forgot to mention it in my post.

I had a big surplus of Kwh from 2010 onwards and never did CFE take them away. As we migrated from part time to full time, that surplus was gradually worked off. There was always talk of resetting the account at the beginning of each year but I never had mine reset.

You were lucky Tom, quite a few clients had their surplus deleted annually. My surplus showed up deleted annually in/on my Dec-Jan bimonthly bill each year.  In my case the amount was so small, that I didn't worry about it. In fact, my solution was not to conserve so much, using up my surplus running an electric heater for occasionally during cold season.