Chapala.com Webboard

Best clumping cat litter?

I'm sure this has been discussed before but I'm interested in what's currently available. I don't want to have to go too far for it either, because my car's been having problems. 

My current brand of litter seems to have changed their formula and it no longer holds together so you can remove to freshen the box. I'm hoping to find a replacement that doesn't cost a fortune, isn't perfumed and performs better in terms of clumping factor. What is everyone using?

I've been using Arena Bob (Walmart only) 10 kg bag for several years.  Up to 6 indoor cats.... currently at 4. I think it has been altered just a little in recent months.... maybe since they came out with their "upgraded" box of approx. 6 kg that I SUSPECT is a bid to undercut Scoop Away (imported and WAY to expensive for this pet household). It's not perfumed and the cats like it.

So even though it's not quite as good as  I think it used to be ("third age" can play mind games with us)   it's still the best one for my money and budget. And I only buy the 10 kg bag because the 5 kg is only a few pesos less.... go figure.

• 3 weeks later...

Then you might want to try the BOXED Arena Bob..... says it's "better" (forget the exact term used on the label) and I suspect is trying to compete with Scoop Away, etc.  Only 6 or 6.5 kg, vs. 10 kg for the large bag, but at the price is still a lot more affordable than the imported ones. Also only available at Walmart.

I'm not having the same issues as you most of the time. VERY well clumped this a.m. for overnight cleaning.  Quien sabe?????

14 hours ago, More Liana said:

I have been buying Special Kitty at Walmart.  It comes in a 9-kilo box, it has a little fragrance, it clumps really well, and the cats like it.  All four of them.

I see you're in Michoacán.  Have never seen that brand in the Lakeside WM, but will look for it next time I'm in the store. Maybe only available in certain locations? Meow-chas gracias.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/20/2021 at 8:00 PM, More Liana said:

I have been buying Special Kitty at Walmart.  It comes in a 9-kilo box, it has a little fragrance, it clumps really well, and the cats like it.  All four of them.

THANK YOU More Liana!!!  Found a box of Special Kitty (rarely seen in our WM) and weighed out 3 kg. to put in one (of 3) boxes.  Divided remaining 5 kg    "Bob" into the other two.  Calculated how many days Special Kitty portion would have to last (before topping up) in order to equate  in price per kg/days used) to make cost effective against Bob.

Well.... guess it doesn't matter.  Cats have voted. PAWS UP for Special Kitty. 😻 That box has had so much more use than the otehr 2 it's no contest. And yes, it clumps really hard and fast, tracks less, and is hanging in there even with unfair "use comparison". Only thing is now Karina G. and I will have to compete for Special Kitty when it's on the shelves!!!      (Based on price per kg. basis, Arena Bob in the box is an option if necessary, but no idea how it compares in performance to Special Kitty.)

4 hours ago, AndyPanda said:

Natasha, did you get the SK at WalMart here? I've been buying 20k bags of Sunny at Lakeside Friends of the Animals for $300p which works about the way you describe the SK, but saving a few sheckles would be good.

20 KG??? That's 44 lb...... 😲    more than this person could LIFT!  Have never seen a bag or box of litter that big......ever.  But if it is in fact 20 kg then the price you are paying now is cheaper than SK at 169 for 9 kg. And yes.... it was Walmart.

7 hours ago, Natasha said:

20 KG??? That's 44 lb...... 😲    more than this person could LIFT!  Have never seen a bag or box of litter that big......ever.  But if it is in fact 20 kg then the price you are paying now is cheaper than SK at 169 for 9 kg. And yes.... it was Walmart.

I think Costco sold, maybe still sells, these overly heavy bags of Kittie litter, which years back I did not think was that heavy. Boy, have things changed as I grew older and older and ................

19 hours ago, johanson said:

I think Costco sold, maybe still sells, these overly heavy bags of Kittie litter, which years back I did not think was that heavy. Boy, have things changed as I grew older and older and ................

Costco sells Scoop Away in 19 kilo bags.  I get a guy at the exit to take it to the car and put it in the trunk.  I can lift it out, and I wheel it on my 2-wheel grocery shopping cart to the place where I keep it and push it into place.  

On 2/15/2021 at 9:36 AM, Natasha said:

THANK YOU More Liana!!!  Found a box of Special Kitty (rarely seen in our WM) and weighed out 3 kg. to put in one (of 3) boxes.  Divided remaining 5 kg    "Bob" into the other two.  Calculated how many days Special Kitty portion would have to last (before topping up) in order to equate  in price per kg/days used) to make cost effective against Bob.

Well.... guess it doesn't matter.  Cats have voted. PAWS UP for Special Kitty. 😻 That box has had so much more use than the otehr 2 it's no contest. And yes, it clumps really hard and fast, tracks less, and is hanging in there even with unfair "use comparison". Only thing is now Karina G. and I will have to compete for Special Kitty when it's on the shelves!!!      (Based on price per kg. basis, Arena Bob in the box is an option if necessary, but no idea how it compares in performance to Special Kitty.)

Natasha, what an amazing system you have!  I'm glad your cats have voted and that you agree with them, and that I could help.  

Have you ever ordered online from Walmart?  They'll deliver Special Kitty to your door--and put it in the place you want to store it.  I often buy several boxes, since the Walmart where I shop--like your Walmart--is sometimes out of it.  When they have it, I grab it!

2 hours ago, More Liana said:

Natasha, what an amazing system you have!  I'm glad your cats have voted and that you agree with them, and that I could help.  

Have you ever ordered online from Walmart?  They'll deliver Special Kitty to your door--and put it in the place you want to store it.  I often buy several boxes, since the Walmart where I shop--like your Walmart--is sometimes out of it.  When they have it, I grab it!

Gracias More Liana..... yes, I'm nothing if not systematic (some would say TOO much so)😁. Today put another 3 kg SK in    the one box, and 2.5 kg Bob in each of the other two. Problem is I have 4 1/2 bags of Bob left, so will keep this up until Bob is used up. Meanwhile will start to stock up on SK. 

9 - 10 kg per item is no problem for me to move  ( in multiples of up to 6).  Don't go to Costco so happy this is a good option for all of us.