Chapala.com Webboard

Canadian Non-residency

Darryl

22 hours ago, TelsZ4 said:

You would know because most of you post on here is BS. Secondly go to the CRA website and read up on the tax rules in Canada, specifically on the length of time you are required to keep tax records... Thirdly I only got a refund for 7 years not the 10.. that you claim.. Oh!!!! you have changed your mind on that on that now... and only got interest paid from the day my accountant filed the amended tax returns not the 10 years like you claim...

One of several in CRA regulations. It can represent thousands of dollars.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/segments/tax-credits-deductions-persons-disabilities/disability-tax-credit.html

"If a person was eligible for the DTC for previous years but did not claim the disability amount when they sent their tax return, they can request adjustments for up to 10 years under the CRA's Taxpayer Relief Provision."

• Like 3

23 hours ago, virgo lady said:

No they aren't misleading, and No, you don't have to comment.    Just.  Stop. 

If you don't like it don't read it but some like to know the facts. Some people are posting useful information.

49 minutes ago, timjwilson said:

One of several in CRA regulations. It can represent thousands of dollars.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/segments/tax-credits-deductions-persons-disabilities/disability-tax-credit.html

"If a person was eligible for the DTC for previous years but did not claim the disability amount when they sent their tax return, they can request adjustments for up to 10 years under the CRA's Taxpayer Relief Provision."

All our back thousands of $'s in refunds were based on our expenditures for medical  here in Mexico. Telsz4 has a useless habit of attacking me to no avail. Some people  can make themselves appear silly to the extreme.

13 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

All our back thousands of $'s in refunds were based on our expenditures for medical  here in Mexico. Telsz4 has a useless habit of attacking me to no avail. Some people  can make themselves appear silly to the extreme.

The 'taxpayer relief provision' is quite wide ranging and flexible in the hands of a good bookkeeper or lawyer [or an astute human]. I first noticed it when I was claiming capital gains exemption/return from the sale of a farm.

The full read;  https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/forms-publications/publications/ic07-1/taxpayer-relief-provisions-1r1.html

On 1/3/2021 at 10:19 AM, cedros said:

I don't really know. I have never used the Canadian Medical system when I was a non resident. Only a few times as a resident. I am just reporting what an expericenced Canadian tax man told me. 

I am officially an aboriginal person as defined in the Canadian Constitution which may complicate things.

Yes. I have seen most of that before.

On 1/3/2021 at 11:03 PM, Ferret said:

Exactly. You don't lose your citizenship. I am and always will be a Canadian citizen and I have a Canadian passport which has been renewed many times through the Canadian Embassy in Mexico City. But I am also no longer a RESIDENT of Canada and, therefore, have forfeited my right to health care there. If (and it's a very big and highly unlikely if) I chose to go back and become a resident in Canada again, then I can re-apply for Canadian health care. When I visit Canada now, I purchase a travel health insurance plan through Manulife Canada. In the meantime, I enjoy my retirement here and love not having to file income tax but only paying a flat 15% tax on income taken off at source.

Interesting. When I renewed my Canadian passport ivia Mexico city I was told (in a handout) you can only renew it abroad once. The next renewal had to be done in Canada. Maybe things are different now with Covid. 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, cedros said:

Interesting. When I renewed my Canadian passport in Mexico city I was told you can only renew it abroad once. The next renewal had to be done in Canada. Maybe things are different now with Covid. 

Do you make things up or have wild dreams and think they are reality? There is no limit to how many times you can renew your passport ANYWHERE IN THIS WORLD. There is no Canadian off planet embassy yet though.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Ferret said:

I have renewed my Canadian Passport EVERY FIVE YEARS SINCE 1999 through the embassy in Mexico City.

I'm starting to think that you hear only what you want to hear Cedros.

They told me that in 1913 when I last renewed it via Mexico City.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Cedros, stop making stuff up to keep a stupid conversation going.

I have renewed my passport twice at Mexico City. How would anybody tell you that ? You send the application to the embassy by courier and they courier your new passport back to you. I have never spoken to anyone to renew a passport. As far as I know there is no way to do it in person at the embassy in Mexico City unless it is an emergency replacement.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2021 at 9:43 PM, Whipstock said:

I have been advised a basic savings/chequing account is allowed by the CRA, but not an investment account, Or RRSP, Or TFSA.  

Unless this is something new but I have RRSPs and LIRAs in Canada and am deemed a non-resident by the CRA. In fact, just renewed my non-residency status last year with CRA.

7 minutes ago, WideSky said:

Unless this is something new but I have RRSPs and LIRAs in Canada and am deemed a non-resident by the CRA. In fact, just renewed my non-residency status last year with CRA.

As I do not have a VPN, I am unable to quote from the CRA site directly.

"Who’s eligible for an RRSP? Opening an RRSP is super easy. The only conditions for eligibility are that you’re under 71 years of age, are a Canadian resident for tax purposes, and file income taxes in Canada."

https://www.wealthsimple.com/en-ca/learn/what-is-rrsp

21 minutes ago, WideSky said:

This site says you can keep an existing RRSP? I was advised to slowly withdraw mine until gone, the CA in Vancouver may have a reason for telling me that which I am unaware of. 

"Non-residents of Canada can continue to hold RRSPs after leaving Canada. Income and gains in an RRSP are considered tax-free in Canada and in many foreign countries with which Canada has tax treaties and where non-residents may live."

https://mcacrossborder.com/blog/non-residents-and-registered-retirement-savings-plans-rrsps/

And here's another one...

https://www.moneysense.ca/save/investing/rrsp/i-dont-live-in-canada-can-i-still-invest-in-rrsps/

And, btw, you CAN maintain an Investment Account in Canada when you become a non-resident. HOWEVER, when you become a non-resident, you must do a "deemed disposition" and pay the capital gains owing. We did that and it will have proved worthwhile because the kids will inherit the porfolio with no capital gains owing because I'm a non-resident. In 24 years, it has gone up substantially but I only pay a flat 15% at source for income that is transferred to me.

Many things to consider so make your choices wisely.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ferret said:

LOL! The U.S. considers you taxable for LIFE no matter where you are.

They can dig me up and try to collect. I haven't paid them a dime in 20 years.

Wow, soon I can run for President. I am qualified.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ferret said:

LOL! The U.S. considers you taxable for LIFE no matter where you are. I'd rather have rules and choices.

https://money.cnn.com/2014/12/07/pf/astronaut-taxes-irs/index.html

Nobody escapes U.S. taxes - even astronauts

Americans just cannot escape the Internal Revenue Service -- even by strapping on a space suit and blasting themselves into outer space.

• Haha 3

Thanks to all who posted information especially the private messages. Most of the information I had seen before now I have my answer what is the best solution for my particular solution.

Darryl:  You have a lot of bad info here.  Equivalent to people saying that they drove 200KM an hour on the highway and didn't get a ticket, so that must be the new speed limit!  There are indeed advantages and disadvantages to both Cdn residency and Non-residency and the list for both is quite detailed.  CRA only provides general info and they really don't have full knowledge if you call the "Help" desk.  The only way to be sure is to run both scenarios and decide based on facts.  Also, do not confuse residency/non-residency issues with Provincial Medical.  The Provincial rules apply (eg 153 days in the province) even if you remain a "resident" for tax purposes.  There are also substantial penalties if you become a non-resident and do not correctly complete the "Emigration" return in the year that you officially depart.  If you want a comparison of the pros & cons of each, and your 2020 taxes completed correctly in either case, contact Brian @ Mex cell 333-451-8139.

I wouldn’t be contacting Brian in Mexico about anything, from reading his post you can he doesn’t have a clue about anything..   

Check with each province about the medical rules,, for at least 15 yrs the Ontario rule is you can be out of the province for 172 days before you lose the medical..  Because of Covid19 the rule is no longer in effect.. so it doesn’t matter how long you have been away your covered for medical as soon as you return.. 

I have found If you call or email the relevant ministry in Canada they are very helpful and can give you the correct and up to date information.. 

Here's the actual Ontario OHIP absence rules link:   (212 days / 7 months out of country in 12 months is the right answer to what is the limit)

Questions and Answers - Ontario Health Insurance Plan - Ministry Programs - Public Information - MOH (gov.on.ca)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...