Chapala.com Webboard

Where can I buy a used 6v battery for my golf cart?

We used to buy new and used parts and get repairs on our golf cart by Jaime Hernández.  His shop has moved a few times so I’m not exactly sure where it is but it is somewhere in lower SAT.  I just saw Jaime today at his brother Ricardo’s garage, the one next Superlake.  Maybe ask Ricardo where Jaime’s shop is.  

4 hours ago, Dostortas said:

We used to buy new and used parts and get repairs on our golf cart by Jaime Hernández.  His shop has moved a few times so I’m not exactly sure where it is but it is somewhere in lower SAT.  I just saw Jaime today at his brother Ricardo’s garage, the one next Superlake.  Maybe ask Ricardo where Jaime’s shop is.  

Yes he is working from his brothers garage

There is the battery guy across from the Pemex in Jocotepec. If he does not have one he can get it. This guy is where I bought my batteries for my two carts and all my car batteries. Nice guy. 

Maybe I should have left a smart ... remark like  some of the other children on this board. 

Good luck. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

You are in luck, maybe, I have two Trojan T125 Mileage Maker, 6 volt batteries you can have for free. These sell for over $250 each in Mexico. They are old, but have never been used, don't show any bulging. I think if you had them serviced by someone who knows what they are doing, they will give you years of service. You need to find someone who knows how to boil charge the battery to clean the plates. Trojans have serious thick lead plates especially to handle full charges. These are heavy by the way, I am going to guess about 50 lbs each.

PM me to get a phone number and arrange for pickup. I live in Chapala Haciendas.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CHILLIN said:

You are in luck, maybe, I have two Trojan T125 Mileage Maker, 6 volt batteries you can have for free. These sell for over $250 each in Mexico. They are old, but have never been used, don't show any bulging. I think if you had them serviced by someone who knows what they are doing, they will give you years of service. You need to find someone who knows how to boil charge the battery to clean the plates. Trojans have serious thick lead plates especially to handle full charges. These are heavy by the way, I am going to guess about 50 lbs each.

PM me to get a phone number and arrange for pickup. I live in Chapala Haciendas.

Wow!!! Just sent you a PM with my phone #. Today started badly with my TV crappin' out and I just get back from taking it to Roberto to find out what is going on. Hopefully the day is ending on a positive note...Thank you CHILLIN and Chapala.com...you are the best!!! 

Just be aware that 'mixing' batteries of different makes AND age is not advised.  Put an older battery in with a new(er) one and the newer one(s) will 'default' to the power of the old one. 

Now if your cart only uses 2 batteries and the gift from Chillin turns out OK you don't have an issue, but...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Dostortas said:

Brother......Roberto "Beto".

19 hours ago, RickS said:

Just be aware that 'mixing' batteries of different makes AND age is not advised.  Put an older battery in with a new(er) one and the newer one(s) will 'default' to the power of the old one. 

Now if your cart only uses 2 batteries and the gift from Chillin turns out OK you don't have an issue, but...

I have to say that I don' t think this is correct, sort of. If batteries were connected in paralell, say 4, 12 volt batteries, the weakest battery would be a fault to the rest of them. If you had 4x6 volt batteries, in series, up to the common 24 volt, then a faulty battery would not break the chain. the current just ignores it, but the reserve time goes down. Anyways, maybe one the solar guys can explain it. My sky guys used to use a 24 volt DC welder, could merge with the toughest old steel. It worked off a Craftsman portable drill. Could weld stainless steel too.

Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

When one has 4 6V batteries in series that amounts to/is exactly like having one 24-Volt battery. You are suggesting that, if one of those 4 batteries (i.e. 3 cells of the 24V battery) is 'bad', that is a no harm no foul situation... everything will be hunky-dory. I disagree. One 24V battery with 3 bad cells just ain't gonna work very well....or at all IMO. 

Your offer of 2 'old' T125s was nice. BUT 'how old is old'?  Were they kept charged while just sitting there... topped off at east every 6 months?   And your comment about having them 'de-sulfated' is a good one IF it's not too late. All lead-acid batteries develop sulfate, even if just sitting there. If they are overcharged, undercharged or left discharging for just a few days they will rapidly develop sulfate. Even when stored fully charged, sulfate will form unless/without a frequently applied 'maintenance charge'. It MUST be charged enough to prevent the battery from dropping below 6.2V.... 2.0V/cell. Storing batteries in temps above 75 °F  accelerates the rate of sulfation, increasing it dramatically.

I will be picking these batteries up from CHILLIN in a couple of hours. I have already notified Jamie and will be taking them to him to check out for the best way to proceed. Will keep you updated. By the way there are 6 batteries in my golf cart. Gracias

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update...SUCCESS!!! Muchas gracias CHILLIN!!!  I picked up the batteries that he graciously offered me for my golf cart and had them charged and checked out by Jamie who gave the greenlight and had Armando, my mechanic come to install. He found that there not one, but 2 of the batteries (out of the 6) were malo, so thankfully my gift of the 2 were perfect. I charged overnight and have been test driving over the past couple of days and running like a race horse!!! Now I am waiting for Adelita's to resume the wonderful Sat. and Mon. music nights so I can take it on the short trip there and more  importantly get me home in good shape. After a few vino tintos, walking back home can be an adventure with those pesky cobblestones jumping up and hitting you in the face. Seriously, it happened to me once!!! I would also like to thank the lovely Mrs. CHILLIN for her help. Another chapala.com success story!!!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, gringohombre said:

Just an update...SUCCESS!!! Muchas gracias CHILLIN!!!  I picked up the batteries that he graciously offered me for my golf cart and had them charged and checked out by Jamie who gave the greenlight and had Armando, my mechanic come to install. He found that there not one, but 2 of the batteries (out of the 6) were malo, so thankfully my gift of the 2 were perfect. I charged overnight and have been test driving over the past couple of days and running like a race horse!!! Now I am waiting for Adelita's to resume the wonderful Sat. and Mon. music nights so I can take it on the short trip there and more  importantly get me home in good shape. After a few vino tintos, walking back home can be an adventure with those pesky cobblestones jumping up and hitting you in the face. Seriously, it happened to me once!!! I would also like to thank the lovely Mrs. CHILLIN for her help. Another chapala.com success story!!!

Wow you really go to Adelitas and return to the CH on a golf cart!, 

• Sad 3